Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 02-02-2016, 03:49 PM   #1
rainbowreader
rainbowreader began at the beginning.

Device: none
How to optimize this pdf for sony prs-650

Hey, I just got a sony prs 650 for reading old books that are out of print. I'm currently trying to optimize the following book using K2PDFOPT: https://archive.org/details/anelementarycou03goodgoog

Now with the standard settings on K2PDFOPT, it's converting several things (sometimes equations, sometimes text, etc) to different sizes, so that the end result has some things looking really large.

Unfortunately, I'm not experienced with this program to know which settings will work best, so I tried some random stuff like native output but it still makes some text really big and others small, etc.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks
rainbowreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:46 PM   #2
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowreader View Post
Hey, I just got a sony prs 650 for reading old books that are out of print. I'm currently trying to optimize the following book using K2PDFOPT: https://archive.org/details/anelementarycou03goodgoog

Now with the standard settings on K2PDFOPT, it's converting several things (sometimes equations, sometimes text, etc) to different sizes, so that the end result has some things looking really large.

Unfortunately, I'm not experienced with this program to know which settings will work best, so I tried some random stuff like native output but it still makes some text really big and others small, etc.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks
I would just use:

Code:
-mode fw -ls-
You can leave out the -ls- if you want higher magnification, but you'll have to turn your reader sideways.

You may want to do a hundred pages at a time or so just to break it up a little. Adding the crop margin settings below might help a little--it should crop out some of the scan artifacts without impacting the text on most of the pages:

Code:
-m 0.38in,0.71in,0.43in,0.91in
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2016, 09:48 PM   #3
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
You probably also want to install prs+ which will greatly enhance the pdf reading interface.

@willus. Thanks for k2pdfopt info. I need to explore it more.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:05 AM   #4
rainbowreader
rainbowreader began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
I would just use:

Code:
-mode fw -ls-
You can leave out the -ls- if you want higher magnification, but you'll have to turn your reader sideways.

You may want to do a hundred pages at a time or so just to break it up a little. Adding the crop margin settings below might help a little--it should crop out some of the scan artifacts without impacting the text on most of the pages:

Code:
-m 0.38in,0.71in,0.43in,0.91in
Hey, thanks for this - the mode fw works a charm! However, I was only able to get to it by clicking the "Trim Margins" button under where it says "Custom Preset", so I don't know how to get to "-mode fw -is-". (Basically, is it possible to manually edit the text under "command-line version of options", and if so how? Thanks again!
rainbowreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:21 AM   #5
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowreader View Post
Hey, thanks for this - the mode fw works a charm! However, I was only able to get to it by clicking the "Trim Margins" button under where it says "Custom Preset", so I don't know how to get to "-mode fw -is-". (Basically, is it possible to manually edit the text under "command-line version of options", and if so how? Thanks again!
That's an "el" (L) in the -ls-, as in turn off LandScape mode (which is turned on by default when you select "-mode fw"). You can get that by unchecking the "Output in landscape" checkbox. The "-mode fw" can be obtained by pulling down the "Conversion Mode" menu and selecting "fitwidth". There are many options that cannot be selected in the GUI, however, and these can be entered into the "Additional options" box. See attached screen shot. Also, right-clicking on most of the GUI controls will bring up a help dialog box that tells what the control does.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k2screenshot.png
Views:	629
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	146097  
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert