Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-01-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
Question about Cybook PDF support

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade from the PRS-500 to an E Ink reader that natively supports PDF, and especially HTML. I prefer the size of the Cybook to the Iliad (the Sony Reader fits in my coat pockets), but have a question.

What's the current state of the Cybook's PDF support? I'm particularly interested in whether or not it can rescale letter-size documents without manual conversion. Having to convert PDFs prior to transferring them is one of my motivations for finding a more capable reader, but the various reviews I've read are unclear and very likely outdated.
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
PDF support on the Gen3 is extremely poor. I really would not buy one if PDF is important to you. It will display some PDF documents, but it seems to be pretty much "pot luck" what will or won't display. Docs formatted for A4/Letter will generally be pretty unreadable on a 6" screen.

The only eInk bookreader which could be described as "good" for such files is the iRex iLiad, with its larger 8" screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
Thanks, Harry. I just read the "Buggy as hell" thread, and it reaffirmed by reservations about the Cybook. Is the Iliad more or less drag-and-drop with HTML/PDF docs, requiring no desktop conversion? All things considered, that's a higher priority to me than the smaller form factor I would otherwise prefer.

By the way, what's the experience of writing on the Iliad now? I haven't followed the device since the first edition was released.
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
None of the readers reflow text PDF’s, they see the page as a fixed one, so there is just one solution: the bigger the screen the better - thus the Iliad as a better reader.

The 6 inch screen has not enough size to let one read “normal” PDF’s, what it does is to resize the image, or let you read it in landscape and at better half page of each page - still crap most of the time.

The unique solution is if Bookeen would upgrade the software that permits the reading of PDF’s to support “tagged” PDF’s and so reflow the text accordingly.
Something Adobe’s own reader does for the pocketpc tinny screens, since at least 2002!!!
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:44 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
The unique solution is if Bookeen would upgrade the software that permits the reading of PDF’s to support “tagged” PDF’s and so reflow the text accordingly.
Something Adobe’s own reader does for the pocketpc tinny screens, since at least 2002!!!
Bookeen used Fitz/MuPDF for their PDF rendering. If that library adds reflow, it's likely to appear in Cybook too. I doubt Bookeen is going to add reflow support on their own.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2008, 08:47 PM   #6
ChrisM12743
ChrisM
ChrisM12743 began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen cybook gen3
Unfortunately, Cybooks PDF handling characteristics still need some fine tuning!
ChrisM12743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:49 PM   #7
ChrisM12743
ChrisM
ChrisM12743 began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen cybook gen3
Hey Gameboy,

I own a cybookgen3, and yes I can read PDF, however, the ability to increase or decrease font size seems to be lacking, or maybe I just don't know to do it. The GEN3 is a marvelous little reader though, you would be hard pressed to find a better one!
ChrisM12743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:47 PM   #8
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM12743 View Post
I own a cybookgen3, and yes I can read PDF, however, the ability to increase or decrease font size seems to be lacking, or maybe I just don't know to do it.
You cannot change size of fonts - not on Cybook, not on any other platform. All you can do is zoom in/out.

What you need is reflow - for content to arrange itself according to the size of the screen. But that's another thing entirely...

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:33 AM   #9
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Igorsk

Did not know that! Thanks for the information.

Any info if the library you mention will offer the reflow of text functionality? and if so any timeline for it to appear?

Even if I myself do not read much eBooks in PDF format, I do recognize, even if just because the format is almost 100% “owner” of the Business and Journal Academic markets, that the first reader who offers reflow text in PDF’s is going to sell their hardware faster that all the competition combined.

Best regards,

Last edited by DDHarriman; 06-02-2008 at 07:41 AM.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote