Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 09-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Marvin Free Edition for iPhone and iPod touch

After listening to your feedback, I've decided to release a free edition of Marvin for iPhone and iPod touch. The free edition has all the features of the full, paid version with the following two limitations:
  • Your home and library screen will show one book.
  • You cannot make in-app purchases (you wouldn't be able to "carry them over" if you upgrade to the full version later on).

You can get the free edition here.

Enjoy.

Last edited by kguil; 09-28-2013 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Clarity.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Question

What does "maximum 1 book in Library" mean? I mean, a Library with 1 book is no library, it's just 1 book.

It would be helpful if the app description in the App Store made it clear what exactly the differences between the free and non-free versions are. It's one of the big annoyances in the App Store when such differences are not clarified. It's not even clear to me from the post above.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can have a thousand books. Marvin will only show the "first".

The limitation is made clear immediately when you enter the library screen.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question

Sorry, I still don't understand. I don't think it should be required for someone to actually install an app to find out what the differences to the paid version are. The App Store description says nothing at all about this.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
Kretzer
out of depth
Kretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: iPad2, iPhone 5, Kindle3 3G
Hm, I am afraid I'm a little slow tonight ... I can import thousands of books but only see one? What would I do with all the others then?

Just recently I thought that limiting the number of books would be the only way to have a trial version that shows everything the app can do. So I guess that makes sense (just that I'd find it hard to explain why exactly the iPad version is free and the iPhone one isn't, but that's a different topic ..)

In any case, I also think the descriptions in the App Store should explain the difference and the limitation of the paid app. The German version doesn't do that either, it doesn't even tell you there is actually a full iPhone app available. There is only a mention of a "free and fully functional" iPad app.

Last edited by Kretzer; 09-28-2013 at 05:13 PM. Reason: edit: "limitation of the free app" I meant, of course. Anyway, you get the point ...
Kretzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Question

I can only guess what you mean by the above hints about the Library, Kris, but if it's actually as bad as it sounds -- seeing only one book title on the Library screen (how do you switch to a different book, then?) -- this would make Marvin Free's functionality so seriously crippled I'd find myself unable to recommend Marvin Free to anyone, although I only consider Library issues to be of tertiary importance.

It just does not seem that keeping the user guessing about the differences between free and non-free versions is a good strategy. Forcing users to install the free version before finding out, is hardly a good strategy either.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
kguil
Addict

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kretzer View Post
Just recently I thought that limiting the number of books would be the only way to have a trial version that shows everything the app can do.
I could understand an "import 30, show 30" limit, but "import 1000, show 1"? That has me flummoxed.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
Kretzer
out of depth
Kretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blueKretzer can differentiate black from dark navy blue

I went back to the store to verify that the descriptions of the free and paid app are actually identical. Then I noticed that version 2.1.5 popped up that very moment. Wow, have to check that asap!

So that's why I got those error messages ... maybe the descriptions also got messed up in the process?
Old 09-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
kguil
Addict

@Kretzer Deleting the book you see, presumably after you've read it, will reveal the next one.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #11
Kretzer
out of depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I could understand an "import 30, show 30" limit, but "import 1000, show 1"? That has me flummoxed.
I know, I haven't got it yet, either
Old 09-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #12
Kretzer
out of depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
@Kretzer Deleting the book you see, presumably after you've read it, will reveal the next one.
Oh right, now I understand a bit more ... would people know they can do it, though?
Old 09-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #13
kguil
Addict

@Kretzer - The descriptions are the same. However, in neither of the descriptions there's a reference to how many books the library can contain.

Apple have very strict rules about how you can describe "free" and "lite" versions of apps both within it and in the app store description. Describing apps in terms of their limitations compared to a "full" version is frowned upon.

@Faterson - I'm sorry you see the limitation as being so crippling that you wouldn't recommend it. I think it is perfect for (a) people who want to try M out before buying the full version (something *many* people asked for here on MR and elsewhere), or (b) just want to keep one book with them on the go.

Last edited by kguil; 09-28-2013 at 04:57 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #14
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
I apologise, but that's ridiculous. I would instantly delete any e-reader app from my iPhone that behaved in this way. I've seen many apps that are seriously crippled in their free versions, but this would take the crown.

I am afraid this may seriously hurt Marvin's reputation. I mean, how are users expected to test all the Library sorting options in Marvin Free, when there is basically no Library in Marvin Free? And just because 1 book displays fine, I'm supposed to delete it before checking if another book also displays fine? And I can't compare the display of various books in quick succession? Those are absolute basics, to me, before I even start using an e-reader app.

100% worthless app in this setup, imo. Sorry, Kris. That would be a clear-cut 1-star review if I bothered to review it (but I won't).
Old 09-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #15
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
this would make Marvin Free's functionality so seriously crippled I'd find myself unable to recommend Marvin Free to anyone, although I only consider Library issues to be of tertiary importance.
I suppose it would be more accurate to call it a "trial" version—intended so you can test the reading and library management features of M before paying if you only have an iPhone. But I am guessing that language is forbidden from the App Store since I have never seen it used in another app title. 👀 (eye roll)
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote