Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #736
SusiQ
Enthusiast
SusiQ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Calibre doesn't seem to "see" the Aura. Is there a plugin I need?
SusiQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #737
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusiQ View Post
Calibre doesn't seem to "see" the Aura. Is there a plugin I need?
I think the plugin comes with Calibre...it's called Kobo Touch...make sure it's enabled.

Do you have the latest version of Calibre? It was updated recently to also support the Aura.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #738
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
I think the plugin comes with Calibre...it's called Kobo Touch...make sure it's enabled.

Do you have the latest version of Calibre? It was updated recently to also support the Aura.
Even before then you could work around it by connecting to the drive as a standalone folder, though you lose some nice bits like Shelves etc.
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #739
SusiQ
Enthusiast
SusiQ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Updating now. Thank you & I'm sure I'll be back!!
SusiQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #740
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Quote:
if you use calibre, try having calibre send covers for all your books. I recommend taking all your books off and putting them all back on using this method. this way, kobo never has to create a cover, they're already there waiting. I never seem to have to wait anymore for covers to load.
I always use Calibre to send my books to the Kobo and I still have the problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
Yes, as soon as you finish reading a book trash it.. That's what I do.. I have never re -read a book in my life. Saves shelf space.. I actually give them away ASAP for someone else to enjoy rather than hoarding them in my house or e-reader.. that way your e-reader will be trouble free.
I reread a lot. Unless I can't even finish it the first time I never trash a book. I've reread my favourite book over 20 times.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #741
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Are you saying that you upgraded the Aura HD to a 64GB internal card?
I have a real vested interest in finding out whether someone has done so
without problems. (Like the touchscreen no longer working.)
Nah, just the external one. However, there's no reason it wouldn't be the same for the internal one.

From my own experimentations with other devices, I doubt that your unfortunate touchscreen issue is due just to the card itself (though the OS partition transfer may have resulted in a corrupted driver? -> putting back the original card would be an easy way to check) I'd rather think that while taking the Aura apart and/or putting it back together, something happened with the hardware...
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #742
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertheglobe View Post
Nah, just the external one. However, there's no reason it wouldn't be the same for the internal one.

From my own experimentations with other devices, I doubt that your unfortunate touchscreen issue is due just to the card itself (though the OS partition transfer may have resulted in a corrupted driver? -> putting back the original card would be an easy way to check) I'd rather think that while taking the Aura apart and/or putting it back together, something happened with the hardware...
The original uSD card works, or rather Not Works, the same. One potential
hazard that I ignored was attempting to operate the device out of its case.
(I wanted to check that the new card was recognized with the additional
storage space) It is then that I first noticed the lack of a touchscreen.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #743
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I don't expect it to have as many features as PRS+. Among the features I mentioned, though, the only thing that's a must have for me is tap anywhere for next page. How hard could it be for Kobo to add a couple more touchscreen settings which includes that? One of the touchscreen settings is already pretty similar to the Kindle's "Easy Reach Tap Zones". Kobo just needs to make the left zone smaller to accommodate smaller hands.
Kobo can't sort the books consistantly in a large collection. I guess some things aren't as easy for some as for others.

Oh well

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #744
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittybye View Post
I always use Calibre to send my books to the Kobo and I still have the problems..
What I meant was, do you use the "Upload covers for books" option? If you do this before kobo tries to create covers for your books, then they are already in the images folder and kobo won't create covers at all. After I took off all my books, then added them back using that option, shelves load instantly and so does browsing through "Books".

In my case, I took them off the main memory and put them onto an external SD card, this time using the upload covers option and since then I've had no lag at all.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #745
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Quote:
What I meant was, do you use the "Upload covers for books" option? If you do this before kobo tries to create covers for your books, then they are already in the images folder and kobo won't create covers at all. After I took off all my books, then added them back using that option, shelves load instantly and so does browsing through "Books".

In my case, I took them off the main memory and put them onto an external SD card, this time using the upload covers option and since then I've had no lag at all.
All my books have the covers I want before I put them on the Kobo. I'm very fussy about covers.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #746
Uschiekid
Tenrec

Quote:
All my books have the covers I want before I put them on the Kobo. I'm very fussy about covers.
Okay, if that's not it, then I really don't know, cause that fixed any lag for me.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #747
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Got to say, I'm really loving the Espresso color. Last night it was a very dark brown that looked almost black, now, in the daytime, it's a chocolatey brown. I love the warmer tone as opposed to just plain dull black (which I assume is what the Onyx would be). It also looks really nice against wood furniture. Most of my devices just scream "Hey, I'm an electronic gadget" (even the iPad, as elegant looking as it is). The Kobo Aura HD in Espresso just looks natural (despite the plastic).

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Kobo can't sort the books consistantly in a large collection. I guess some things aren't as easy for some as for others.
slightly OT rant:
That's another gripe I have with the popular readers in general. With most dedicated readers featuring at least 2GB (~1.5GB useable) storage and boasting about being able to hold 1,500 books or more, why is it that library management seems to be an afterthought on most of these devices? If not for Calibre, I shudder to think what managing books on these devices would be like. If free or inexpensive apps such as Stanza, Mantano and Marvin can implement good library management/organization, why can't Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Kobo?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #748
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Got to say, I'm really loving the Espresso color. Last night it was a very dark brown that looked almost black, now, in the daytime, it's a chocolatey brown. I love the warmer tone as opposed to just plain dull black (which I assume is what the Onyx would be). It also looks really nice against wood furniture. Most of my devices just scream "Hey, I'm an electronic gadget" (even the iPad, as elegant looking as it is). The Kobo Aura HD in Espresso just looks natural (despite the plastic).

slightly OT rant:
That's another gripe I have with the popular readers in general. With most dedicated readers featuring at least 2GB (~1.5GB useable) storage and boasting about being able to hold 1,500 books or more, why is it that library management seems to be an afterthought on most of these devices? If not for Calibre, I shudder to think what managing books on these devices would be like. If free or inexpensive apps such as Stanza, Mantano and Marvin can implement good library management/organization, why can't Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Kobo?
Or just provide access to the common file structure that most are familiar
with. I have no problem on my jetBooks dealing with over 8000 ebooks.
I have 6 pages of folders on my main menu. My SciFi folder has 120 pages
of its menu of alphanumeric sorted files/ebooks. The titles displayed on
the menu are (by my choice) in order by author then title. It is easy to
go to the "SciFi" folder in the main menu, then find say "John Wyndham,
Day of The Triffids" by using the "Jump to Page" function and guessing
where it would fall alphanumerically, then page forward or back to find it.

I can use all the file handling power of my PC to work with this sort of
file management and copy/clone a folder to my devices. Not so with
those you mention. Calibre does a good job trying to "Manage ebooks
not files" and in the process provides a means to do what the simple
OS file system already provides to those with devices that support the
normal computer file structure.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #749
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I seem to have the worst luck with ereaders. My Kobo takes forever to load the covers of my books and seems to freeze when until all the books have their cover, any ideas?
Did you check the box in the Kobo plug-in for Calibre to send covers?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:32 AM   #750
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
I had a chance to look at the Aura first hand a the Chapters bookstore.

From a distance the Aura and the Glo looks the same.

Upon further inspection Aura have the following differences:

Wider Screen: The Aura has the widest screen of all the Kobo Readers even the Kobo Arc. (The Arc is tall, while the Arc is fat).

Thinner: I felt the Aura looked thinner compared to the Glo.

Back Cover: The back cover is smooth - totally different from the rubberized rugged back cover of the Glo. The Aura back cover feels more like a shell. It reminds of a those plastic cafeteria trays from high school or a TV Dinner tray.

Text: Text does look crisper on the Aura.

Software: While the front interface looks different. the software function is the same as the Glo. The extra games like Word Scramble and Solitaire was unplayable. The Aura browser is lousy as the Glo. The Aura cannot handle pages with complex scripts.

At the end I didn't get the Aura because the store didn't have any back cover in stock. I didn't want to get only the Aura and have it naked without a cover.

I am still hesitate getting the Aura and the back cover because the cost is over $200.

Last edited by RZetlin; 05-08-2013 at 10:03 AM.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote