Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
Hughdal
Connoisseur
Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Ex Sony-Ex Nook-New PW User
B&N Experiencing technical problems, blah, blah, blah

For the last two weeks most times I try to buy a Nook book from the B&N site I get the "We are experiencing technical problems, please try again later." I don't know if it's the site (don't think so) there would be thread on it, my country of purchase, I travel a lot or something else. Any advise appreciated.

Hughdal
Hughdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughdal View Post
For the last two weeks most times I try to buy a Nook book from the B&N site I get the "We are experiencing technical problems, please try again later." I don't know if it's the site (don't think so) there would be thread on it, my country of purchase, I travel a lot or something else. Any advise appreciated.

Hughdal
I have had no problems the last few weeks, so the website is indeed probably not the problem.

If your B&N account is registered with an US credit card, you should be able to books anywhere in the world.
If your B&N account is registered with an non-US credit card than you need an US IP-address. In that case you will not be able to buy books using the ereader outside the US. You will have to use an PC with an US VPN.
In both cases your account needs to be registered with an US shipping and billing address.

Also make sure that you have a valid credit card in your account.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

I just bought an ebook yesterday.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I have had that happen once, maybe two months ago, and I tried a bit later and was able to buy it.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
Hughdal
Connoisseur
Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.

Thanks for the reply's. The answer is US credit card with US address which has worked without a problem for almost a year. As I said it's intermentent, I can download a book OK and then the next 6 attempts are blah blah blah. Have switched over to Kobo till I figure this out.

Hughdal
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply's. The answer is US credit card with US address which has worked without a problem for almost a year. As I said it's intermentent, I can download a book OK and then the next 6 attempts are blah blah blah. Have switched over to Kobo till I figure this out.

Hughdal
Some credit card companies block the credit card when they see a lot of small payments. Does your problem happen after buying several ebooks in a row?
Old 02-21-2013, 03:10 AM   #7
Hughdal
Connoisseur

No I don't see a pattern with the credit card purchases and my provider has confirmed they have not blocked my card for any reason. I thought it might be the web sense company blocker but multiple tries on a un-blocked wi-fi serice gave the same results. I've also tried on 1 other PC to see if it was a cookie or fire wall issue, same problem. Thanks for all the comments, i'll report back when and if i get this sorted and hopefully the reason why. Kobo's a pretty good site, give it a try when B&N blah, blah, blah's you.

Hughdal
Old 02-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #8
Hughdal
Connoisseur

The saga continues:
Can make on line ebook purchase for 99 cents but nothing higher.
Phoned credit card provider and was assured no problem with card.
Phoned Barnes & Noble and they confirmed everything looks good from their side.
Phoned bank and confirmed money in account.
Live chat with Barnes & Noble to no avail.
Im stumped

Hughdal
Old 02-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #9
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I have to guess there's a bug with your B&N account. If your bank had a problem, it seems like you wouldn't be able to get the 99 cent books. It sounds very frustrating. Have you tried switching your account to a different credit card, or even switching and then switching back to the one you're using? If your account is acting up, mabye that would "reset" it and make things work better.

I don't know why they wouldn't be more helpful when you've called and be on the live chat. "I want to spend money with you but I can't." That is a problem to solve. No wonder B&N is having financial problems. I mean I know there are other issues, but customer service has to be good to compete in this world.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #10
geertm
Guru

Try deleting the credit card from your B&N account, then add it again.

You could try to use the erase and deregister option, and register your Nook anew. That often solves all kind of weird problems.
This will delete all the data on your Nook! You will have to download your B&N content again! And of course make sure you have a backup of any sideloaded content!

As a temporary workaround you could try to buy a gift card. You can add the gift card to your B&N account. Then the books will be paid with the gift card, and the credit card will only be verified for the DRM.

Last edited by geertm; 02-27-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #11
Hughdal
Connoisseur

I did delete and re-add the credit card to no avail. It's the only US card I have so no using another card. I'll probably have to go down the de-registure road cause I'm plum out of ideas. Would the Adobe DRM app keep the books I've bought stored anywhere else but on the nook? Would my B&N purchases still be saved on their server? Just asking before I get started.

Hughdal
Old 02-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #12
geertm
Guru

Quote:
I did delete and re-add the credit card to no avail. It's the only US card I have so no using another card. I'll probably have to go down the de-registure road cause I'm plum out of ideas. Would the Adobe DRM app keep the books I've bought stored anywhere else but on the nook? Would my B&N purchases still be saved on their server? Just asking before I get started.

Hughdal
Your B&N books are stored on their server, you will just have to download them again (you will see all the covers with a download banner).

In the case of Adobe DRM books that you have sideloaded those books will be deleted. So if you do not have a backup of those books on your PC (which you always should have), copy those from the Nook back to your PC.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:50 AM   #13
Hughdal
Connoisseur

Ok, thanks.

Hugdal
Old 04-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #14
Hughdal
Connoisseur

Probably no one following tis thread anymore but I did want to report I solved the problem. It wasn't the credit card or the software or a Barnes & Noble problem. What is was, I was trying to buy books while physically in the UK from the B&N US site. As the books weren't published yet in the UK, the software was tossing me out. It would of been helpful if the error message was more specific but there you have it. After all his frustration with B&N I took delivery on a Kindle Paperwhite yesterday.

The Glowlight was a fantastic e-reader let down by, I believe, a badly run parent company.

Hughdal
Old 04-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #15
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
It's the demise of B&N. The hardware is excellent, but the eco-system is on a death spiral.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote