Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Why you should deactivate your Facebook Acct

Sydney Morning Herald online published this reprint from Mashable this morning:

Why you should deactivate your Facebook account

In today's world, not having Facebook is akin to leprosy......

The existential crisis of the 21st century has become: "If something happens and you don't put it on Facebook, did it ever happen?"

Here are the 8 reasons why they say to ditch the account:

1. Unconscious addiction
2. Low self-esteem
3. The job hunt
4. Applying to university
5. The breakup
6. Facebook envy
7. Exam time
8. Privacy

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/d...714-2py1a.html

PS: I don't subscribe to Facebook
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
SouthernSun
Connoisseur
SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.SouthernSun can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Other studies have shown that employers may believe a person not on Facebook is a psychopath, although that's one of the most extreme conclusions.
I stopped reading at this line - nobody with the ability to capably employ others is daft enough to make assumptions about a person's mental health based on the websites they frequent; if they are, nobody, social networker or not, should want to become their employee.

This article seems to make a big fuss over nothing - or, perhaps I simply don't befriend addictive people. My closest friends and my family members, myself included, are all fairly rare Facebook users. At least, compared to the "average" amount of Facebook time cited by this article - which I have trouble believing, but I suppose that people really can become addicted to everything.

I use Facebook in tandem with GoodReads, because I have bookish friends who use one and not the other. Aside from the occasional "check-in" posted by another person (you can tell the world where you are and who you're with), my Facebook wall is very rarely updated. I do check it a few times a week, as I have friends who have Facebook and don't have phones - Internet is often cheaper where I live. I check my messages, sometimes I have a brief scroll through my news feed, and I log off.

This article seems like a journalist clutching at straws on a slow day. "In today's news, human beings are narcissistic and obsessive! Coming up soon, the sky is blue!"
SouthernSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I've given up giving up on facebook... some of my friends are so completely involved with it, that they no longer communicate by any other method. Pick up the phone? send an email? nope. Facebook or forget it. Pretty sad, but I want to keep the connection with these people and so it goes. For me, the line is drawn at LinkedIn, the spammiest social networking site on the net.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:10 AM   #4
mukoan
Lord Of All That's Beige
mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
C'mon! The fact that this article exists on SMH, (regardless that it's a reprint from mashable), should indicate its horse-manure status.

Having said that, I don't subscribe to facebook either. I also like collecting bugs and staring at strangers for socially unacceptable lengths of time. Does that make me a psychopath?! Maybe... ok, whatever... the point is, I have people to stalk.
mukoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:10 AM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Facebook? What's that?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Why you should deactivate your Facebook Acct

I don't have a Facebook or a Twitter account. And a lot of my friends don't. I don't understand how this makes us psychopaths

Quote:
Not on Facebook? Employers, Psychiatrists May Think You're a Psychopath

There are more than 955 million Facebook users, and it could hurt you to not be one of them.

Some psychiatrists and employers now find it suspicious for an individual to keep off Facebook, reports The Daily Mail. That's because for today's young generation, having Facebook is considered "normal," while opting out is considered "abnormal."

Last edited by Gazella; 07-15-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
We psychopaths must stick together . I don't have a Facebook or a Twitter account either.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Here's what I know: I don't care in the least whether (rhetorical stranger) you does or doesn't use Facebook/Twitter. I'd appreciate it if (rhetorical strangers) y'all could find it in your hearts to reciprocate my indifference. Thanks.

The Facebook yea/nay discussions are just as meaningless as the Mac vs PC arguments (and in many ways more annoying). Don't be affected by what doesn't affect you.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #9
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
We psychopaths must stick together . I don't have a Facebook or a Twitter account either.
+1

As to communication with friends and "fb or forget it" - well, in my case it would be the latter; if Im not worth the time to return a call or email, then said friend is free to kiss me where the sun never shines.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
+1

As to communication with friends and "fb or forget it" - well, in my case it would be the latter; if Im not worth the time to return a call or email, then said friend is free to kiss me where the sun never shines.
It's probably largely a generational thing. I suspect that far fewer people in the 50+ age group (of which I'm a member) have FB accounts than is the case for the under 25s.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
It's probably largely a generational thing. I suspect that far fewer people in the 50+ age group (of which I'm a member) have FB accounts than is the case for the under 25s.
I'm 60+, Harry, and so are most of my friends :-/ Not that I have a lot.

@ Freeshadow.. I would be mostly alone if I didn't have the facebook connection. The reasons for this are not for discussion here.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #12
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
+2

Why use Facebook or Twitter when we have MobileRead
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #13
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
I'm 20 and my friends are between the ages of 20 and 23 and like I said in my earlier post we have neither. So I'm not sure it's a generational thing as I know people in their 40s and 50s who have Twitter accounts. People always assume that I have a Twitter account and when I tell them I don't they get really surprised as though they expect me to have one.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
So I'm not sure it's a generational thing as I know people in their 40s and 50s who have Twitter accounts.
So do I, but I also know a lot who don't, whereas all the young people I work with seem to spend half the day on Facebook . Perhaps I'm wrong - it's just an impression I get that older people are less likely to be into the whole "social networking" thing.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #15
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
So do I, but I also know a lot who don't, whereas all the young people I work with seem to spend half the day on Facebook . Perhaps I'm wrong - it's just an impression I get that older people are less likely to be into the whole "social networking" thing.
Don't know what you mean Harry, I like "social networking" - Pub's count right?

I haven't got the attention span to to use twit- ooh shiny
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote