Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Rumor: Next-gen Kindle Fire HD tables - specs are in!

The rumor mill has officially been kicked into high gear now, with BGR receiving further details from "multiple trusted sources" about the next-gen Kindle Fire HD tablets.

The 2nd gen 7-inch Kindle Fire HD is said to have the following specs:
  • 1920x1200 pixels display
  • "about" 2GHz Quad-core CPU (Qualcomm Snapdragon 800) with Adreno 330 graphics
  • 2GB RAM
  • choice of 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB internal storage
  • front-facing camera
  • WiFi and cell connectivity
  • Amazon-customized Android 4.2.2

The 8.9-inch model will feature similar specifications, except for its 2560x1600 pixels display and the addition of a 8MP rear camera.

Rumored launch date? Somewhere in fall 2013, perhaps around late September.

[via Gizmodo]
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Still not able to expand the memory via a micro SD Card.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Still not able to expand the memory via a micro SD Card.
Probably never will be as long as everybody is so gung ho about the "cloud".
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Probably never will be as long as everybody is so gung ho about the "cloud".
I've found that being able to mount my home server in the file manager to be a fair substitute. I'd still prefer SD support but I'm not hurting without it.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Mmm, Jelly Bean 4.2.2. Nice! Probably September announcement and November release again.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
And I guess the fact that the N7 2013 was just announced has nothing to do with these leaks... Cynic me, you say?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

I bet it will still have that horrible carousel! They will probably get rid of the carousel and actually add good text formatting options on the 12th of Never.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
And I guess the fact that the N7 2013 was just announced has nothing to do with these leaks... Cynic me, you say?
I fully agree. Gotta prevent folks from jumping on the new Nexus 7. Tell them what's in store for the new Fires and hope they'll wait.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I bet it will still have that horrible carousel! They will probably get rid of the carousel and actually add good text formatting options on the 12th of Never.
I hate that carousel! Luckily, it's easily remedied without rooting by adding a launcher.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
No Google Play. No Interest. Next?
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
The snapdragon 800 is the surprising spec. A bit overpowered for a locked down tablet.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

While the new Fire HD has a higher end processor, it's still lacking key features the Nexus 7 has:

Fire HD 7.2 vs Nexus 7.2
  • CPU: Snapdragon 800 vs Snapdragon S4 Pro
  • Speed: 2.0 GHz vs 1.5 GHz
  • GPU: Adreno 330 vs Adreno 320
  • Apps: Amazon vs Google Play
  • GPS: no vs yes
  • Compass: no vs yes
  • Rear Cam: no vs 5MP
Old 07-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #13
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Looks nice, but neither specs, looks or features make a blind bit of difference when it hasn't got a slot for an external memory card. I'll take a mediocre tablet with a slot over a fabulous one without every time.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #14
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Rumored launch date? Somewhere in fall 2013, perhaps around late September.
Right about the time the iPad 5 is rumored to ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The Tab Wars are in full swing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
While the new Fire HD has a higher end processor, it's still lacking key features the Nexus 7 has:

Fire HD 7.2 vs Nexus 7.2
  • CPU: Snapdragon 800 vs Snapdragon S4 Pro
  • Speed: 2.0 GHz vs 1.5 GHz
  • GPU: Adreno 330 vs Adreno 320
  • Apps: Amazon vs Google Play
  • GPS: no vs yes
  • Compass: no vs yes
  • Rear Cam: no vs 5MP
I'm really surprised that there's no rear camera on the 7" model. I think that's going to hurt them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I hate that carousel! Luckily, it's easily remedied without rooting by adding a launcher.
The carousel is annoying. I can't imagine anyone liking it.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The carousel is annoying. I can't imagine anyone liking it.
I don't know about like, but I can't say it's caused me any particular grief either.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote