Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #61
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I actually know of a handful of authors I will not buy because of how they behaved or because of their politics. I don't care if their work is any good - I don't want to be involved in supporting them.

I know people, for example, who won't buy OS Card because of his religious beliefs and/or statements he's made on his blog.

OS Card (whom I used to LOVE) went quite off the rails. I won't read him anymore, although I feel quite sorry for him (he seems to have taken the nosedive after the death of his child) - not so much because I disagree with him, but because I don't think he has anything more worth saying.

I don't think LMB's words or actions are in the same planet - much less the same ballpark.

YMMV, but I think this brouhaha is pretty small potatoes.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #62
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I know people, for example, who won't buy OS Card because of his religious beliefs and/or statements he's made on his blog.
Raises hand.

And there are a couple Baen authors I will no longer buy because of the right wing propaganda in current books.

I started this thread and I will say again that Ms. Bujold is completely within her rights to have the CD taken down. That said, the way she went about it was childish and much less than professional.

Oh... And she was still complaining in January of this year, not just October of 2011. See my links above.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2012, 02:29 AM   #63
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
That's what I thought, but then I read the 6 sample chapters. Click on the spoiler tag above to read the cliffhanger. It will drive you nuts and make you want to buy the eARC.
In that case, no thanks.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #64
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
I'm curious if the cd is still available to people buying cryoburn as ebook or if this was changed too.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #65
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
I'm curious if the cd is still available to people buying cryoburn as ebook or if this was changed too.
I bought Cryoburn as part of the monthly bundle and as of yesterday I still had access to the ISO image from the BAEN site. (I downloaded it to verify it, too.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #66
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
I believe if you buy the Cryoburb ebook, you still get the ISO image as something you can download if you want to.

Greg
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #67
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
And there are a couple Baen authors I will no longer buy because of the right wing propaganda in current books.
I think that qualifies as "avoiding author because of the quality/content of their work", as opposed to "avoiding author because of something they said/wrote online".

I will admit that I almost never buy anything from Tor because it's part of Macmillan even though I like a lot of their authors. While it's probably mostly B&N's fault that I can't download some books I bought before 4/1/10, I still blame Macmillan CEO John Sargent and the late Steve Jobs for the whole agency pricing fiasco. On the other hand, I also think Tor books are generally overpriced.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #68
camiller
Addict
camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wireless
Interesting discussion! I had notice the removal of Cryoburn from the Fifth Imperium and a couple similar sites. Kind of made me wonder if this was going to be a trend an if I should download all the remaining ISO's now. Perhaps I'll buy the Nov '10 bundle and get the Cryoburn CD that way.
camiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #69
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
Interesting discussion! I had notice the removal of Cryoburn from the Fifth Imperium and a couple similar sites. Kind of made me wonder if this was going to be a trend an if I should download all the remaining ISO's now. Perhaps I'll buy the Nov '10 bundle and get the Cryoburn CD that way.
Or just buy the Cryoburn ebook if the rest of the bundle has no appeal.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I think that qualifies as "avoiding author because of the quality/content of their work", as opposed to "avoiding author because of something they said/wrote online".

I will admit that I almost never buy anything from Tor because it's part of Macmillan even though I like a lot of their authors. While it's probably mostly B&N's fault that I can't download some books I bought before 4/1/10, I still blame Macmillan CEO John Sargent and the late Steve Jobs for the whole agency pricing fiasco. On the other hand, I also think Tor books are generally overpriced.
Tor is agency. Agency = price hike
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #71
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS-505(LC) & Rocket eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Plus with how long the Fifth Imperium has had the files up with no one complaining (at least as far as I've heard) I don't think it can be claimed that they were pirate books either.
In the past - after I made her CD available - I've seen LMB, herself, mention my site with no particular animosity.

Last November I became aware of her New! Improved! opinion of my site when she repeatedly referred to my site on Baen's Bar as 'that pirate site' and that I was 'giving away her life's work for free'. By the time the discussion thread was pointed out to me, it had petered out and with nothing new added for over two weeks, I declined to comment.

I was, I will admit, not particularly amused.

Prior to Toni dropping me a note after talking with MLB at DeepSouthCon (which I was planning to attend until real-life intervened) I had no direct contact with anyone about it. Certainly not with MLB, herself.
Dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #72
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Crying foul where there was no foul and generally behaving like the Fifth Imperium shot your dog: well that's unfortunate.
I can say, in all honesty, that I did not shoot her dog.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #73
Dahak
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
...but Baen has known about them for years now and could have altered the license on new CD's to prevent that practice.
Jim Baen knew about my CD hosting within the first few weeks, perhaps days, of when I started it.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #74
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
In the past - after I made her CD available - I've seen LMB, herself, mention my site with no particular animosity.

Last November I became aware of her New! Improved! opinion (...)

I was, I will admit, not particularly amused.
Remarkable development indeed.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:10 AM   #75
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Well, yes, if it was a mistake to release the CD under those terms, then it certainly wasn't fifthimperium's mistake.

There's no need to throw out the baby with the bathwater, though. Bujold is probably Baen's best writer. People can be wrong, sometimes.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote