Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 04:09 AM   #46
grechzoo
Enthusiast
grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grechzoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 or Sony PRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
My daughter wasn't feeling well today. When I went in to check on her she was reading a book on her tablet. (She's 10). She plays Angry Birds, but she loves reading too.
Yeah, but I think that forest from the trees statement rings true.

We are on a reading forum, and are obviously passionate about this interest. So of course the kids involved in our lives will be more inclined to read, whether you think you influenced it or not. (Of course you did in some way.)

Maybe the topic title is not accurate, but this generation has MORE distractions than last generation. And from just about every nephew, niece, cousin and friends with young ones I have been around, reading is close to a swear word. (No exaggeration.)

Even my younger brother refuses to accept that reading could be etertaining at the age of 23, not because he doesn't enjoy it. (The opposite, he has read and loved flowers for algernon and enders game one time years ago)

He is just lazy and so convinces himself its not worth the effort. Which I believe is the most common arguement against it these days.

You have internet, tv shows, games and movies, available at all times on demand on nearly every device.

Those hobbies all require less effort and attention span, and fill most peoples gap much more than a baseball game or old timey four channel TV did.
grechzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #47
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallOfCth'reader View Post
Angry Birds has to be the most tedious, over-hyped game every produced. Why it has done so well, I will never know.
Because what it does, it does very, very well. It might not be the first slingshot game, but it's definitely come closer than anyone else to perfecting the formula. Attractive, distinctive graphics, good audio, decent attention to the physics (everything reacts predictibly, but even the slightest variations of your impact point and angle can have huge effects), can be played in short bursts, gives you a reason to play levels multiple times, easy to learn but fairly hard to master, and Rovio's given a crapton of extra content post-release for each game without charging extra.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 09:12 AM   #48
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by grechzoo View Post
Maybe the topic title is not accurate, but this generation has MORE distractions than last generation. And from just about every nephew, niece, cousin and friends with young ones I have been around, reading is close to a swear word. (No exaggeration.)
Every generation has had numerous distractions. Before computers and video games, there was television. Before television, there was radio. Before radio, well, literacy wasn't even the norm. There are even less technological means of distractions. There were games of all forms: outdoors and indoors.

While it is true that there are more distractions today, it is only because the number of distractions had been cumulative. On the other hand, a lot of the old distractions have fallen by the wayside simply because they don't seem as appealing anymore. Think of things like card and board games: people can still play them (and still do play them), but they lack the appeal that they used to have. The same goes for things like sports: people can and do still play them, but they don't seem to be as popular these days (to play, watching them seems to be more popular than ever).

It is easy to notice what we have changed into. Sometimes it's easy to forget what we have changed from.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #49
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Every generation has had numerous distractions. Before computers and video games, there was television. Before television, there was radio. Before radio, well, literacy wasn't even the norm. There are even less technological means of distractions. There were games of all forms: outdoors and indoors.

While it is true that there are more distractions today, it is only because the number of distractions had been cumulative. On the other hand, a lot of the old distractions have fallen by the wayside simply because they don't seem as appealing anymore. Think of things like card and board games: people can still play them (and still do play them), but they lack the appeal that they used to have. The same goes for things like sports: people can and do still play them, but they don't seem to be as popular these days (to play, watching them seems to be more popular than ever).

It is easy to notice what we have changed into. Sometimes it's easy to forget what we have changed from.
We had plenty of distractions in the past. People still play cards, but not as much as they used to. I've looked at books of card games, and there are a lot of card games that have fallen by the wayside. And for solitaire, most people know one or two solitaire games, but there used to be a lot more. Boxing has declined, going out to the fights on Friday night used to be commonplace. Gambling used to me more commonplace than it is today.

There is a myth that in the past, everyone was an avid reader. But that looks more like selection bias, everyone I know may be a reader, but that's probably because I am more likely to associate with readers than with non-readers. Just because the past didn't have all of our passtimes doesn't mean they didn't have passtimes. Going out to a baseball game was more common in the past; you couldn't sit at home and watch the major leagues on TV, but you could watch the local minor league team. There were a lot more minor league teams than there are now.

And it can sometimes seem today that "nobody reads". There are a lot of people who don't read, but there are a lot of people who do. Harry Potter never would have become a phenomenon if young people didn't read. Reading may not be seen as the cool thing to do, but I don't know if it ever was. Consider the "wallflower" archetype who has his or her nose in a book. The "the life of the party" archetype doesn't have much time for books. The reader is often portrayed as someone who engages with fictional worlds rather than with the real one, either because of being lost in books (rather like Don Quixote) or they have retreated from reality due to rejection.

There are some people who look down on reading, and feel it is there place to make negative comments to readers. When I was reading at lunch, a coworker tried to tell me "men don't read". He was an idiot, and I ignored him. I would have to be truly weak and insecure to be swayed by this idiot attempting to challenge my masculinity.

I think one of the biggest influences on whether or not a child becomes a reader is having parents who read. Not just because of parents reading to children or encouraging reading (although these are important), but kids are observant. They can see whether their parents really value reading by seeing if the parents read. If the kids see that their parents want them to read, but their parents don't themselves read, they will observe that reading is like creamed spinach: something that is supposed to be good for you, but not something to enjoy. But if they see that their parents read, they will be more likely to see reading as something enjoyable than to see it as a chore.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #50
wpsolo
wpsolo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Because what it does, it does very, very well. It might not be the first slingshot game, but it's definitely come closer than anyone else to perfecting the formula. Attractive, distinctive graphics, good audio, decent attention to the physics (everything reacts predictibly, but even the slightest variations of your impact point and angle can have huge effects), can be played in short bursts, gives you a reason to play levels multiple times, easy to learn but fairly hard to master, and Rovio's given a crapton of extra content post-release for each game without charging extra.
And something that most mobile games don't do, constant updates to keep you hooked
wpsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert