Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-15-2007, 11:59 AM   #1
Kitty
Kitty began at the beginning.

Device: Aaahhhhahahahaha! It's heeeee-rrre! ... oh. CyBook
Flushed out by the "say hello" banner

I'll praise the Kindle for one thing - it renewed my interest in getting an e-book reader. I always thought an e-book device would be nifty, but models seemed to die as quickly as they were introduced. I gave up ever seeing one become popular enough to last in the market. ...

When I saw Amazon's Kindle, I was intrigued until I read about the restrictive DRM. Yes, Kindle-fans, I'm seriously turned off by their proprietary-ness. And, while it's nice Amazon is willing to store my books for me, how long before they decide to charge me for that storage? But what really killed Kindle as a choice for me was the wireless technology doesn't work in my state because Sprint doesn't come to Montana. One of their biggest selling points isn't as nation-wide as advertised .... *sigh*

So, I started exploring the alternatives. Right now, I'm looking at the Iliad (price is iffy, e-ink screen is "older" technology, but it has wi-fi) or the Cybook (better price, recent screen technology, no wireless). I'll probably wait to buy after the first of the year. I'm hoping the prices will come down a bit after the holidays. ... I might also get lucky and Iliad will upgrade its screens(!).

I've rattled on long enough. Hi, Ever'bodies!
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Welcome to the Forum.

Did you consider the Sony 505? I plan on getting one in the new year.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Welcome to MobileRead Kitty.

If you want current books, you are looking at buying them (with a few exceptions such as Baen or Steve Jordan Books) from a vendor that uses one DRM scheme or another. Sony has its own scheme as does Amazon. Even the CyBook Gen3 supports Mobipocket and its DRM scheme.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #4
Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Welcome to MobileRead Kitty.
Thankee, thankee!

Quote:
... vendor that uses one DRM scheme or another. Sony has its own scheme as does Amazon. Even the CyBook Gen3 supports Mobipocket and its DRM scheme.
Yeah, but at least most of the DRMs I've seen in the less expensive e-bookstores seem to be accepted by CyBook. (Feel free to disillusion me if I've misunderstood the format.)

Sony's proprietary format and smaller selection than Amazon knocked it running pretty early for me. Amazon's use of two different DRMs, in spite of their ownership of Mobi, makes them seem like they're trying to emulate Sony.

So, I'll just lurk, read the forums, and see what happens in January-ish.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:28 PM   #5
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
I'm hoping the prices will come down a bit after the holidays. ...
I don't think the price will come down after the holidays. Both the Kindle and the Cybook are completely sold out, and right now there's no point for these companies to change the price of their devices.

Price will come down if Amazon/Sony/iRex/Bookeen decides that they should be more aggressive on this market. It will also come down when new devices will be released, like flexible devices for example.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2007, 08:10 PM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Kitty, the CyBook is a great reader. HarryT even sold his Sony and bought one. (The net result is that there are now a lot more mobi format books in our download section from him.)

While CyBook is sold out, there is a group in the US importing them called NAEB that is just starting to take orders for their first shipment so the timing should be about equal between the two offerings. Plus NAEB is a US based group and one of their members is a regular poster here at MobileRead.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:54 PM   #7
Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien
I don't think the price will come down after the holidays. ...
Unfortunately, I agree. I might as well take the plunger sooner as later. *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
... NAEB that is just starting to take orders for their first shipment so the timing should be about equal between the two offerings. Plus NAEB is a US based group and one of their members is a regular poster here at MobileRead.
Thanks for the info! I found them through MR when I joined. I signed up and confirmed with Delphi## (can't remember his numbers) that I'm on the list. I can't wait!