Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
Unhappy Some buttons stop responding

Hi

In the last two days, my like-new prs 650 starts to have this strange problem. The zoom & options buttons stop responding when I press them while reading a book. Have anyone suffer the same problem? Is there any solution for it? Should I reset it & reinstall everything (dudh!)? I am currently use PRS+.

Please help!

Thanks
Anne
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Hi Anne,

Sorry to hear from your problems.

Just to be sure: goto Settings - PRS+Settings - Keybindings - Otherkeys and check if there are other values then "default"

If it's turns out to be a hardware problem:
A) contact Sony. If you are in the EU there is a 2 year consumer warranty as oposed to the guarantee which might be limited

B) you can temporary assign these key-actions to the volume-key.

HTH
Mark

PS: Please update your user-profile to show the 650 beside the 505 and the PB 360
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you very much. I have contacted sony support and have the whole walk-through with them and nothing seems to work. I guess the buttons are just dead.

What a pity! I love my reader and it's red. I guess the only option is to send it in for replacement/repair. I just bought it from sonytyle.com in May 2011 so hopefully the warranty still works.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosavj View Post
Thank you very much. I have contacted sony support and have the whole walk-through with them and nothing seems to work. I guess the buttons are just dead.

What a pity! I love my reader and it's red. I guess the only option is to send it in for replacement/repair. I just bought it from sonytyle.com in May 2011 so hopefully the warranty still works.
My 950 did the exact same thing a month or so ago, but it was the page turn buttons and home button that stopped working. Mine had a 1-year warranty, so I expect yours will as well. They'll send you a "reconditioned" unit for replacement, but mine looked brand new when it arrived and works better than my old one did (it was probably always a little broken), so I'm happy with it. If you still have your receipt there is a form on their website that you fill out to request repair/exchange, if you don't have a receipt you need to call them.

I used the phone number listed on this page.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
mimosavj
Addict

Thank you for your response. Thankfully I still have the receipt from sonystyle & I bought it in May. I have just sent it to the exchange center. Hopefully they will send me a replacement or repair this one soon. I don't know how I can survive in the next 2 weeks without my beloved reader
Advert
Old 11-27-2011, 01:50 AM   #6
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Thank you for your response. Thankfully I still have the receipt from sonystyle & I bought it in May. I have just sent it to the exchange center. Hopefully they will send me a replacement or repair this one soon. I don't know how I can survive in the next 2 weeks without my beloved reader
Hopefully they don't notice that you have some hacked/illegal(in their eyes)/non-Sony software on the reader and do nothing for you.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:04 AM   #7
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Yes, I was wondering about that !
I think, legally, you're not in a particularly good place.......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:42 AM   #8
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Same thing happened to my friend's 650. She sent it in for a replacement under the extended warranty she had purchased. This was a month or two ago--Sony didn't have any replacement 650's, so they ended up refunding her original purchase price of $229. It actually worked out well for her, because she was then able to buy two of the refurbished 350s (one for her and one for her husband) when Sony had them on sale for $70 a piece.

Hopefully, Sony will be able to replace your reader with a good working one!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #9
mimosavj
Addict

Thank you for the responses.

I guess I just have to take my chance since it's annoying not being able to use buttons like Zoom/Size which I use quite a bit with newly open books. Worse, since the zoom/size button is broken, I cannot do any kind of hard-reset at all. LOL, who came up with the design anyway? There must always be a back-up plan (that's what I learned from my CS/Engineering anyway)

I do hope they can replace or repair my unit. It took me a long time to find the only reader that I truly like, i.e. prs 650. I don't even want to think of getting another model elsewhere.

Btw, just curious, have any of you moved from the prs 650 to another touch reader and still be happy?

Thanks
Anne
Old 11-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #10
mimosavj
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Hopefully they don't notice that you have some hacked/illegal(in their eyes)/non-Sony software on the reader and do nothing for you.
I removed PRS+, reinstall the official Sony firmware, delete all the files. LOL, I was tempted to do a harddrive mumbojumbo reformat too but left it alone. Well, but then being a software engineer, with the right tool, I/they can see right away the previously loaded contents in the harddrive.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:48 PM   #11
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I removed PRS+, reinstall the official Sony firmware, delete all the files. LOL, I was tempted to do a harddrive mumbojumbo reformat too but left it alone. Well, but then being a software engineer, with the right tool, I/they can see right away the previously loaded contents in the harddrive.

When I sent in my 950 I used a couple of file shred utilities to secure-erase all data from it first, since my laptop could see the thing just fine. Better safe than sorry, and so on.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:01 PM   #12
mimosavj
Addict

I got my replacement today and surprisingly they sent me a RED too (I thought they might change to a black or something else). Everything works great. Bonus point for Sony!!!
Old 12-09-2011, 03:20 AM   #13
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Wonderful news Mimosavj!! I'm thrilled for you.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #14
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
I got my replacement today and surprisingly they sent me a RED too (I thought they might change to a black or something else). Everything works great. Bonus point for Sony!!!
Congratulations! Your RMA worked out as well as mine did, nice to see.