Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool using sigil to make changes befote conversion

hi, i usually restrict my participation to the calibre and kindle forums, but this question belongs here i believe.

there's a known problem with some epubs that when converted to mobi (using calibre) leave a fairly wide and unnecessay left margin. to fix this i just finished doing this (afterwards it converts w/o the expanded left margin).

i opened the epub in sigil and then opened all the pieces of the text portion. one by one i separately selected all the text in each of the pieces and then i pressed the decrease indent button at the top (again one by one) to get rid of the offending left margin.

is there any 'select all' function like the standard in windows (in the edit pull down)? further, is there any 'select all' for all the pieces at once? and lastly, is there a better way to accomplish this end result?

thanks
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Ctrl-A does not work?

Note add indent usually is done by Blockquotes
so if you don't have any ??? for remove.

Switch to Codeview and figure what class is controlling the indent (not the same as margin or Padding) of the section.
Then find that class in the stylesheet (see the page headers for which stylesheet if more than one).
Make your chang nd look at the page in bookview
Repeat as needed.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool i'm a reader, not a programmer. he's dead jim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Ctrl-A does not work?

Switch to Codeview and figure what class is controlling the indent (not the same as margin or Padding) of the section.
Then find that class in the stylesheet (see the page headers for which stylesheet if more than one).
Repeat as needed.
haven't wrote or modified a line of code since dos/interpreted basic was king of microcomputers. when i look at that code view i get a headache and suffer confusion.

thanks
Old 06-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
i opened the epub in sigil and then opened all the pieces of the text portion. one by one i separately selected all the text in each of the pieces and then i pressed the decrease indent button at the top (again one by one) to get rid of the offending left margin.

is there any 'select all' function like the standard in windows (in the edit pull down)? further, is there any 'select all' for all the pieces at once? and lastly, is there a better way to accomplish this end result?

thanks
There is actually a much easier way to do this. Look at the XML files and look at the class(es) used and then in the CSS make the left & right margins both 0. That will solve the problem very easily. I do it that way because on my 650 I prefer no margins.

Say the code read... <p class="para"> you would find .para in the CSS and change or add in... margin-left: 0 & margin-right: 0. That would fix the class para to have no margins and usually there's a class like <p class="noindent"> for the paragraphs that have no indents. Do the same fix. And for any other class that needs it.

But if there is a page template file, you'll need to delete it and in the OPF delete the reference to it as well as delete the call to it in all the CSS files.

In the CSS if there is a body style, make the left, right, top, & bottom margins all 0. And if there is an @page declaration, delete it.

And finally if the ePub is a Calibre made ePub, go into all the XML files and delete the @page style it puts in. Calibre puts in a top & bottom margin of 5pt and that is a bug.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And finally if the ePub is a Calibre made ePub, go into all the XML files and delete the @page style it puts in. Calibre puts in a top & bottom margin of 5pt and that is a bug.
That is set-able in Calibre Preferences: Common options: Page Set up.

I use 2,2,16,2 for my ADE based reader with those edge numbers
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
if is is a blockquotes issue you could also use find / replace all to change every instance of <blockquote to <p

calibre has an "remove fake margins" tick box in the conversion options which will take out unwanted left space. it is in preferences - conversion - common options.

it also has a ignore margins tick box in preferences - conversion - output options - mobi - which gets rid of kindle margins.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
haven't wrote or modified a line of code since dos/interpreted basic was king of microcomputers. when i look at that code view i get a headache and suffer confusion.

thanks
don't be intimidated by the word code. It is not programming. The so called code view shows the tagged nature of html used in epub and for your browser. All it means is that the text is contained in tags to help the reader understand the nature of the text, for example a paragraph has a <p> in front of it and a </p> at the end. This is not too had to learn and really important if you want to modify your epub files. Read about HTML and ePub in our wiki for details or find some tutorials. it is worth a little learning effort for the future.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool yikes, a deluge of useful info, thanks!!

Quote:
Ctrl-A does not work?

Repeat as needed.
Quote:
There is actually a much easier way to do this. Look at the XML files and look at the class(es) used and then in the CSS make the left & right margins both 0. That will solve the problem very easily. I do it that way because on my 650 I prefer no margins.

Say the code read... <p class="para"> you would find .para in the CSS and change or add in... margin-left: 0 & margin-right: 0. That would fix the class para to have no margins and usually there's a class like <p class="noindent"> for the paragraphs that have no indents. Do the same fix. And for any other class that needs it.

But if there is a page template file, you'll need to delete it and in the OPF delete the reference to it as well as delete the call to it in all the CSS files.

In the CSS if there is a body style, make the left, right, top, & bottom margins all 0. And if there is an @page declaration, delete it.

Quote:
That is set-able in Calibre Preferences: Common options: Page Set up.

I use 2,2,16,2 for my ADE based reader with those edge numbers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
if is is a blockquotes issue you could also use find / replace all to change every instance of <blockquote to <p

calibre has an "remove fake margins" tick box in the conversion options which will take out unwanted left space. it is in preferences - conversion - common options.

it also has a ignore margins tick box in preferences - conversion - output options - mobi - which gets rid of kindle margins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
don't be intimidated by the word code. It is not programming. The so called code view shows the tagged nature of html used in epub and for your browser. All it means is that the text is contained in tags to help the reader understand the nature of the text, for example a paragraph has a <p> in front of it and a </p> at the end. This is not too had to learn and really important if you want to modify your epub files. Read about HTML and ePub in our wiki for details or find some tutorials. it is worth a little learning effort for the future.

Dale
wow! thanks to you all! i've pasted this entire thread into an oo odt and will refer to it the next time i run into the need to use sigil to fix up an epub prior to calibre conversion to mobi.

thanks to all again!
Old 06-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool swahili or mandarin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dale
dale, thanks, i'm not intimated by the word 'code', but when i try and read it and get an immediate headache, i panic and quit looking. i've forced myself to look at it a bit longer and still my brain filters are saying, is that swahili or mandarin? i'll continue to fight it and i'll get by, i'm sure!

i simply never imagined that reinvigorating my reading would entail reading *CODE* again.

thanks
Old 06-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #10
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool that did it

wow! i went back to the original epub (a calibre generated epub) and exploded it in calibre (thanks for this idea to blossom in the kindle forum). then i edited (notepad++) both the css and toc files in about 5 minutes or less. in the css i changed all occurrences of margin-left that were not 0 to 0. in the toc i fixed some errors in the text (i'd not yet mentioned this problem here). now the generated mobi is fine on my kindle. hooray

thanks again to dale, cybmole, the ducks and jswolf.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:44 AM   #11
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
glad to have helped. some folks work your way, with notepad plus, others ( me included) use Sigil to open & edit the epub. Sigil has it's own helpful forum.

if you are fussy about having working kindle 5 way navigation controls in every book then you may end up learning enough of sigil to be able to fix up chapter headers, I learnt it for that reason, & for auto fixing mid-sentence line breaks.

you can also hook in a free spell checker ( microspell) but I abandoned that as it is awkward to use & because most books have lots of ( intentional) capitalised proper names - people & place names - which spell checker insists on flagging up.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:50 AM   #12
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Say the code read... <p class="para"> you would find .para in the CSS and change or add in... margin-left: 0 & margin-right: 0. That would fix the class para to have no margins and usually there's a class like <p class="noindent"> for the paragraphs that have no indents. Do the same fix. And for any other class that needs it...
I've seen some problem ePubs that have margins set in both paragraph "class" styles (e.g. those JSWolf mentions) and a global style for the <body> tag. Be sure to zero out any margin-left and margin-right listed under <body> also.

In addition, I've encountered files that in addition to margins set in the CSS file(s) have margins in a <style> section in the <head> section of the XHTML files as well. Check for those and set them to zero if present.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote