Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-17-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Eeek. Rim Playbook is ripped a new one

Blackberry's Tablet Blunder

Apr 15, 2011

FNC's Clayton Morris discusses why the RIM Playbook is not an iPad killer.

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/46466...list_id=161980
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
The poor thing is getting ripped to shreds.

Too bad. The hardware is superb. The interface is better than Android and iPad.
It's Flash is the best there is.
It's multitasking is almost as good as a regular computer.
In the ways mentioned, it's the best tablet out there.

But...
Major blunders might cause this to be dead on arrival.
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Sleeper hit?

http://on.wsj.com/hrs4OX
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I'm conflicted. I really would like to see the Playbook do well, as I've always been a bit of a fan of RIM. I was initially excited at how their tablet would work since I've had nothing but good experiences with their hardware. But, after reading how it isn't quite the product it's intended to be...I have kinda lost a little bit of hope in the tablet.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #5
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Now if it tetherd with Bluetooth to an Android phone, I might take a look, but as long as I need a Blackberry, it's a fail.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I'm conflicted. I really would like to see the Playbook do well, as I've always been a bit of a fan of RIM. I was initially excited at how their tablet would work since I've had nothing but good experiences with their hardware. But, after reading how it isn't quite the product it's intended to be...I have kinda lost a little bit of hope in the tablet.
My hope is that it will initially do poorly; have the price lowered drastically (can we say wayyy below $400); add the much-needed apps which have been omitted; give the option of using as a stand-alone, non-tethered device; and implement the Android market (I would love to see Android apps finally run on a tablet interface which does them justice).

This could turn out to be one of those rare products which has a bad start, but later develops new life. (Remember, ebook readers weren't selling well until Mother Oprah gave her stamp of approval and they soared overnight.)
Old 04-19-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pphilipp View Post
.. and implement the Android market (I would love to see Android apps finally run on a tablet interface which does them justice).

Not necessarily following that. What tablets are you referring to?

And/or what do you mean by that statement?
Old 04-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
RIM said that the e-mail app was coming "very,very soon" but I say... DAMN! Even my cellphone from 3 years ago has e-mail capabilities! How hard can it be to code that? Initially I was getting jealous due to the apparently cool office apps implementation but if we start to add things up... that's a crappy RIM job.

=P
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #9
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I hate to be a tin foil hat conspiracy theory guy but the mainstream media does really seem to have it's weight squarly in Apple's corner and seems like it's doing it's best to make sure apple products remain on top.

I don't know how anyone can use both Blackberry's UI and Android's Honeycomb UI and still think tha iOS is better. I don't get it all. You can only say " it's simple to use", for so long. But at some point if these tablets are going to be the future you are going to have to have a full functioning multi use UI . iOS is an app launcher and THAT IS IT.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #10
pphilipp
Addict

The vid's all over the net really make the Playbook's interface the one I had hoped iOS and Android to be. Those two brothers have been a wee disappointment in their handling. I have my fingers crossed for little bro Playbook.

Maybe in six months I'll shell out $350 and get one when it's overcome it's weak points.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #11
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I hate to be a tin foil hat conspiracy theory guy but the mainstream media does really seem to have it's weight squarly in Apple's corner and seems like it's doing it's best to make sure apple products remain on top.
...or...

Apples products are really, really good.

Quote:
Google Inc.’s Android might be the most popular smartphone platform, but if you add other mobile devices like tablets to the mix, Apple Inc.’s iOS beats Android in the U.S. by a wide margin — 59% to be exact.
Quote:
“The finding is incredible because it shows that Android being the most popular smartphone is not the whole story,” said Mark Donovan, the senior vice president of mobile at comScore. “Publishers, developers and advertisers are trying to understand how to reach audiences, and the study shows that users are using a range of devices.”
Quote:
Among smartphone owners in general, 33% have Android phones, 28.9% have BlackBerrys and 25.2% have iPhones, according to comScore’s latest numbers.
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/04/...ncing-android/
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #12
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
...or...

Old 04-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #13
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
...or...

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/04/...ncing-android/

that wasn't my point, they put out fine products but they shouldn't be protected from competition either. To purposely have a negative review in place before you are ready to test a product is what I was referring to.

Customer experiences aren't matching up with product reviewers take. And it does seem these same mainstream media reviewers from WSJ to Engadget tend to "overlook" Apple's shortcomings and funticonality but yet will nick pick to death of a competing product.

Let's just say it's getting harder and harder to find an "Truley" non biased objective websites out there.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
that wasn't my point, they put out fine products but they shouldn't be protected from competition either. To purposely have a negative review in place before you are ready to test a product is what I was referring to.

Customer experiences aren't matching up with product reviewers take. And it does seem these same mainstream media reviewers from WSJ to Engadget tend to "overlook" Apple's shortcomings and funticonality but yet will nick pick to death of a competing product.

Let's just say it's getting harder and harder to find an "Truley" non biased objective websites out there.
Nah it's always been that bad. When MS was waring against OS/2, MS played the media to really skew reviews. The media killed OS/2, not much has changed. It's smart marketing, something Google has not learned.

Apple plays the media well and does a lot also to get bad press removed. Do you recall the PC adds a few years back, what can you buy with $1000. Businessweek wrote an article which showed Apples execs demanded that MS stop those adds. MS claimed they would not stop running the adds, interesting enough at the time the article was written the ads quit playing.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 04-19-2011 at 07:12 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #15
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pphilipp View Post
The poor thing is getting ripped to shreds.

Too bad. The hardware is superb. The interface is better than Android and iPad.
It's Flash is the best there is.
It's multitasking is almost as good as a regular computer.
In the ways mentioned, it's the best tablet out there.

But...
Major blunders might cause this to be dead on arrival.
Well if you like the Playbook's UI so much you might also want to look into the HP TouchPad. Playbook stole heavily from WebOS UI. (BB exec so much as admitted in doing so).

http://www.precentral.net/touchpad-hands-on

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote