Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
solar
solar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi 3G
WiFi stopped working, books won't download

Hi all:

I went to buy a book today as I always do, through my Kindle, not my computer. The book didn't download right away, which was odd. Further investigation reveals my 3G is working (faintly; I'm in a rural area) but my WiFi for some reason won't work. Nothing's changed, I have other wireless devices in the house which work fine, the router is working. I've tried re-booting and re-setting to factory defaults, all my books went away. I've gone into settings, and tried to re-connect to my WiFi network, but this fails over and over again.

I tried downloading my books via connecting my Kindle to my computer, but even that's not working well. Everything went into archived items, and I'm having trouble getting them out and into the main library.

I've had this since about November 2010, no real problems to speak of, and no recent drops or hits or damage to the unit.

I've tried going through Amazon's Kindle support, which wasn't much help. I hold out hope that some gurus here can help.

Thanks,

Chris
solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
I've had similar issues with WiFi and my new router. Have you reset your router?

I think in my case the Kindle and router just don't like each other, so while all my other wifi devices work fine the Kindle sometimes doesn't. Rebooting one or both fixes the problem for me. Kindle and router have been playing nice for a while now.
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2011, 02:27 AM   #3
emmad
Enthusiast
emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle WiFi
I had similar issues and sideloaded the latest software update for the kindle. Once this was on my issue's resolved.
emmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:31 AM   #4
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by solar View Post
Hi all:

I've tried going through Amazon's Kindle support, which wasn't much help. I hold out hope that some gurus here can help.

Thanks,Chris
Did you phone Amazon? I have had better advice through phoning than by email. Good luck.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmad View Post
I had similar issues and sideloaded the latest software update for the kindle. Once this was on my issue's resolved.
Now that you mention it I haven't had any connectivity issues since I installed the most recent update either.
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2011, 11:17 AM   #6
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
I've been having problems with a new router that doesn't like my Kindle (and a couple of other devices). I can't track it to anything specific, but my hardware firewalls seems to be involved. It isn't supposed to firewall devices on my local network, but it does anyway. If I temporarily turn the firewall off and then turn it back on, that seems to be enough to get things working.

I actually think my case is more of a Windows problem (seems to have started with a security update last December), but the router firewall toggle seems to provide a "fix".
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
slieveen
slieveen began at the beginning.

Device: JuliusvonJD
If yours is an "N" type router, it may have been inadvertently reset to only "N" transmissions. You will need to reset it to "N + G" to ensure that your Kindle is receiving the signal.
slieveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:54 PM   #8
paulroberthill
paulroberthill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi + 3G
After reading this post I started reading the Kindle Developer's Corner and came across this link:

http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/kind...indle-terminal

On the page is the following text:

The kindle often complains that it cannot connect to a WiFi network, but what this really means is that it cannot connect to amazon.com, and this blocks the browser even if local connectivity is available.
To make the system believe that the network is reachable (and let the browser work), you can issue the following command:

dbus-send --system /default com.lab126.wifid.cmConnected

Might be worth looking into?
paulroberthill is offline   Reply With Quote