Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-16-2020, 04:58 AM   #1
Finessest
Finessest began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Spaces after each syllables, but displayed correclty. [EPUB to PDF]

I recently started converting EPUB to PDF with Calibre newest version (v5.7.2), and besides everything run smoothly at first glance, I realized after doing some annotation with Acrobat Reader, that the text isn't formatted correctly in the background. If you double left-click one word, it'll only select partially the word, not the whole. Also, if you copy the whole word and paste it into a text editor, the word will be split up with spaces.

Demo: https://imgur.com/a/cjHqnFy

On version 4.1 and 4.2 I couldn't reproduce the issue, even with the same conversation settings. I also tried 'Remove unnecessary hyphenation' on 5.7.2 but doesn't make a difference.

Please forgive me if the issue is already known. I tried to find similar posts under this forum, however, I found nothing.

I appreciate any suggestions for solutions from you guys.
Finessest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:44 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
In pdf there is no such thing as text, PDF files are just a series of glyphs from fonts that are individually positioned. PDF viewing applications use heuristics to convert these back to text. In newer version of calibre the engine use to render html to pdf (chromium) was updated and its font rendering stack was changed from sfntly to harfbuzz, which changes the positioning of glyphs, thereby likely breaking those heuristics.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
epub, pdf, spaces between letters, syllables