Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 06:51 PM   #61
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
Your opinion is not the issue, you should be apologizing for insisting that a forum member "go back to school" for wanting to look words up in a dictionary. The insult is what people found insulting, not your humongous vocabulary.
Deleted

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 10-25-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #62
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Nope, not going to happen; already apologised twice if my opinion insulted anybody and I'm not going to do so again just because you turned up late to the party and thought people might be interested in your platitudes.
See, there you go again.

You could have stopped at "Nope, not going to happen"

Bilbo, do you need a hug?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:01 PM   #63
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
See, there you go again.

You could have stopped at "Nope, not going to happen"

Yes I could have done

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Bilbo, do you need a hug?
Maybe I do
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:07 PM   #64
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Maybe I do
Okay, consider yourself hugged........now, please, try to remember a lot of our members are new to this board, and ebook readers in general.

I understand you don't want or care about a built in dictionary. Thats fine. I wasn't referring specifically to you in my first post.

Let those of us who do, make that choice without feeling 'dumb'.

We gotta set the tone.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:14 AM   #65
Siwickimom
Bookin' it!
Siwickimom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505- Sangria :) and Black Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy_dunlop View Post
Back in the day I pre-ordered a Playstation two months before it came out, upon release they told me the shipment had not yet arrived. It took a full month after release for the thing to arrive and I ended up being the last person on the block instead of the first to get it. Being a kid that month was the equivalent of 6 adult years.

Pre-ordering is a bit of a scam and of little benefit to consumers.
Smaller scale, but same thing happened to me with the last Harry Potter book. I had pre-ordered and Amazon didn't get that damn thing to my house until almost 8 pm that night! I could have just gone up to Walmart and bought one at midnight. All my friends were nearly finished with it before I even had touched mine, lol.

Point is, I got absolutely zero benefit from pre-ordering.
Siwickimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:54 AM   #66
brad72la
brad72la began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Wow, I didn't know that my simple post will generate such a response.

Hi Bilbo, I know you are entitle to your own opinion, but asking me to "heading back to school" just because I value the dictionary feature is a little bit rude.

FYI, I have 2 master degree in engineering (but not a English major) and English is my second language. I bought a Sony PRS-600 because I wanted to encourage myself to read more and help to improve my English. The dictionary feature on PRS-600 is very accessible and this itself make it different from Nook and Kindle (or Kindle DX).
brad72la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:18 AM   #67
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
For example, I came across the word 'irrefragable' in a Richard Dawkins book last week. Although I had never seen it before, it was pretty obvious from context that it must mean something like 'impossible to argue with' (and no, I still haven't looked it up).
I like my MacBook Pro. Right-click on the word, look up in dictionary:
Quote:
irrefragable |iˈrefrəgəbəl|
adjective
not able to be refuted or disproved; indisputable.
DERIVATIVES
irrefragably |-blē| |ɪ(r)ˈrɛfrəgəbli| |əˈrɛfrəgəbli| adverb
ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: from late Latin irrefragabilis, from in- ‘not’ + refragari ‘oppose.’
I'm so used to tapping words I like to look up that I have actually "clicked" words in a magazine or newspaper, with my finger

Last edited by mores; 10-23-2009 at 08:42 AM.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #68
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad72la View Post
The dictionary feature on PRS-600 is very accessible and this itself make it different from Nook and Kindle (or Kindle DX).
I know this turned into a looooooong thread dealing mostly with a single person's pointed and unnecessarily personal opinion regarding the type of person it takes to occasionally require a dictionary, so you probably missed it the several times it was mentioned, but:

THE NOOK DOES HAVE A DICTIONARY!!!!

Thank you,
Thankyouverramuch
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #69
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
I know this turned into a looooooong thread dealing mostly with a single person's pointed and unnecessarily personal opinion regarding the type of person it takes to occasionally require a dictionary, so you probably missed it the several times it was mentioned, but:

Thank you,
Thankyouverramuch
But it is NOT on the touch-screen part of the reader, you have to navigate to the word somehow and then do SOMETHING to highlight the word and then look it up. The beautiful part of the PRS600 is you just double-tap the word with a finger: Bingo dictionary lookup at the bottom!
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #70
brad72la
brad72la began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Having a dictionary feature doesn't mean that it is going to be useful. If it is not easily accessible, then, it almost like it is not there. For example, for Kindle DX, you will have to navigate to the word in order to use the dictionary. If you tried it before using Kindle DX and using PRS-600, you know what I mean. In the same context, even you have a book dictionary in your house, doesn't mean that it is helpful to you. Most of the time, you don't use it because it is too much hassle.

As an engineer, I know that feature accessibility (or user-friendliness) is an important criteria. If you design a product that has many features but hard to use, your product will not be popular.

For the record, I do know that Nook has a dictionary. Thanks eGeezer for pointing out that again.
brad72la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #71
dougbiss
Enthusiast
dougbiss doesn't litterdougbiss doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Hmmm... I was going to mention that I did pre-order the Nook and then canceled it the next morning after realizing that my Kindle was perfectly functional for my needs, and I was simply buying the Nook "cool" factor... but after reading most of this thread, it seems my comments would be totally off-topic.
dougbiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #72
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbiss View Post
Hmmm... I was going to mention that I did pre-order the Nook and then canceled it the next morning after realizing that my Kindle was perfectly functional for my needs, and I was simply buying the Nook "cool" factor... but after reading most of this thread, it seems my comments would be totally off-topic.
Yes, some threads do have a tendency to get highjacked.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:25 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post

Thank you,
Thankyouverramuch
But is it as easy to use as the Dictionary in the 600?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:25 PM   #74
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Don't think it's arrogant at all - if you saw somebody reading a p-book and constantly referring to a dictionary, what would you think?
But, you are referring to the limitations imposed by the old technology.

A decent pbook dictionary is a hefty pbook itself, impractical to lug around, requires extra space on your table, it takes time to flip the pages while you are searching for the definition...

The dictionary lookup on a modern electronic device is a quite different experience. The lookups are fast, there are no limits to the quality/coverage of the dictionary (OED, tomorrow?) and is packed into the already existing (reading) device.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #75
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

We've kind covered answering Bilbo's post, and I don't see any further use in dragging it up.

Lets move on and stick to the original topic, okay?