Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-22-2008, 08:43 AM   #61
yellow_feet
yellow_feet began at the beginning.

Device: Laptop
For all the Dutch speaking folks 'round here:

http://www.ebookreaders.nl/irex_digi...er_1000_review

A review which has appeared already (though indicating it was released at 15:00, my clock is still telling me that takes about 20 more minutes), naming a few more details about the device:

. 1280x1024 resolution
. Basic edition €499, Touchscreen (stylus!) Edition €599, Wifi&BT added €?.
. Touch-sensitive control-buttons
. Battery-life is rated at 24h instead of 60-70h
. Search functionality for PDF!

Seeing the fact that the review was probably not to be released 'till three o'clock, I'm guessing that's the time Irex itself will reveal the machine.

Edit: At the time of the latest edit, the official release has appeared.

Last edited by yellow_feet; 09-22-2008 at 08:55 AM.
yellow_feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:54 AM   #62
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
the machine is revealed
http://www.irextechnologies.com/irexdr1000

Must say that I'm not that impressed... the major selling point would be the "print to iliad" thing?
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:56 AM   #63
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_feet View Post
For all the Dutch speaking folks 'round here:

http://www.ebookreaders.nl/irex_digi...er_1000_review
Hey, I speak Dutch! Here's a slightly-mangled Google Translate version for the Dutch-impaired:
http://translate.google.com/translat...-8&sl=nl&tl=en

Very light on substance, this review.

One interesting bit from the (now open iRex site):
Quote:
The iRex Digital Reader 1000 series, will offer three products within the range, from the DR 1000 basic reader version, the DR 1000 S equipped with a stylus for writing which can serve as an unending notepad, to the DR 1000 SW with stylus, plus WIFI and Bluetooth connectivity.
The iRex webshop is down for maintenance, but it is already on ebookreaders.nl:
http://www.ebookreaders.nl/

Last edited by acidzebra; 09-22-2008 at 09:01 AM.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:58 AM   #64
yellow_feet
yellow_feet began at the beginning.

Device: Laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
the machine is revealed
http://www.irextechnologies.com/irexdr1000

Must say that I'm not that impressed... the major selling point would be the "print to iliad" thing?
...1280x1024?!
yellow_feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:07 AM   #65
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Interesting unfortunally tech specs not yet online.

What I am nosy at, is the differences to the iLiad and where they listened to customers and where they couldn't do the tech. Okay things I see:
* larger screen
* more battery life
* two handed control
* removal of useless buttons at the bottom
* far more options in price/features

Things I wonder about:
* How about this (IMHO stupid) traveler hub? Still there, or gone away?
* Hybernation? (I really think they wouldn't dare to sell a new device without)
* SD card compability? (and is CF still there, or did it die in favor of SD?)

Things that didn't work out:
* I guess its still WACOM, with the same old writing gap (and the redicolous pricing policy of WACOM. /me hates Wacom!)
* The same old writing toothpick that just hurts in your hands when used for more than just a few minutes pointing at stuff.
* The screen itself will likely not have better reflexion specs than the classic iliad.
* I know colors are very subjective, I just wonder why they didn't do it the other way around, that is the border white and the buttons black. Since its proven that black borders are more strenuousness to eyes than light colored ones, due to the contrast. That is why only light colored screens get CO99.

Last edited by axel77; 09-22-2008 at 09:09 AM.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:14 AM   #66
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Oh I see at the shop are some more specs, so to answer some:

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
* How about this (IMHO stupid) traveler hub? Still there, or gone away?
Seems to be gone. Yay. However the Rj45 connector seems to be gone too.

Quote:
SD card compability? (and is CF still there, or did it die in favor of SD?)
Edit: Yes. But CF gone... *shrug*

Edit 2: Oh one question, battery now user replaceable? Or still this apple if the battery is old (2 years on daily use) its time to buy a new device! (or send it in, which is expensive too).

Last edited by axel77; 09-22-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:21 AM   #67
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
- traveler Hub is gone.
- Network RJ45 is gone.
- charging via USB
- SDHC cards supported as far as i know.
- battery still not user replaceable.

One personal observation. The device seems quite a bit faster than the iLiad. And the new Software seems to be quite nice aswell. Had only time to play around for a few minutes unfortunately.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:21 AM   #68
ppxnouse
Connoisseur
ppxnouse began at the beginning.

Device: Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
No . Well they say "SD card up to 1 GB" This is likely the same old MMC compatible only slot... Seriously iRex what where you thinking? Almost every other eReader can take SD cards without size limitations. Whats so difficult in fixing this?
justread.de says
Quote:
1GB austauschbare SD Karte (kann gegen größere Karten ausgetauscht werden)
So 1GB is included but not MAX. It does not say anything about SDHC though. But it would be lame if it is still nonSDHC.
ppxnouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:23 AM   #69
ppxnouse
Connoisseur
ppxnouse began at the beginning.

Device: Gen3
tribble, can you post some photos for size comparison to the iRex and the Cybook if you find the time ?
ppxnouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:27 AM   #70
axel77
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppxnouse View Post
justread.de says

So 1GB is included but not MAX. It does not say anything about SDHC though. But it would be lame if it is still nonSDHC.
Ah okay, my fault in understanding this.

Yes SDHD card is fine. And CF gone I don't mind, SD is much better than CF.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:30 AM   #71
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppxnouse View Post
tribble, can you post some photos for size comparison to the iRex and the Cybook if you find the time ?
I wish i could, but i dont have the DR1000S here yet. But its quite a bit bigger than the iLiad, screenwise. Its thinner though. And it seemed quite a bit more responsive than the iLiad.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:36 AM   #72
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
Had only time to play around for a few minutes unfortunately.
Please please tribble you have to make video review. please.......

The design seems cleaner and I'm quite pleased...

OTOH if what they said about battery life turns out to be true....
iRex you had a chance to do it right... why screw again with power management.

Still, here's hoping that the numbers are for the S-model. (which, naturally, consumes more)

Now we have to wait for tribble.
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:45 AM   #73
Morffius
Enthusiast
Morffius began at the beginning.

Device: IPhone / Paper
I can't wait for a review of the new reader. I hope the screen is more conducive to note taking.

The MCIMX31 takes advantage of the ARM1136JF-S™
core running at up to 532 MHz

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/...H311432973ZrDR
Morffius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:46 AM   #74
tribble
iLiad Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKeeper View Post
Please please tribble you have to make video review. please.......
Now we have to wait for tribble.
Well, i wish i could. I dont have one yet. I have seen a working prototype a couple of weeks ago. When i have one, i will do it as soon as possible.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:47 AM   #75
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Any estimate as to when it will ship?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote