Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #31
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Which amounts to a $20 discount per iPad when purchased in bundles of 10.

Apple sure is generous
Apple hasn't actually had real big discounts for education in a long time, like a decade or two. I think our discounts on an imac is about $100 off the retail pricing. Ironically, they still have the reputation of doing big discounts for education, because everyone remembers that that's how mac got big the first time around. But I definitely still run into people that expect that apple products are going to be cheaper because we're at an educational institution.
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #32
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper28 View Post
Apple hasn't actually had real big discounts for education in a long time, like a decade or two. I think our discounts on an imac is about $100 off the retail pricing. Ironically, they still have the reputation of doing big discounts for education, because everyone remembers that that's how mac got big the first time around. But I definitely still run into people that expect that apple products are going to be cheaper because we're at an educational institution.
The people who were in school and used mostly Apple IIs and Macs are now the ones that make the purchasing decisions for a lot of institutions.

You still see a lot of Apple products in education and such, but mostly PCs in the business world.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #33
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
In these days of limited budgets, libraries need to think hamburger helper and forget the filet mignon.
Park Slope is not a hamburger helper neighborhood.

I have mixed feelings. The picture one gets is of upper class tiger moms and dads channeling their children into a rigorous straight pathway to Harvard, Yale and Princeton. This is not a parenting style my DW and I would have been comfortable with. But, well, that famous tiger mom did get the desired results. Intellectual parents who rigorously limit screen time often raise children who do extremely well in school.

Here's an earlier article with a little more on the class angle:

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2012...-young-readers

Quote:
Brooklyn Public Library Director and Chief Librarian Richard Reyes-Gavilan . . . said he's sympathetic to those gripes, because his own 6-year-old daughter "fantasizes" about iPads.

"But those complaints are coming from parents who themselves have a laptop and a desktop and a cell phone," Reyes-Gavilan said.

"We're serving all of Brooklyn's kids — most of whom don't have access to that kind of technology at home."
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:25 AM   #34
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Ever since the beginning of the company, Apple has always provided huge discounts for schools because they wanted to get potential customers very early. I can see them doing the same thing for libraries.
I think that plan was a failure. I used an Apple II in school. I did look at getting an Apple. "How much? Does that come with a yacht?" I got a Commodore 64. Years later, even with the discount offered at the college bookstore, a Mac was much more expensive than a Windows machine.

Maybe the library got the iPads for $2.50. If so, they ought to say so. Anyone spending the public's money ought to be concerned to be frugal and to demonstrate that frugality to the public. Government, given its history, has not earned the benefit of any doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
You still see a lot of Apple products in education and such, but mostly PCs in the business world.
Another reason, I think, why Apple wasn't a dominate force in home computing. One could get a Windows machine for much cheaper and get what one would likely be using at work.

Last edited by Fluribus; 03-30-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #35
Sregener
Addict
Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sregener ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
Another reason, I think, why Apple wasn't a dominate force in home computing. One could get a Windows machine for much cheaper and get what one would likely be using at work.
Yes, you can get a slow, underperforming Windows PC much cheaper than the cheapest new Mac. But when you compare similar hardware (quality screen, resolution, processor speed, case durability etc.) the price difference all but disappears.

Same for the iPad. You can get a cheap Android tablet, and discover that the case isn't aluminum, the glass scratches easily, or the speed is horrible. Or you can buy a comparable Android tablet in quality to the iPad and spend close to $400. Still less than an iPad at retail, but that difference may be made up with institutional bulk orders and educational discounts.
Sregener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #36
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sregener View Post
Yes, you can get a slow, underperforming Windows PC much cheaper than the cheapest new Mac. But when you compare similar hardware (quality screen, resolution, processor speed, case durability etc.) the price difference all but disappears.
Try comparing a Lenovo ThinkPad T430 to MacBook Pro's. You will find that you're getting more and paying less. Incidentally, Lenovo is one of the more expensive brands out there.

Quote:
Same for the iPad. You can get a cheap Android tablet, and discover that the case isn't aluminum, the glass scratches easily, or the speed is horrible. Or you can buy a comparable Android tablet in quality to the iPad and spend close to $400. Still less than an iPad at retail, but that difference may be made up with institutional bulk orders and educational discounts.
Apple uses aluminum and glass because it is cheap and gives the impression of quality (the, "it feels solid," mentality). The reality is that neither aluminum frames nor glass absorb shock very well. Many plastics are better at absorbing shock. I also love your comment about education discounts: you have already had two people tell you that Apple hasn't offered deep discounts in at least a decade. Here's an idea of what an institutional discount gets you from Apple these days:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/03...r-good-reason/

I also don't understand why you think that institutional bulk orders will push the cost of Apple products near (or below) the price of products from other vendors. Keep in mind that these vendors are capable of providing discounts too.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #37
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I don't have a beef. Was just pointing out that as time passes things change. Still plenty of old school paper books (at the library) where I live. They have just expanded to include other services as well. Things always change. At one time books were scrolls & there was no Dewey Decimal System to keep things sorted.
That wasn't really directed towards you, but rather the patrons who were complaining.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:31 PM   #38
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper28 View Post
All I can say is that two weeks ago, a co worker of mine bought a macbook pro and got a substantial discount by buying it with his wife's education discount. I'm pretty sure he wasn't lying about it.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:50 PM   #39
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
That wasn't really directed towards you, but rather the patrons who were complaining.
Ah ok. Sorry misread your post.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #40
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
Quote:
Link?
Here ya go.

This kind of thing is very common. Get the kids to use the product and they are more likely to buy (or receive as a gift) in the future.
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #41
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
Here ya go.

This kind of thing is very common. Get the kids to use the product and they are more likely to buy (or receive as a gift) in the future.
I'm seeing discounts in the 5% to 10% range. I wouldn't call that a substantial discount, as some posters are.