Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-03-2012, 06:20 AM   #1
GraciousMe
Zealot
GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question Style Sheet editor?

CSS is new to me, fun but confusing and time consuming.

Now somebody told me there are editors for CSS that can make life easier.

Any recommendations from you folks on a program that can help me write my CSS? We are not talking about very fancy CSS here...
GraciousMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Try jumping on over to http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

All you ever wanted to know about css and you can use "try it yourself" to see how it works.

You can also take a book whose formatting you admire and take a look at it in code view and copy its stylesheet in place of the existing one and alter your text to use anything special.

As always, work on a duplicate copy in case something goes wrong.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
GraciousMe
Zealot
GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, mrmikel.

I finally found a link for downloading 6 products from Altova for 30 days. I think this is too advanced for a beginner like me...

Any other suggestions for beginner-friendly CSS-editors?
Old 06-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousMe View Post
Any other suggestions for beginner-friendly CSS-editors?
Honestly, CSS as it applies to ePubs, is basic enough that using a dedicated CSS editor (where you're either going to have to repeatedly import the produced css file, after each change, into the existing Sigil epub, or you're going to have to manually extract the contents of the ePub to work on it) is going to be terribly counter-productive.

There's going to be no easy way to use a dedicated CSS editor in conjunction with a Sigil-built ePub.

A CSS tutorial (like the w3schools link mrmikel provided), and/or examining ePubs that are formatted in a way that you'd like to emulate, is going to do you much more good than any CSS editor will.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
GraciousMe
Zealot

Okay, DD. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
This morning I opened the html file for my Kindle e-book in Sigil and found that the drop-cap didn't work properly. I Googled the code and found a usable one that I adapted.

Then when I went to modify the CSS I found it at the top of the text file rather than in a separate style sheet. Luckily I hadn't yet broken the book into chapters, so I had only the one patch to make.

I suppose this is a very good reason to have an external style sheet? I should do that in the future, right?

Last edited by Oldpilot; 06-04-2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: adopt/adapt
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpilot View Post
This morning I opened the html file for my Kindle e-book in Sigil and found that the drop-cap didn't work properly. I Googled the code and found a usable one that I adapted.

Then when I went to modify the CSS I found it at the top of the text file rather than in a separate style sheet. Luckily I hadn't yet broken the book into chapters, so I had only the one patch to make.

I suppose this is a very good reason to have an external style sheet? I should do that in the future, right?
That is one of the best resons.
Use a style on many pages, fix/adjust in one place.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote