Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-31-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
No grip

My only problem with the Fire is that it has no grip for holding. The backing is too smooth, it can slip out of your hands pretty easily if your holding it with one hand. I really don't want to buy a cover for it.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I have that same complaint about almost every handheld device I've owned in the last several years. They have all had too slippery of a case making accidents more likely, especially since the cases are so thin now. Getting a grip (pun intended) is nearly impossible these days as far as handheld devices go! You would think manufacturers would get a clue and start adding non-slip surfaces in key places. In my case, the Kindle Fire was much too thin to hold comfortably even if it had a non-slip surface, so I got a thin cover with good gripping power. But I understand not wanting to add one too.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
famousboot
famousboot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
In my case, the Kindle Fire was much too thin to hold comfortably even if it had a non-slip surface, so I got a thin cover with good gripping power. But I understand not wanting to add one too.
I agree on getting a good case. My Marware case has a handle/strap you can slip your hand through. Without it, I don't know if I could deal with long reading sessions. The Fire isn't a brick. But it's just heavy enough that it's uncomfortable to grip for long periods of time.

My cover: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005KDYBIO/

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-31-2011 at 04:20 PM. Reason: trimmed url
famousboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
How about one of those silicone rubber sleeves? I have one on my smartphone; it increases grip and provides some cushioning in case of a fall.

As soon as I bought my Fire, however, I ran out and bought a case for it that would give me options for propping it up in both landscape and portrait modes. The heft of the Fire didn't give me much confidence that it would survive a fall on a hard surface with anything less than a full case.
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by grvthang View Post
How about one of those silicone rubber sleeves?
This had my attention at one time (see link), but I bought a cover instead (functions as a stand).

http://www.amazon.com/AMAZON-KINDLE-...5367325&sr=8-2

Last edited by SCION; 12-31-2011 at 04:54 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:46 PM   #6
tomereader
Zealot
tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ectaco JBL, Archos 5, 7, 70, Kindle DXG, Craig 7, Vizio Vtab
since the manufacturers seem to go for sleekness rather than functionality and you shouldn't have to buy something just to hold it, although a good case that might reduce/eliminate breakage if dropped might be worth the $, they do make holders for tablets and a few are adjustable that can fit almost any device I had that problem and found some holders posted it at:

Anyone else losing their grip? (tablet holders)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=159488

Last edited by tomereader; 12-31-2011 at 04:51 PM.
tomereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I don't have this problem but I did buy a Marware case. They are on sale right now. I bought the Eco-vue for $29.99 ($34.99) So if you gonna buy one now is the time.

Now my K4 slides out of my hand all the time. Luckily I only read on the sofa so it just slides into my lap but never have this problem with the Fire.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:19 PM   #8
emt
Nameless Being

Grippers

I found some rubber "grippers" in my local Walgreens that work perfectly. They are made for the bottoms of ladies shoes, some sort of black crinkly rubber, roughly egg-shaped, a few thousandths of an inch thick and they are self-adhering (peel off a paper backing). They're about 2" by 3" and are 2 pair for $2.99. They stick nicely to the back of the Fire and make it extremely easy to keep a good grip
Old 12-31-2011, 10:36 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
I found some rubber "grippers" in my local Walgreens that work perfectly. They are made for the bottoms of ladies shoes, some sort of black crinkly rubber, roughly egg-shaped, a few thousandths of an inch thick and they are self-adhering (peel off a paper backing). They're about 2" by 3" and are 2 pair for $2.99. They stick nicely to the back of the Fire and make it extremely easy to keep a good grip
Very creative.

LOL...A few days ago I was looking at a pair of my shoes frowning. Those "grippers" need to be replaced. Been on there too long. Thanks for reminding me to pick up a couple of packages.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:22 PM   #10
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomereader View Post
since the manufacturers seem to go for sleekness rather than functionality and you shouldn't have to buy something just to hold it, although a good case that might reduce/eliminate breakage if dropped might be worth the $, they do make holders for tablets and a few are adjustable that can fit almost any device I had that problem and found some holders posted it at:

Anyone else losing their grip? (tablet holders)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=159488
I ordered this the other day

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details
Old 12-31-2011, 11:24 PM   #11
hn333
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
Good idea, you could also use grip tape. But I would hate to stick stuff to it.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:11 AM   #12
hn333
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
This had my attention at one time (see link), but I bought a cover instead (functions as a stand).

http://www.amazon.com/AMAZON-KINDLE-...5367325&sr=8-2
I saw these last week, in one of the reviews someone said that the color rubs off onto the Kindle.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #13
PookaLady
Enthusiast
PookaLady began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo , Kindle 3,Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
I ordered one of those myself before the Fire was released.It works great.I also ordered an inexpensive case.

Last edited by PookaLady; 01-01-2012 at 01:10 PM. Reason: I wanted to add link to the case I ordered for the Fire.
PookaLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #14
hn333
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PookaLady View Post
I ordered one of those myself before the Fire was released.It works great.I also ordered an inexpensive case.
I bought the 45 dollar case for my mom's Fire. She loves it, but I just don't like how it feels. I'm glad you liked the stand, I should get my one sometime this week in the mail. Going to using it on the table next to my bed.