Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-06-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Kindle's Built-In Reading Light!

I stumbled upon a prototype manual for the Kindle which was filed with
the FCC in 2006 and saved by the good folk here at MobiRead.

Particularly interesting is the built--in reading light shown on pages
18-20 of the manual. I guess it didn't work properly in beta testing
or was too expensive or unreliable.

Hope you enjoy what "might have been"

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...4&d=1189621444

We can use this as a jumping off place to discuss reading lights for
the Kindle. I have a bought several including LED and incandescent clip-ons and over-the-ear LED's and finally settled on this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NP9HDI

the best LED reader I bought and used is this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FKHJ8Q

The clip-ons,including the MightyBrite one listed in the 'Kindle
accessories' just had too much glare.

A brighter light which can be
focused on the kindle from a distance of 2-3 feet seemed to have less
glare and work best for me. The 60 watt gooseneck above is my
favorite, but it is too bright to use in bed next to a sleeping spouse.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Before starting ANOTHER discussion on lights, please have a look at the following thread as it talks about a bunch of different lights and has photos even.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9362
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I wonder if the magnets on the light ended up causing some issues.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
vagelis
vagelis has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle1, kindle2 & kindle dx
From the manual you can see that the kindle has retained the little indentation on the back side where the 'kindle light' would attach to.

Perhaps they will release that as an 'accessory'...
All other devices come as an afterthought, this would be nicer.

Makes you wonder what really happened...
vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:26 AM   #5
asherlewis
asherlewis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
USB LED Light with Kindle2?

Hi All!

I've been looking for a light for my kindle, but like to read it without its cover. I don't like the idea of clipping on a light for fear of scratching it.

I was looking for a LED light with a suction cup base but never found one...but remembered all those LED gooseneck lights that work with a usb port.

IF i were to plug a USB LED with a USB B adapter into the bottom of my kindle , would the kindle power the light?

thanks!

asher.
asherlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:23 AM   #6
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by asherlewis View Post
Hi All!

I've been looking for a light for my kindle, but like to read it without its cover. I don't like the idea of clipping on a light for fear of scratching it.

I was looking for a LED light with a suction cup base but never found one...but remembered all those LED gooseneck lights that work with a usb port.

IF i were to plug a USB LED with a USB B adapter into the bottom of my kindle , would the kindle power the light?

thanks!

asher.
Umm.. No.
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by asherlewis View Post
Hi All!

thanks!

asher.
check out the Kindle Accessories section. you will find many discussions about lights there.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:51 AM   #8
jopearse
jopearse began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Kindle Reading Light Reviews

I have spent some time and thought after purchasing a Kindle about which light is the best deal and I have been reviewing them and concluded that the best one can be found at http://www.kindlereadinglight.co.uk - it is practical and affordable with a robust gooseneck. The clip on is padded as to not scratch your Kindle and the light is capable of lasting 100,000 hours. 1 user noted that the batteries have lasted well over a month with everyday use. Comes in 3 colours, white, silver and black.
Would love to know your thoughts.
Thanks
Jo
jopearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:57 AM   #9
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
says it's a invalid attachment :O
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:00 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What says that it's an invalid attachment?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:06 AM   #11
ricsmania
Connoisseur
ricsmania began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What says that it's an invalid attachment?
The link to the manual on the first post.
ricsmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:07 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Perhaps it was valid 3 years ago when the post was written?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:22 AM   #13
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps it was valid 3 years ago when the post was written?
perhaps
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why is this dead thread being resurrected with an off-topic post? I suggest it be closed since there's no way to post in here that would be on topic.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:17 PM   #15
amy77
amy77 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindlle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricsmania View Post
The link to the manual on the first post.
Do you know where I can get a new manual thanks.
amy77 is offline   Reply With Quote