Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-04-2010, 06:02 AM   #1
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
Decision time

I'll be in Sydney next week. Ever since I found out the blue 350 was sold in Oz and not the US, I planned to get one on the way home.

The 350 is 229 AU and with the exchange rate now being 1 to 1, I realized I could get a 650 for the same price at home. Since it won't be over 300 AU, I wouldn't qualify for the VAT refund.

I have a 350 and I love the size. Considering I haven't seen either one yet, it's gonna be a hard decision. **sigh** I really like the blue one! Is blue really worth $50 more??
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:27 AM   #2
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I must admit I haven't seen any blue 350's here. I've only seen silver 350's and black 650's on sale in Border's here in Newcastle.
Maybe the blue ones are reserved for Sony stores in the capital cities ?
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:51 AM   #3
retro
Groupie

Hedgeddown did a review a few weeks ago of the 350 and 650 he picked up at SonyStyle in Sydney. He had pictures of the blue 350. It almost looked black in the pictures. They also have them on Sonystyle AU, but they don't take foreign credit cards or I would have had one shipped to me in Alice Springs. I have a silver 300 and don't want a pink one. I do wonder why they are only selling the blue in Australia and mainland Europe. This will probably be my only chance to one.......
Old 11-04-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
ivantheipodder
ivantheipodder began at the beginning.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-350
Hello everyone, my first post here at MobileRead.

Just picked up my first e-Reader, the blue 350 at SONY Centre Melbourne CBD. Perfect with the blue cover. I chose it over the silver because the silver bezel reflects too much light and the blue one seems to give me a better contrast of the screen. If you are going to be reading on it every day, I'd say the extra $50 is worth it. You can pick up some other stuff there so the total would be greater than AUD300? But then who would do that, they are all so overpriced compared to the US.
ivantheipodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivantheipodder View Post
You can pick up some other stuff there so the total would be greater than AUD300? But then who would do that, they are all so overpriced compared to the US.
I'd check and see if Borders or Myer also stock the blue 350. Fair enough if you really just want to buy the 350 by itself, but in Borders or better yet, Myer (big upscale department store which has a lot of different things), you could possibly find items of interest to push you over the $300 total limit in the one transaction, thus qualifying you for the tourist refund scheme.

Of course, if only the SonyStyle stores have the blue 350s, then no go. Also, it's probably not worth all the effort of getting the refund unless you really do find other things that take your fancy.

Last edited by viviena; 11-04-2010 at 10:01 AM.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
ivantheipodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
I'd check and see if Borders or Myer also stock the blue 350. Fair enough if you really just want to buy the 350 by itself, but in Borders or better yet, Myer (big upscale department store which has a lot of different things), you could possibly find items of interest to push you over the $300 total limit in the one transaction, thus qualifying you for the tourist refund scheme.

Of course, if only the SonyStyle stores have the blue 350s, then no go. Also, it's probably not worth all the effort of getting the refund unless you really do find other things that take your fancy.
I actually went to both Borders and Myer, even DJ to see if they stock the blue 350. No luck. I went to the SONY Centre and they said the blue (or even the pink) is exclusive to the SONY Centres. I got home and checked www.sony.com.au and it did say both colours are exclusive only at the Centres.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:37 AM   #7
retro
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivantheipodder View Post
I actually went to both Borders and Myer, even DJ to see if they stock the blue 350. No luck. I went to the SONY Centre and they said the blue (or even the pink) is exclusive to the SONY Centres. I got home and checked www.sony.com.au and it did say both colours are exclusive only at the Centres.
That's good to know. I planned on going to the Sony store. I can always think of it as a souvenir of my time in Oz when I use it everyday. And it will be unique in the US. What's $50 anyway? I probaby won't have any doubt when I finally see one!
Old 11-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #8
ivantheipodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
That's good to know. I planned on going to the Sony store. I can always think of it as a souvenir of my time in Oz when I use it everyday. And it will be unique in the US. What's $50 anyway? I probaby won't have any doubt when I finally see one!
Exactly. You are gonna love it!
Old 11-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #9
linnygal
linnygal began at the beginning.

Device: none
I thought 5350 only came in pink and silver. Your post got me seaching for the blue 350. You are right, it looks really good Am sure you;ll enjoy using it =)
linnygal is offline   Reply With Quote