Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Single quotes to double quotes?

Does anybody know of a way that I can take an ebook and convert all of the single quotes in it to double quotes, while leaving the apostrophes alone, and converting what were previously double quotes to single? For example:

Jane said, 'Bob said, "I heard you" when we went to John's house'
Should be: "Bob said, 'I heard you' when we went to John's house"

I can't do a find replace in word because that messes up all of the apostrophes and whatnot. Thanks.
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
shall1028
Nameless Being

Somewhere on MobileRead is a recent answer to this. It involved using regular expressions to convert apostrophes between letters to another character then bulk converting the remaining apostrophes to double quotes then converting the other character back to apostrophes. There was, I believe another step to deal with possessive apostrophes that follow s (as in "the Jones' house")
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by shall1028 View Post
Somewhere on MobileRead is a recent answer to this. It involved using regular expressions to convert apostrophes between letters to another character then bulk converting the remaining apostrophes to double quotes then converting the other character back to apostrophes. There was, I believe another step to deal with possessive apostrophes that follow s (as in "the Jones' house")
Thanks! Any idea where I might find it? I have been looking around for a while (actually, before you mentioned this) and I can't seem to find the solution. I've got this copy of Alice in Wonderland from Gutenberg ... and it's all single quotes. Most of the Gutenberg stuff is.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
lunixer
Addict

Simplest solution that I have ever seen to this on another forum I frequent:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1589696
Old 10-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
I do a search for [space]" and change them to something like %% same for "[space]

Then search for [space]' and change to [space]" same for the other side '[space]

Then search and replace for %% to '
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
shall1028
Nameless Being

A search for "typographic quotes" yielded this thread.

Of interest in that thread is a link to GutenMarks.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:34 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunixer View Post
Thanks! Any idea where I might find it? I have been looking around for a while (actually, before you mentioned this) and I can't seem to find the solution. I've got this copy of Alice in Wonderland from Gutenberg ... and it's all single quotes. Most of the Gutenberg stuff is.
Get the books from these forums (here and here), and exchange[*] "’" and "”", and "‘" and "“", the apostrophes are left unchanged, because I coded them with "&# 8217;"[**]. If you find an error after this, please tell me and I'll correct it.

* You can use Sigil to edit the ePUB, and Calibre to convert it to other formats if you need it.

** This works for the books I create, because I take the trouble to manually replace every " and ' with the correct codes.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #8
lunixer
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Get the books from these forums (here and here), and exchange[*] "’" and "”", and "‘" and "“", the apostrophes are left unchanged, because I coded them with "&# 8217;"[**]. If you find an error after this, please tell me and I'll correct it.

* You can use Sigil to edit the ePUB, and Calibre to convert it to other formats if you need it.

** This works for the books I create, because I take the trouble to manually replace every " and ' with the correct codes.
Thank you so much! Karma at you!
Old 10-07-2010, 11:09 PM   #9
lunixer
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post

Chapter 2 didn't work in the first one. (The chapter that begins with "curiouser and curiouser")
Old 10-08-2010, 12:59 AM   #10
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I was thinking the same as some- I just do (space)" and "(space) and replace as needed. Has always worked for me for similar issues.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:04 AM   #11
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunixer View Post
Does anybody know of a way that I can take an ebook and convert all of the single quotes in it to double quotes, while leaving the apostrophes alone, and converting what were previously double quotes to single?
Can I ask, if I may, why you would bother? I have lots of print books from the UK and commonwealth which use single quotes where US books use double quotes. It makes so little difference to me that I had to go to the books to check whether they used single or double quotes.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:43 AM   #12
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Can I ask, if I may, why you would bother? I have lots of print books from the UK and commonwealth which use single quotes where US books use double quotes. It makes so little difference to me that I had to go to the books to check whether they used single or double quotes.

Regards, Alex
For example, If you are doing a commonwealth edition, maybe due to region restrictions, hence changing all the lack of vowels in words. removing all the silly "z"s in words then you would also need to change the quote marks.
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:06 AM   #13
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjust View Post
For example, If you are doing a commonwealth edition, maybe due to region restrictions, hence changing all the lack of vowels in words. removing all the silly "z"s in words then you would also need to change the quote marks.
I'm sorry, you still haven't convinced me. Again, I read lots of books and ebooks from both traditions, and after a few words rarely if ever even notice whether it's 'recognise' or "recognize". I still don't see the point of going to all the trouble.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:07 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I'm sorry, you still haven't convinced me. Again, I read lots of books and ebooks from both traditions, and after a few words rarely if ever even notice whether it's 'recognise' or "recognize". I still don't see the point of going to all the trouble.

Regards, Alex
I entirely agree.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:14 AM   #15
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
nothing wrong with the "z" ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote