Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-12-2021, 03:13 PM   #31
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Thank you!
I've got some progress. Not a win yet, but at least a few new errors xD

So I ditched all Qualcomm drivers and installed Zadig's WinUSB (v6.1.7600.16385), after fresh edl boot. Rebooted again to edl. "python edl.py --loader=QC_SDM636.bin --memory=eMMC rl dumps --skip=userdata --genxml" now outputs (I hid the sensitive device info):
Code:
python edl.py --loader=QC_SDM636.bin --memory=eMMC rl dumps --skip=userdata --genxml
Qualcomm Sahara / Firehose Client V3.52 (c) B.Kerler 2018-2021.
main - Using loader QC_SDM636.bin ...
main - Waiting for the device
main - Device detected :)
main - Mode detected: sahara
Device is in EDL mode .. continuing.
sahara -
------------------------
HWID:              ...
CPU detected:      "SDM636"
PK_HASH:           ...
Serial:            ...

sahara - Uploading loader QC_SDM636.bin ...
Successfully uploaded programmer :)
firehose - Nop succeeded.
firehose - Chip serial num: 0 (0x0)
firehose -
firehose_client - Target detected: SDM636
firehose - TargetName=MSM8996
firehose - MemoryName=eMMC
firehose - Version=1
firehose_client - Supported functions:
-----------------
configure,program,firmwarewrite,patch,setbootablestoragedrive,ufs,emmc,power,benchmark,read,getstorageinfo,getcrc16digest,getsha256digest,erase,peek,poke,nop,xml
Wrote partition xml as rawprogram0.xml
firehose_client - Dumping partition xbl with sector count 7168 as dumps\xbl.bin.
firehose -
Reading from physical partition 0, sector 131072, sectors 7168
Progress: |--------------------------------------------------| 0.0% CompleteTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\merge\Documents\!KonTiki2\1 Update\edl\edl.py", line 358, in <module>
    base.run()
  File "C:\Users\merge\Documents\!KonTiki2\1 Update\edl\edl.py", line 340, in run
    fh.handle_firehose(cmd, options)
  File "C:\Users\merge\Documents\!KonTiki2\1 Update\edl\edl\Library\firehose_client.py", line 308, in handle_firehose
    if self.firehose.cmd_read(lun, partition.sector, partition.sectors, filename):
  File "C:\Users\merge\Documents\!KonTiki2\1 Update\edl\edl\Library\firehose.py", line 610, in cmd_read
    show_progress("Read", total - bytestoread, total, display)
  File "C:\Users\merge\Documents\!KonTiki2\1 Update\edl\edl\Library\firehose.py", line 174, in show_progress
    throughput=(((datasize)/(tdiff)))
ZeroDivisionError: float division by zero
Looks like it has problems with calculating the partitions sizes.
Without "--memory=eMMC", LIB complained that GetStorageInfo function is not supported, but I can't reproduce it anymore O_o
I'll try edl.py with debug mode.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 04:06 PM   #32
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, so the problem is indeed with the size calculation.
Previous attempts generated and xml file all the partitions and their data. Start sector, file, label, etc.
Out of these, it dumped only the first one, "xbl.bin", and strangely the last two, named "gpt_main0.bin" and "gpt_backup0". All three with smaller size than shown in the xml, so they are dumped wrong.

I tried to dump only boot, recovery and system with "python edl.py --loader=QC_SDM636.bin --memory=eMMC r boot,recovery,system boot.img,recovery.img,system.img", but it stalls on the first one already:
Code:
python edl.py --loader=QC_SDM636.bin --memory=eMMC r boot,recovery,system boot.img,recovery.img,system.img
sahara -
------------------------
Serial:            0xadb323a2

firehose -
firehose - Version=1
-----------------
configure,program,firmwarewrite,patch,setbootablestoragedrive,ufs,emmc,power,benchmark,read,getstorageinfo,getcrc16digest,getsha256digest,erase,peek,poke,nop,xml
firehose -
Reading from physical partition 0, sector 262144, sectors 131072
Progress: |--------------------------------------------------| 0.0% CompleteTraceback (most recent call last):
  File "D:\edl\edl.py", line 358, in <module>
    base.run()
  File "D:\edl\edl.py", line 340, in run
  File "D:\edl\edl\Library\firehose_client.py", line 245, in handle_firehose
    if self.firehose.cmd_read(lun, rpartition.sector, rpartition.sectors, partfilename):
  File "D:\edl\edl\Library\firehose.py", line 610, in cmd_read
  File "D:\edl\edl\Library\firehose.py", line 174, in show_progress
I should probably submit an issue to GitHub.
Advert
Old 08-12-2021, 04:48 PM   #33
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I'm not sure that it supports arguments like that.
Use a single command to load the loader.
After that you can use any number of separate commands since the firehose protocol is not as stupid as sahara.
Code:
C:\>python edl.py --loader=sdm636.bin --memory=emmc
C:\>python edl.py r boot mypart08 --memory=emmc
C:\>python edl.py r recovery mypart09 --memory=emmc
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 05:54 PM   #34
mergen3107
Wizard

Thanks!
Those commands I used are given as examples from their GitHub page.

So I tried your suggested commands.
Loader part is fine:
Code:
C:\..\edl > python edl.py --loader=QC_SDM636.bin --memory=eMMC

sahara -
------------------------
Serial:            ...

firehose -
firehose - Version=1
-----------------
However edl.py struggles even when reading boot:
Spoiler:

Code:
C:\..\edl > python edl.py r boot 1boot.img
main - Trying with no loader given ...
main - Mode detected: firehose
firehose -
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: No --memory option set, we assume "eMMC" as default ..., if it fails, try using "--memory" with "UFS","NAND" or "spinor" instead !
firehose - Version=1
-----------------
firehose -
Reading from physical partition 0, sector 262144, sectors 131072
  File "C:\Users\merge\Documents\!KonTiki2\1 Update\edl\edl.py", line 358, in <module>
    base.run()
  File "C:\Users\merge\Documents\!KonTiki2\1 Update\edl\edl.py", line 340, in run
  File "C:\Users\merge\Documents\!KonTiki2\1 Update\edl\edl\Library\firehose_client.py", line 245, in handle_firehose
    if self.firehose.cmd_read(lun, rpartition.sector, rpartition.sectors, partfilename):
  File "C:\Users\merge\Documents\!KonTiki2\1 Update\edl\edl\Library\firehose.py", line 610, in cmd_read
  File "C:\Users\merge\Documents\!KonTiki2\1 Update\edl\edl\Library\firehose.py", line 174, in show_progress

Start sector and its size are fine, according to the xml:
Code:
<program SECTOR_SIZE_IN_BYTES="512" file_sector_offset="0" filename="boot.bin" label="boot" num_partition_sectors="131072" partofsingleimage="false" physical_partition_number="0" readbackverify="false" size_in_KB="65536.0" sparse="false" start_byte_hex="0x8000000" start_sector="262144"/>
I submitted an issue on GitHub. I suspect that edl.py calculates partition table somewhat wrong. Maybe it is related to the fact that Kon-Tiki 2 platform is a modified version of that of Nova 3, and modifications are not that sane after all
Old 08-12-2021, 07:14 PM   #35
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
I submitted an issue on GitHub.
Yes, I was using version 3.3
In version 3.52 they added verbose throughput statistics which broke everything.

In library\firehose.py, line #162 replace the whole function with this:
Code:
    def show_progress(self, prefix, pos, total, display=True):
        if display:
            prog = round(float(pos) / float(total) * float(100), 2)
            print_progress(prog, 100, prefix='Progress:', bar_length=50)
It will work. I can't be bothered to make it prettier with this "mplete" stuff.
Advert
Old 08-12-2021, 08:30 PM   #36
mergen3107
Wizard

@Renate
Wow! Thank you soooo much! I finally was able to dump all partitions except userdata
Thank you very much for helping me learn so much about all this boot stuff ^^)

Now I am super confident I will be able to restore things, if they get awfully broken xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Edit: Recovery has a ramdisk.
So could you please outline how should I safely unpack it and build again?
The tools I mentioned don't work properly on newly extracted boot and recovery images too. The create ramdisk and split_img directories, and only "-origsize" file with a number.

On the other hand, I see that "system.img" is basically "/", but its "/data" directory is empty, so there is no "/data/property" directory. Is it in the missing "userdata.img"? Or are some of these directories encrypted?

(I miss lsblk, which is not present in Android, AFAIK)
Old 08-12-2021, 09:43 PM   #37
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
So could you please outline how should I safely unpack it and build again?
Being obtuse, I use my own tools.
Look for imgutil.exe (in sig)

I've already seen the problem in recovery, it's prop.default, persist.sys.usb.config=none
But there seems to be a bigger problem getting a (unmodified) recovery image to boot over fastboot.
It seems to just default to booting the regular system image.
Code:
$ reboot bootloader
C:\>fastboot boot part09
I'm not sure what's going on. I can fb boot a modified system (w/o ramdisk), a magisk (w ramdisk).

Quote:
(I miss lsblk, which is not present in Android, AFAIK)
Have you tried zerostat (in sig)?
Code:
C:\>adb push zerostat /data/local/tmp
C:\>adb shell
$ cd /data/local/tmp
$ chmod 755 zerostat
$ su
# ./zerostat
Old 08-12-2021, 10:53 PM   #38
mergen3107
Wizard

Thank you, your imgutil.exe is great!
Tidy and quick extraction/overwriting.

Yes, I also couldn't "fastboot boot recovery_mod.bin". It just leapfrogged ahead to usual boot of and un-modded boot, where Magisk is not working Oo. Maybe some locks present?

vendor.bin , which I dumped among many other things today, contains /etc/fstab.qcom , which contains
Code:
/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/system     /                      ext4   ro,barrier=1,discard                             wait,verify
Do you think it will allow me to boot if I remove ",verify" and overwrite the vendor partition with edl?
Old 08-12-2021, 11:00 PM   #39
mergen3107
Wizard

"Have you tried zerostat (in sig)?"
Sorry, I can't find it in http://www.temblast.com/android.htm
><
Old 08-12-2021, 11:06 PM   #40
mergen3107
Wizard

The most straightforward approach I currently is stupid:
1) dump whole ~20 GB of /userdata (as it turns out to be /data mount point)
2) modify /data and /system to enable adb on boot
3) Flash everything back.

If we don't find something better, I shall probably try this
Old 08-13-2021, 06:07 AM   #41
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Sorry, I can't find it in http://www.temblast.com/android.htm
It's there, under "Android Tools", http://www.temblast.com/android.htm#androidtools

Modifying /system is not the way to go.
That might make future updates difficult.
For ADB we don't need to modify anything there.
Also, the magisk patching capabilities allow us to patch without modifying.
Old 08-13-2021, 04:19 PM   #42
mergen3107
Wizard

@Renate,
Ah, sorry! Somehow my ad blocker selectively blocked some of the lines Oo.
Thank you, zerostat works great!

Last edited by mergen3107; 08-13-2021 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-13-2021, 06:24 PM   #43
mergen3107
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Yes, disabling com.onyx disables 60 Megs of cruft.
It does disable "enhancements" and a ton of other stuff.
You are left with a more Android-like environment.
Thank you for this too!

The only reasons I kept com.onyx were enhancements, which can makes some apps really readable with better fonts and contrast, the ability to apply custom DPI scale, and screensavers.

For fonts and contrast, I was mostly concerned about GoldenDict dictionary, which I call from Reading apps. However, I found how to tweak it's CSS.
For DPI, there is a Developer option to change "Smallest width" in Drawing section, in dp units. So I set it to 600, and it is about the same scale as "400 DPI" in the Onyx enhancement.
As for contrast, most of the apps look washed with enhancements, but reading apps are optimized for e-ink. So it is bearable. Also, there is a global contrast option, which I occasionally need.

Screensavers were manually copied to /data/local/assets/ and given 777 permission. The images must be rotated 90deg CCW w.r.t up-right position (i.e. their top side is aligned with the screen's left edge) to properly draw on the lockscreen.

So I disabled onyx.com.

I don't use multi-window, so it's not a big deal.
Other things work as expected: swipe gestures, Navigation ball (really handy, to be honest), Music Player, Gallery, Clock.

Voice Recorder is disabled because it has Mic access even if the app is closed.
Old 08-16-2021, 12:40 AM   #44
mergen3107
Wizard

Oh, yes, finally!
I found a working method to run sshd server on the Onyx Boox. All other apps didn't connect properly, maybe there are too old for Android 10.
The solution is Magisk SSH Module.

After you install the module in the Magisk itself, the setup is typical for SSH: generate a pair of keys with PuTTy, put one on PC (*.ppk), one on the device (copied key from the window to authorized_keys /data/ssh/root/.ssh/authorized_keys).
Then connect with WinSCP, for example. The IP address can be found in the Wi-Fi settings.

I don't need to manually enable adb upon boot and connect the cable anymore, the SSH access can be root (or shell, if you need).
Old 08-16-2021, 05:25 AM   #45
Renate
Wizard

I don't know why you keep losing ADB.
Using SSH will allow you to see why.

Although, Onyx does a lot of goofy stuff with the USB configuration.