Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-22-2022, 08:40 AM   #106
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
My page turn animation is "full refresh".
That page animation would bother me.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 11:46 PM   #107
mbrisco
Connoisseur
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Alita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Not because of residue, but because the text quality degrades over time without full refresh. Most people seem not to notice it, but I do and it bothers me exceedingly. No, I don't mean ghosting. The darkness of the font lessens, the text grows paler. The change is slight, but I notice it immediately. Funny thing is, almost no one else seems to see this. But I've seen it on every eink reader I've ever owned.
Have you tried the PW5? I'm very particular about this stuff too but with the Kindle now it's no longer an issue.
mbrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:11 AM   #108
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Not because of residue, but because the text quality degrades over time without full refresh. Most people seem not to notice it, but I do and it bothers me exceedingly. No, I don't mean ghosting. The darkness of the font lessens, the text grows paler. The change is slight, but I notice it immediately. Funny thing is, almost no one else seems to see this. But I've seen it on every eink reader I've ever owned.
If this was a problem for me, I would set my Kobo to refresh every X pages or every chapter. I have mine set for 50 pages. I had to go into the config and change the value to 50. I figure if I find that the screen needs refreshing, I can double tap the screen to do it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:31 AM   #109
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2, Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrisco View Post
Have you tried the PW5? I'm very particular about this stuff too but with the Kindle now it's no longer an issue.
No. Buttons are a must-have for me.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:32 AM   #110
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2, Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If this was a problem for me, I would set my Kobo to refresh every X pages or every chapter. I have mine set for 50 pages. I had to go into the config and change the value to 50. I figure if I find that the screen needs refreshing, I can double tap the screen to do it.
Well, that's you. I want my readers to refresh every page.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:39 AM   #111
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Which reader and firmware is this?

When I double tap on my Forma, it advances 2 pages, or brings up the menu and then a the menu item I tapped on, ...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 02:39 PM   #112
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Which reader and firmware is this?

When I double tap on my Forma, it advances 2 pages, or brings up the menu and then a the menu item I tapped on, ...
While reading a book, you tap once in the middle of the screen to bring up the Back to, etc. items. then tap a second time in the middle of the screen which will dismiss the menus and refresh the screen. Personally, I don't use a tap to change pages preferring to set it to swipe only though using the middle of the screen to tap should work even with tap enabled.

That has worked on any of my Kobo devices for quite a while now.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 05:15 PM   #113
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
While reading a book, you tap once in the middle of the screen to bring up the Back to, etc. items. then tap a second time in the middle of the screen which will dismiss the menus and refresh the screen. Personally, I don't use a tap to change pages preferring to set it to swipe only though using the middle of the screen to tap should work even with tap enabled.

That has worked on any of my Kobo devices for quite a while now.
That explains it. While reading a book, you tap in the middle of the screen and you get a page forward. If you tap on fhe bottom of the screen, it brings up a menu and you have to tap somewhere else to dismiss it.

If depends on the "you".
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:13 AM   #114
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I also use full refresh every page since it was an option. I will try something like 10-page today.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote