Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-03-2019, 02:56 AM   #1
Onyx Boox
Connoisseur
Onyx Boox is on a distinguished road

Device: Boox Ereader
Onyx Boox Max3 (13.3”) is coming out!

The new generation of 13.3" Onyx Boox E-reader will be released in IFA event on 6th, Sept. Meanwhile, we would make a FB Live on 7th, Sept. to unveil this unprecedented latest product and you are warmly welcome to join the live. If anyone raise a question about Onyx Boox Max3 during the live, we will pick some to answer. The lucky guys will get a gift card worth $50 for any product on Booxshop. Limited quantity, first come first serve.

Below is a Geekbench score result for Max3. Let us know which item you want to know the most, and we will scratch off one item every day on FB group and here! Poll for Boox Max3 specification from here.

Last edited by Onyx Boox; 09-04-2019 at 12:12 AM.
Onyx Boox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:41 AM   #2
Onyx Boox
Connoisseur

Android 9.0 OS

The first ereader runs Android 9.0 in the world, Onyx Boox Max 3, will be released on Saturday. Would you want to learn more about the spec for Max 3? Poll to learn more about the Boox Max3 specification.

Advert
Old 09-03-2019, 07:43 AM   #3
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
It's a good news that the market is so good that a new device can find a place. But, what happen for the old devices like Max2, Max2 Pro for which the last update has again some troubles with NeoReader and the EPUB per example ?

What is your strategy for these devices and the other models ?

Definitively are they forgotten ?

The experience for the M90, M92 or M96 is not in favor of Onyx … I hope a different issue.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:01 AM   #4
azw409
Connoisseur
azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.azw409 is less competitive than you.

Device: Solar powered Kobo Touch running Android, Onyx M96C, Likebook Mars
It would be nice if Onyx (and Boyue) put more effort into software rather than hardware. Take a look at reMarkable for an example of how well that platform works and what a loyal following it has and yet it's hardware is very modest - single core, 512MB RAM - like an Onyx from 4 years ago.

Onyx, on the other hand just keep releasing new devices every 6 months with the same crap software = same crap experience just faster.

Why not focus on getting on keeping up with the latest Android releases and reducing eInk latency so Android apps can use the stylus effectively (nothing can now except the built-in apps). The platform could be great, with more focus on software. The hardware is already pretty amazing TBH.
azw409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:07 AM   #5
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
I just want to know if the device will have light and flushed screen or not.

the only thing I care to upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post

99% yes, as they always do. Launch a device, promise 10 things, deliver 3 over 2 years, then they launch the next product and stop answering anything related to previous devices.

it's the onyx cycle.

Last edited by whopper; 09-03-2019 at 09:11 AM.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2019, 10:39 AM   #6
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
I am looking for a device that handles my large library (I want to have 10-20k items), that I can use for notes and writing. I can't wait to see the specs on the new Max3! Sure they need to focus on software but isn't that the purpose of running Android? So they can piggy back on that ecosystem? I read that their software is better than Boyue and that seems to be their main competitor at this price range.
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:41 AM   #7
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
I was disappointed at the discounts on current gen products now that we know they are releasing new hardware. It is all cheaper here in China but the discounts I see are only 300-400 RMB which works out to ~$50. If I could get a Max2 Pro for 2500 I would order one right now.
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:35 PM   #8
newnu
newnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: waveshare
If the Max3 has Android 9, that will be phenomenal.
Android 6 is a pain point for sure.
Giving it a better CPU and Android 9 could literally make this the main computing device for a lot of people, especially if it has both HDMI input and some way (wireless?) of sending video to a TV.
newnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:02 PM   #9
newnu
newnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameternewnu can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Companies that don't forget and abandon their older products, Apple and Fuji come to mind, are the most endearing and gain a loyal following.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:21 PM   #10
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I assume it will be priced the same as the Max 2 at 700-800 ?

The biggest thing I'd be interested is whether the monitor capabilities have drastically improved or not.

I'm not exactly pleased reading about the lack of support of older devices though.
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:09 PM   #11
newnu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1 View Post
I'm not exactly pleased reading about the lack of support of older devices though.
I've worked at tech startups and I think this is common practice. It doesn't always mean the employees don't want to help everyone out, after all they have a passion for their products, new and old. Typically the money people or the management will put their foot down and prohibit continued work on legacy product because all the time of team members has to go into the new products. But luckily in the case of the Max series, they are not useless when the company forgets about them: they can always serve as a second monitor and will be useful until they finally break.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:46 PM   #12
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnu View Post
I've worked at tech startups and I think this is common practice. It doesn't always mean the employees don't want to help everyone out, after all they have a passion for their products, new and old. Typically the money people or the management will put their foot down and prohibit continued work on legacy product because all the time of team members has to go into the new products. But luckily in the case of the Max series, they are not useless when the company forgets about them: they can always serve as a second monitor and will be useful until they finally break.
I would primarily use it as a monitor. I have been wondering if they're worth it for that purpose. As in browsing the web for longer periods of time, researching, writing papers and all that good stuff. I've also been wondering whether waiting for the Max 3 would be worth it in that regard as opposed to purchasing the Max 2 for the same purpose at a much lower price.
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:30 PM   #13
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1 View Post
I would primarily use it as a monitor. I have been wondering if they're worth it for that purpose. As in browsing the web for longer periods of time, researching, writing papers and all that good stuff. I've also been wondering whether waiting for the Max 3 would be worth it in that regard as opposed to purchasing the Max 2 for the same purpose at a much lower price.
I've been using it for that, browsing pages with a lot of text, pocket, reading in general, and it works fine as long as you don't ask the device to perform as a tablet with fast interactions, scrolling, etc.

reading studies, reddit, long articles = ok use, not great but ok. And it won't be better no matter the device, because this is a eink screen limitation
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:09 AM   #14
Onyx Boox
Connoisseur

Dear user, in terms of what our development team said, we have plans to upgrade the old devices with Android 6 such as Max2 pro, Max2, Note pro, and Nova pro, etc. to Android 9. Please be patient.

Last edited by Onyx Boox; 09-04-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:24 AM   #15
Bob Willis
Enthusiast
Bob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle, IPAD Pro, Boox Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx Boox View Post
Dear user, in terms of what our development team said, we have plans to upgrade the old devices with Android 6 such as Max2 pro, Max2, Note pro, and Nova pro, etc. to Android 9. Please be patient.
It is a great news for old users who already owned a Boox device.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote