Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-04-2021, 03:18 PM   #1
jgbout
Groupie
jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Onyx Book Note/nova --vs-- Likebook Alita/ares?

Newly discovered e-Ink is now a Tablet that can do MS Word with a BT Keyboard !

Game-changer for me.

But, I'm so out of the loop and there are a serious number of what seems like tried and trusted brands/makes - I could really use some help.

I'm looking between the
Onyx Boox NOTE 3 for 10.3" or Nova 3 for 8"
or
Likebook ALITA for 10.3" or Ares for 8"

What I'm looking for:

A Dedicated Writer/Typer using a BT Keyboard and MS Word / gDocs for writing novels, scripts and game-related content.

I know Onyx has perhaps a truer Android Experience/Reliability? while Likebook has SD card slots. Both have Mobius 10.3" paperlike screens, and 8" carta screens.

I know Boox has been tried and used with BT Keyboard on Word and gDocs, and when Speed or X mode used, it seems great. I have NOT seen any Likebook models used in the same way? though I'm assuming they can.

Likebook also has a better price for similar hardware to Boox -- not sure of the software though, as Likebook is advertised at Android 6 and supposedly upgrading to 8? (not a big deal, if the firmware, like Boox at Android 9/10 , can do what I need.)

I'm not sure between 8 and 10.3" yet.
Secondary purpose would be as an e-Ink reader, mostly in bed -- so yes, 8" would be less awkward, but at the weight, 10 might not be bad.

HAS ANYONE USED LIKEBOOK WITH BT KEYBOARD ON MS WORD or gDOCS ?

Can anyone compare these in the real world?

IS there more RISK with one company over the other? More known issues? More defective units? etc...?

Thanks for any help

Last edited by jgbout; 03-04-2021 at 03:21 PM.
jgbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:12 PM   #2
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
In my experience, and the impression I've gotten from reading here, Onyx hardware is more reliable. Also in my experience, and from what I've read, Onyx is better at running a wider number of apps as well. But my personal experience with Boyue is old.

There are other pros and cons both ways.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2021, 09:20 PM   #3
jgbout
Groupie
jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Thanks.
Yeah, I know that Onyx has a longer mostly solid reputation.
My understanding is Likebook has come a LONG way since 2019.
But I am seeing recent issues with reading large SD cards, file transfers, and most worrisome, garbled pages displayed on screen.

SD card slot and lower price are very attractive in the Likebook, and I think they are lighter too, but... lot of money to get burned if there are still known issues.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:35 AM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbout View Post
But I am seeing recent issues with reading large SD cards, file transfers, and most worrisome, garbled pages displayed on screen.
There have been problems with exFat formatting - this has been fixed.
There were no problems with NTFS and the "garbled pages" occur when the origin is "garbled".
Too large cards: I use 512 GB Samsung Evo Pro SD cards with files up to 40 GB in size without any problem.
However, apart from the Notes options, I only use external Android programs.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:14 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I use a BT keyboard with Jota on a Likebook Mars.

I got that keyboard for my 10" lenovo tablet and it was the first in 15 years that was usable.

I think MS Word or GDocs in Cloud are to be used ONLY for temporary collaboration. Crazy idea for regular writing.

I use LO Writer on Linux for serious writing. Changed to LO from MS Office in 2014 and changed to Linux entirely from 2016.
I'd been using Windows and MS Word since about 1994. Before that Wordstar or clone on CP/M and MSDOS.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2021, 10:44 AM   #6
jgbout
Groupie

@ottischwenk - how come only external android apps? is the Likebook firmware that bad ? Should I only be looking at Boox ?

@Quoth - I don't mind app or cloud versions of Word, or on/offline gDocs, as my writing only requires basic formatting. I'm fortunate that way. But I'll look into this Lo Writer ? I'm hesitant to use Linux, because (1) I don't know anything about it, and (2) using a command line for everything really doesn't appeal.

Besides, how do you use Linux programs on an e-tablet?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2021, 11:34 AM   #7
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
@ottischwenk - how come only external android apps? is the Likebook firmware that bad ? Should I only be looking at Boox ?

@Quoth - I don't mind app or cloud versions of Word, or on/offline gDocs, as my writing only requires basic formatting. I'm fortunate that way. But I'll look into this Lo Writer ? I'm hesitant to use Linux, because (1) I don't know anything about it, and (2) using a command line for everything really doesn't appeal.

Besides, how do you use Linux programs on an e-tablet?

Thanks
Keep using what works is my advice. LibreOffice Writer is available for Windows, too, if that's what you're using. It happens to be my main program for writing, as I'm using Linux, too, but I don't think that there's much to gain by switching to it if you don't use any advanced functions.

Linux is great, but if your setup ain't broke, don't fix it.

As for writing on the Boox that's an interesting question. I have a Nova 3 (a tad too small), and would love to use it for writing, but don't have the extra funds to invest in a bluetooth keyboard at the moment, so I can't comment on it.

There are some videos on youtube with people doing just that. Have you tried searching for similar stuff for the Likebooks?
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 11:42 AM   #8
jgbout
Groupie

@Kandwo - Hi, yes, I've checked for vids of Likebook with keyboards... nothing, only Boox with keyboards.

That's one of the reasons I'm hesitant.

I have a PC desktop setup with Word and gDocs, and I just got a touchscreen Chromebook to move away from the PC. I really want things compact, less distraction.

I did not know e-ink was available as a tablet that you can use a keyboard and Word/gDocs.

So, I'm trying to find out how effective they are. It would essentially replace my writing setup. I'd still use the chromebook for all my "pc/computer" oriented needs.

I love the "idea" of an e-ink typing surface that, if I want, I can pick up and read at night with it too -- all without the LCD in my face, heat under my hands, or bulk. (chromebook is good for eliminating heat while typing, and it's fanless - I cant do computer noise.)

I'm pretty convinced Boox Note can do it, and is pretty bug-free out of the box, but not so sure on Likebook Alita. No one has any videos or much to say about it. And there's little battles about whether there are bugs in Alita firmware, and whether the included software is worth using.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:07 PM   #9
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm pretty convinced Boox Note can do it, and is pretty bug-free out of the box, but not so sure on Likebook Alita.
The main area of application of Boox or Likebook is the display of texts and the creation of handwritten notes (also in pdf, epub, etc.) - this is included in the scope of the software.
Both brands do not provide the software (writing texts) required for your purposes - you have to install it (from the Google Play Store).
Both brands work with Android: Boox (3, Air) with Android 10, Likebook with Android 8.1.
Bluetooth (keyboards, etc.) works equally well with both devices - there is no difference in this regard.
Boox devices have the somewhat more powerful processors and have more drawing options, Likebook devices are far superior in the file system area.

To be clear again: Entering texts with a Bluetooth keyboard works equally well for both brands.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:21 PM   #10
jgbout
Groupie

Thank you sir - I appreciate the clarity.., my head has been spinning with reviews, numbers, etc...

I knew I'd need to install writing software. Most of it is in the browser that I use, which may or may not prove a little more problematic.

My scriptwriting software is in-browser (I think there is an app version), but I don't think the MS Office Apps for Android allow you to work on a 10" device for free (requires a paid 365 service which is a big turn off for me). And having to go online on the office site to use would probably be taxing for the system. I have to look into that more.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:32 PM   #11
ottischwenk
Wizard

You should also think about how you want to use the device - the Boox Note 3 and Likebook Alita are more oriented towards portrait orientation, while Boox Note Air is more towards landscape orientation.
And so is my area of work.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:46 PM   #12
jgbout
Groupie

I would want to mostly use it in Portrait.
I've mostly ruled out the Air, simply because I would want the Mobius (matte) screen, and the bigger ram/storage options.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:11 PM   #13
ottischwenk
Wizard

The Note Air's screen is also matte - it is brighter and more contrasty than Mobius, and the lighting is more even.
Also, because it is made of Asahi glass, it cannot be scratched.

And believe me, if you can't cope with 32 GB, you will also have problems with 64 GB.
In this case you need Likebook.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 03-05-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:07 PM   #14
jgbout
Groupie

Actually, just discovered the Likebook Alita is only 32gb too..., but has the sd card
I thought the Mobius was the screen to get as it was pliable and wouldn't break - and it felt more like writing on paper --- although to be honest that only interests me more "because it can feel that way" more than it matters to me.

Air feels to restricted with the 32gb and no sd card.
So still Alita vs Note 3, hahaa
Old 03-07-2021, 03:13 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I thought the Mobius was the screen to get as it was pliable and wouldn't break - and it felt more like writing on paper --- although to be honest that only interests me more "because it can feel that way" more than it matters to me.
It's the substrate (back layer) of the Mobius screen that is plastic compared to the thin glass substrate used in other eInk displays. It does not crack as the glass substrate will and it is lighter.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote