Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Whatís your Covid vaccination status?
Iíve had both shots. 3 3.45%
Iíve had my first shot. 15 17.24%
My first shot is scheduled, but I havenít got it yet. 2 2.30%
Iím qualified in my state or region and want it, but havenít been able to schedule it. 10 11.49%
Iím not qualified yet in my state or region. 45 51.72%
Qualified or not, my immune system is compromised and I wonít get one. 0 0%
Iím opposed to the vaccine on principle and wonít get one. 2 2.30%
Iím waiting to see how it goes. 6 6.90%
Thereís no vaccine available in my region. 3 3.45%
Prefer not to answer. 1 1.15%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2021, 06:56 PM   #151
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm in the unusual position of having chosen to shelter in place with my 84 year old father. I worried for months and months that I was going to drag something back to him. Working from home... curbside pickup for groceries... online ordering for everything else--the works. Now that he's two weeks past his second Moderna shot, he's itching to start "getting back out there".

I can't blame him (he's got two daughters that are vaccinated and a great-grandson he's only seen in the flesh a couple of times from a distance), but I have to gently remind him that the roles have reversed now. I'd like him to return the favor of doing everything in his power not to drag something back to me. Especially since the official answer to "Can someone who's been vaccinated still transmit the virus?" is still "we don't know".
Thereís an article in the Guardian this evening, saying that 40% of the over-80s whoíve been vaccinated have broken the Covid rules since.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:43 PM   #152
poohbear_nc
What Next?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
I'm in the unusual position of having chosen to shelter in place with my 84 year old father. I worried for months and months that I was going to drag something back to him. Working from home... curbside pickup for groceries... online ordering for everything else--the works. Now that he's two weeks past his second Moderna shot, he's itching to start "getting back out there".

I can't blame him (he's got two daughters that are vaccinated and a great-grandson he's only seen in the flesh a couple of times from a distance), but I have to gently remind him that the roles have reversed now. I'd like him to return the favor of doing everything in his power not to drag something back to me. Especially since the official answer to "Can someone who's been vaccinated still transmit the virus?" is still "we don't know".
My late partner and I were in a similar situation - one vaccinated and one not - we agreed on a mutual veto policy - each of us could veto the other's suggested activity - with no arguments or repercussions.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 07:56 PM   #153
ownedbycats
Wizard
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Especially since the official answer to "Can someone who's been vaccinated still transmit the virus?" is still "we don't know".
This is what i am afraid of in my region—once they get all the older people vaccinated that they will start dropping the restrictions because "ECONOMY IS MORE IMPORTANT", even though younger high-risks still have no protection!

I am tired of being the one everyone is willing to sacrifice.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-04-2021 at 07:58 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM   #154
Almamida
Evangelist
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O - Kindle PW4/ Voyage / Oasis 3 - Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
There’s an article in the Guardian this evening, saying that 40% of the over-80s who’ve been vaccinated have broken the Covid rules since.
I definitely don't look forward for the boomer generation in my family to get their vaccine, I expect these numbers to go even higher.
(in fact I look forward but I'm bitter by their behaviour, blaming the younger generations while they can't cope with the basic safety rules, social distancing or even lockdowns... )
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
My late partner and I were in a similar situation - one vaccinated and one not - we agreed on a mutual veto policy - each of us could veto the other's suggested activity - with no arguments or repercussions.
We've decided to play it the same way with my partner. He's older and more at risk, but at the end I'm the one vetoing for anything I find unsafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
This is what i am afraid of in my region—once they get all the older people vaccinated that they will start dropping the restrictions because "ECONOMY IS MORE IMPORTANT", even though younger high-risks still have no protection!

I live in the same situation via my partner. If it makes you feel better, I tried to think the other way. If we were to get vaccinated before and they would be reopening the economy, I would still self isolate until 70% of the population around is vaccinated.

Last edited by Almamida; Yesterday at 10:23 AM. Reason: grammar
Almamida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM   #155
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone XR, iPad mini 5, iPad Pro 9.7, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
I definitely don't look forward for the boomer generation in my family to get their vaccine, I expect these numbers to go even higher.
(in fact I look forward but I'm bitter by their behaviour, blaming the younger generations while they can't cope with the basic safety rules, social distancing or even lockdowns... )
Well sounds like you have some "blame game" going on too.

I'm a boomer, as are my siblings and cousins. What Iíve seen among my generation in my family and among my friends is a fairly strong sense of staying safe, wearing masks, staying out of public places, and social distancing. Iíve seen way more unsafe social behavior among the younger crowds, but over all I would say every generation seems to have way too many who are being very unsafe in a social manner. I don't see this as a generational blame game moment. I see it as a problem of ignorance and lack of understanding of just how dangerous this pandemic is. Way too many are falling in line with political beliefs rather than engaging their brains to decide what is the best course of action for themselves, their families, their friends, and society in general.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM   #156
Almamida
Evangelist
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Well sounds like you have some "blame game" going on too.

I'm a boomer, as are my siblings and cousins. What Iíve seen among my generation in my family and among my friends is a fairly strong sense of staying safe, wearing masks, staying out of public places, and social distancing. Iíve seen way more unsafe social behavior among the younger crowds, but over all I would say every generation seems to have way too many who are being very unsafe in a social manner. I don't see this as a generational blame game moment. I see it as a problem of ignorance and lack of understanding of just how dangerous this pandemic is. Way too many are falling in line with political beliefs rather than engaging their brains to decide what is the best course of action for themselves, their families, their friends, and society in general.
This was targeting my family. Not talking of anybody else. We can't really tell, we're really isolating from the world.
But seeing my parents visiting my siblings, insisting on having their grand-children... I'm just glad I'm living far enough, so they can't try to convince /guilt trip me to visit.
Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM   #157
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Just got my first shot! I am tired and a little achy, but I scheduled it on a Friday just so I would have the weekend to recover if need be.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM   #158
Almamida
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
This is what i am afraid of in my regionóonce they get all the older people vaccinated that they will start dropping the restrictions because "ECONOMY IS MORE IMPORTANT", even though younger high-risks still have no protection!

Been thinking of you.

Ontario finally produced a document, mentioning people at risk, with their definition and when they fall in the rollout schedule.
My partner is now recognized at the top of the list of at-risk people and can hope to get vaccinated starting next month at the earliest.
As a primary caregiver I can hope to get mine at the same time as non medical frontline workers, at the end of the phase 2 (probably around June)

Maybe it will influence other provinces to do the same.
Old Today, 12:12 AM   #159
haertig
Guru
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I've noticed that a while back, some younger folks refused to wear masks to protect the older folks. Now that the older folks have been vaccinated, the younger folks are wanting the older folks to wear masks to protect them (the younger folks). This may not be true for all younger folks, but it is for at least some of them. I still wear a mask even though I've been fully vaccinated, trying to help keep everyone else safe. But that will not continue forever. I do not believe that the vaccinated have now turned into hordes of Typhoid Marys.

Then you have the real idiots, like one of my relatives that I won't name, who say they don't trust the vaccine and don't want to get it. But think that other people - vaccinated people - need to continue wearing masks to protect people like her, who refuse the vaccine.

Yeah, right. I don't think things are going to play out exactly like she hopes.

There's coming a time, sooner rather than later, where people are going to tell Triple-Mask-Fauci and the Lockdown-Governors exactly where to stick it. Once everyone has been offered the vaccine (regardless if they choose to take it or not), the masks will come off and everything will reopen. None of this crap like we're currently hearing: "We will be wearing masks well into 2022" or "Things will never get back to normal". The biggest problem with this pandemic has not been the virus (even though the virus is bad enough), it has been the governments response to it.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:41 AM   #160
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone XR, iPad mini 5, iPad Pro 9.7, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
...The biggest problem with this pandemic has not been the virus (even though the virus is bad enough), it has been the governments response to it.
I would say the biggest problem has been the politicians's response to the pandemic. Many powerful politicians played down the severity of the threat for months and months. In my state, our Lt. Governor said he was willing to sacrifice old people to the pandemic to achieve herd immunity. Our Governor repeatedly tried to counter mask wearing and gathering regulations put in place by counties and cities, and has now announced the end of the mask mandate and is reopening businesses 100%. The bureaucrats are doing the best they can in a highly divided country, but the great dividers, the politicians, are mucking up the works!

There will always be anti-vaxxers and assorted idiots and some folks who mean well but just canít manage to grip reality. The politicians should have been helping to convince those people to social distance, wear masks, and get vaccinated. Many politicians did their best, but many tried to interfere every chance they got.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:41 AM   #161
Almamida
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I've noticed that a while back, some younger folks refused to wear masks to protect the older folks. Now that the older folks have been vaccinated, the younger folks are wanting the older folks to wear masks to protect them (the younger folks). This may not be true for all younger folks, but it is for at least some of them. I still wear a mask even though I've been fully vaccinated, trying to help keep everyone else safe. But that will not continue forever. I do not believe that the vaccinated have now turned into hordes of Typhoid Marys.

Then you have the real idiots, like one of my relatives that I won't name, who say they don't trust the vaccine and don't want to get it. But think that other people - vaccinated people - need to continue wearing masks to protect people like her, who refuse the vaccine.

Yeah, right. I don't think things are going to play out exactly like she hopes.

There's coming a time, sooner rather than later, where people are going to tell Triple-Mask-Fauci and the Lockdown-Governors exactly where to stick it. Once everyone has been offered the vaccine (regardless if they choose to take it or not), the masks will come off and everything will reopen. None of this crap like we're currently hearing: "We will be wearing masks well into 2022" or "Things will never get back to normal". The biggest problem with this pandemic has not been the virus (even though the virus is bad enough), it has been the governments response to it.
I think you have more in common with your relative than you think.

Last edited by Almamida; Today at 11:42 AM. Reason: add the quote