Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
Maike13
Connoisseur
Maike13 began at the beginning.

Device: IRex Iliad 1st Ed.
DR800SG now listed on Best Buy web site

iRex's new DR800SG is now listed on Best Buy's web site. $449!!!! Too rich for me especially with the new B&N reader at $260.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218124206221
Maike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Not too bad, considering it's a 8" screen instead of 6" like the Nook.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 08:47 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It says in a couple places that the Ram is expandable.

128MB DDR RAM
Provides smooth operation. Expandable to 256MB.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
too heavy weight for the que. whats the weight on the que?
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:47 AM   #5
dcb
dcb began at the beginning.

Device: Palm T|X
There's a lot I like about the DR800, and I was perfectly happy with the announced $400 MSRP, but $450 is pushing it up into Kindle DX territory - and well past the KDX refurb price. Makes me a little grumpy...

Have to wait to see how the device handles PDF, and early reviews...
dcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
Maike13
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Not too bad, considering it's a 8" screen instead of 6" like the Nook.
I guess you're right. I'm just disappointed it's $50 more than the previously announced MSRP ($399). I really like the look of this reader and I'd been trying to persuade myself $399 wasn't a ridiculous price to pay for a "one-trick" device like this, and now it's $50 more. I don't think my powers of persuasion go quite that high
Old 10-21-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
$450. What are they thinking? Hopefully it's a mistake because iRex's own PDF press release already said it was going to be $399.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:01 AM   #8
Maike13
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
There's a lot I like about the DR800, and I was perfectly happy with the announced $400 MSRP, but $450 is pushing it up into Kindle DX territory - and well past the KDX refurb price. Makes me a little grumpy...

Have to wait to see how the device handles PDF, and early reviews...
My feelings exactly. I'm guessing we probably have the current lousy dollar-euro exchange rate to blame.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maike13 View Post
My feelings exactly. I'm guessing we probably have the current lousy dollar-euro exchange rate to blame.
Hmm, could be... That would explain the $50 difference if you keep the euro price the same.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:52 PM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maike13 View Post
I'm guessing we probably have the current lousy dollar-euro exchange rate to blame.
That would be my guess.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
lunged
Enthusiast
lunged doesn't litterlunged doesn't litter

Device: iPad
I still hope that price is a mistake. I was pretty confident I wanted this one at $400, but 50 extra dollars pushes it just out of reach. I'll go with the Nook if the $450 price tag remains.
lunged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:05 PM   #12
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I agree, pricing is a bit off. With the new cheaper readers coming out and more price competition I expect we'll see it drop to $375-400 within a couple of months. 2" screen space isn't worth that much price difference compared to a device like the B&N reader.

If screen size is a big issue, just pay a little more and grab a DX?
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #13
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
And note the weight -- 14.6 ounces. That's mighty heavy.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #14
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
And note the weight -- 14.6 ounces. That's mighty heavy.
That isn't heavy. The iLiad is 15.3 ounces and the Kindle DX is 18.9.

I don't find the iLiad heavy. Except when holding it with one hand on the bottom, that does get a little tiring.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:11 PM   #15
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
I just guess that their have their product sheet wrong. The expandable memory thingie seems a nonsense too. I guess it's a misunderstanding with the fact that the storage memory will be SD based. I hope the price is an error too.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote