Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 05:13 AM   #1
ppulle
ppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverppulle exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: kobo
Unbricking after firmware 2.0 update dancing squares

Hi,
Like some others who updated to v2.0 firmware my Kobo ended up with an infinite dancing squares problem.

All the steps below I got from other posts. Thanks to the original posters who worked things out. I'm just putting it all in one place. Pardon any mistakes.

This unbricking procedure will get you to the state you can reload your Calibre epubs. It won't get you to the state where you can sync via Kobo Desktop and load your purchased books.

The steps are:
1. Do a factory reset using on/off slider and home button
2. Load up a previous version firmware
3. Add a dummy user account to the Kobo
4. sideload your epubs

1) Factory Reset. I don't know the exact combination, I've been fiddling about at random, please don't complain if you have problems. I think I got my factory reset by
a) plugging into power
b) turning off by sliding power button till dancing squares stop dancing
c) slide on
d) quickly press home button.
The red light should flash and then the Kobo rapidly flashes white as it is reformatting to your factory state. You Kobo will hopefully now be in factory condition
If someone can post the definitive factory reset procedure please do so in a clear manner that others can duplicate.

2) Load a previous version of the firmware. (or keep it factory fresh it you prefer)
This post has v 1.9.17, search the forums for other versions if you like.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=27
a) Download the file
b) Connect your Kobo and open the file structure in explorer. Look for the .kobo folder and unzip the files from the firmware file into it.
c) Eject and then unplug your Kobo.
Your Kobo should install your new (old) firmware

3) Add a dummy user account
Your Kobo will not recognise any added books until a user account is added. Normally you do this via the desktop app. However until the firmware 2.0 issue is fixed, this will just get you back to brick state.
This thread has details on the procedure. There are a number of ways, below was mine.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171664
Google for a program called sqlitebrowser and run it.
Open the file KoboReader.sqlite in the .kobo folder and execute the command
INSERT INTO "user" VALUES('foo','foo','foo','foo','foo') using the SQL command executer (Third tab I think)
Save your database.

4) Eject and then unplug. Turn off and on. Now plug back in and try loading a book or two via Calbre.

Hopefully your Kobo is now working.

I've tried a number of ways to get 2.0 to work. None did. Any help would be appreciated.
1) Normal sync by Desktop.
2) Manual loading v2.0 firmware:
a) Capture the v2.0 firmware. As Desktop app downloads it saves a zip file to
C:\Users\<user>\Local Settings\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition\kobo3-update-2.0.0.zip in Win7 (I suppose it will be something similiar in NT). After it is downloaded it is sent to the Kobo, then is deleted. If you watch this file at the same time you are downloading you can copy/paste it somewhere else before it is deleted. You have to be quick.
b) factory reset and manual update as per steps above. Tried from factory firmware and a later firmware version..didn't work.
3) Updated by waiting a hour, also let the Kobo run all night dancing with squares with power on it and it still didn't update properly.

Please fix this problem Kobo. I'd really like to try out the new features everyone else is. Can't buy any books till I can sync via Desktop app again.
ppulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
My issues has been the dancing squares locked up.

Nothing worked after this. Paperclip reset, home button reset. Nothing.

What I found 'works' is: bring up the Kobo desktop. Plug in the usb. For some reason, the squares start dancing again, sometimes.

You may have to sync the desktop to get the squaresto dance.

And by 'works' I mean that the squares are dancing again. For 7 1/2 hours so far...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
This has to be one of the oddest threads I've ever read. I'm just speechless.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
HubbaDubbaDubba
HubbaDubbaDubba began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
This has to be one of the oddest threads I've ever read. I'm just speechless.
Not that odd, really. I faced a similar issue yesterday after trying to downgrade from 2.0.0 to 1.9.14.
HubbaDubbaDubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is how one does a factory reset when you can't do it from within the device:
Hold down the power button for 15 seconds. Hold down the home button and keep it pressed while turning the device on.
Advert
Old 07-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #6
RickyB
Enthusiast
RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
Whats odd is an update that simply doesn't work on so many devices!
Mines five hours at the loading screen now.
A support case has been logged, awaiting a reply.
RickyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
A support case has been logged, awaiting a reply.
Good luck. I was supposedly escalated to Tier 2 (yesterday), but I'm not holding my breath.

I managed to force a downgrade, after a fair bit of fiddling and swearing. If I never see a pulsing square again in my life, I think I'll be happy!
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #8
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This is how one does a factory reset when you can't do it from within the device:
Hold down the power button for 15 seconds. Hold down the home button and keep it pressed while turning the device on.
Sorry, this didn't work. Just caused the dancing to stop. And stay stopped.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #9
murg
No Comment

What's odd is that continuously dancing squares is considered a victory.

As in: my Kobo Touch may not be usable, but at least it's doing alive.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Murg--I know it is a real problem. I wasn't meaning to be disrespectful. I do know though that this is waaaay too much for folks to have to go through and that there has to be a better way--or a different solution.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #11
RickyB
Enthusiast
RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

OK I discovered 24/7 freecall number in Australia (its 10pm here) and managed to speak to Kobo support. Their only suggestion was a factory reset (hold down home button and then slide the power button) which I'm working through now. Its now forcing an upgrade so fingers crossed.

Update: ... and it failed. Back to the loading screen loop.

Last edited by RickyB; 07-12-2012 at 08:43 AM. Reason: there/their
Old 07-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I wonder if any of this is location based. Seems like there are three folks from Australia in this very short thread--though that may be a time zone issue artifact, given that it is early AM in my part of the world.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #13
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Mine is in the same state. I lodged an email with them yesterday and then called earlier today. On the phone, they were making it seem like this is such a unique issue until I said that I had come across a number of people on this forum who were also suffering the same fate. The lady quickly admitted that they were experiencing problems with this latest update and she has elevated my email to Tier 2. Since Tier 2 support is as common as unicorns on my back lawn, I'm not holding my breath.

I really wonder where Kobo management's heads are at . You know, the first thing I did after submitting my email to support was to start researching other ebook readers (here in Oz, Dick Smith's carry the Kindle Touch in store). How many users face issues such as this, submit emails to support and are left thinking they may have done something wrong, that Kobo doesn't believe they have a real problem with their device or just leave use waiting for this mythical Tier 2 support. Those people are going to start looking at competing devices and some will make the jump. If Kobo loses them, it isn't the cost of the reader so much as it is future book revenues that won't come back or have I misunderstood the business model? What Kobo needs to do is to make a statement about this issue so that those of us with Kobo bricks, know that Kobo know the problem exists and are working on a solution. The worst thing they could do is say nothing.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #14
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
TongueTied: couldn't have said it better myself! I'm in the market for at least two more ereaders over the next three months... and how this is handled will bear on those decisions.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #15
RickyB
Enthusiast

Quote:
I wonder if any of this is location based. Seems like there are three folks from Australia in this very short thread--though that may be a time zone issue artifact, given that it is early AM in my part of the world.
Few more reports on an Australian forum too, so maybe something in that. Why that should be the case, who knows.......

Rang Kobo support again following the failure of their first resolution. They stepped me through the factory reset - again - and its the same result, stuck on the loading screen. Its now been escalated internally to Tier 2.

If you are in Australia - don't go near this update.