Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-18-2011, 10:53 PM   #331
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I got an email from someone who amazon pushed an 5.0.1 OTA update to. It fixes the exploit AND removes all developer keys. Aka, install usbnetwork now before it's too late! I already wrote an alternative payload that doesn't make use of the developer keys, but I don't know if I should release it before I find another exploit.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:11 AM   #332
dionoea
Enthusiast
dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dionoea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
I got an email from someone who amazon pushed an 5.0.1 OTA update to. It fixes the exploit AND removes all developer keys. Aka, install usbnetwork now before it's too late!
Unless they also fixed the NFS thing in diag mode it's not really too late (btw, if anyone can confirm that it works on the Kindle Touch I'd appreciate)
dionoea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:06 AM   #333
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
I just jailbreaked a 5.0.1, at least I got a "successful" update for the usbnetwork hack. Does this indicate, the jailbreak is still working ??
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:51 AM   #334
rayg47
rayg47 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Could anyone give a more detailed explanation of how to install the screensaver mod? I have the jailbreak installed fine. All I saw in the screensaver file was how to name the images. I was just wondering how to actually install the mod. Thanks.
rayg47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #335
abishur
Enthusiast
abishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 4 Touch
My bad, I had installed the usbnetwork exploit first and that readme file had the instructions (which are not included in the screensaver one).

The way to install it is to copy the file named "xxxx_install.bin" to the root of your kindle. You don't have to connect it in any fancy way, just plug it into your PC and copy and paste.

Once it's copied over, go to the settings menu on your kindle. In the settings menu, click on the "menu" button again and click the option that says "update your kindle" or something along those lines.

It will restart and install the update. At that point you will have a folder on your kindle named screensaver that you will be able to add pictures to using the naming scheme described in the readme file.
abishur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #336
rayg47
rayg47 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Thanks for the info Abishur! Much appreciated.
rayg47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #337
miguelos
Enthusiast
miguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toys

Device: K3-3G, KT SO
I confirm - it's not working on 5.0.1 - after "please wait while your kindle is being freed" nothing happens - just gets back to screensaver (Special Offer in my case)

(my kindle got updated without me noticing it - or was it send to me already in 5.0.1 ? don't know - I checked firmware version a day after connecting to wifi)

is there any way to check if jailbreak was successful ? (e.g - menu/settings/device info)
miguelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #338
aldum
aldum began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch/Keyboard 3G (undeciced))
Hi!

I've been watching this thread for some time, and I'd also like to thank you guys for making this jailbreak possible. Thanks for all your dedicated work!

Also, I have a question: What's deal with the internet access? Is it possible to bypass the AmazonCloud-Wikipedia limit?
aldum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #339
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelos View Post
I confirm - it's not working on 5.0.1 - after "please wait while your kindle is being freed" nothing happens - just gets back to screensaver (Special Offer in my case)

(my kindle got updated without me noticing it - or was it send to me already in 5.0.1 ? don't know - I checked firmware version a day after connecting to wifi)

is there any way to check if jailbreak was successful ? (e.g - menu/settings/device info)
So I wonder why I could install the usbnetwork hack. Mine was delivered with 5.0.1 obviously. Took it out of the box and run the jailbreak without registering or hooking up to WiFi in advance. Only after this I realised, that it is already on 5.0.1

In case Jailbreak would not hve been successful, the usbnetwork should not have been installed successfully.

UPDATE: and I can SSH to the KT with WinSCP, some error messages but the explorer screen comes up and I can enter the kindle.
Definitly I did NOT update the KT, neither before, nore after the jailbreak to 5.0.1, it came with it and I hooked WiFi AFTER the jailbreak and having checked the firmware version.
Am I the only one who was successful on 5.0.1?

Last edited by diba; 12-19-2011 at 11:51 AM.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #340
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you get the "your kindle is being freed", the jailbreak worked.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #341
miguelos
Enthusiast
miguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toys

but I didn't get "software update - update successful" - and it didn't restart after that.. (as on your movie)
can I try usbnetworking without damaging it ? or it simply won't work (if it's not jailbroken)
Old 12-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #342
dasmoover
Connoisseur
dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
You won't damage it attempting to install usbnetwork, since the payload for the jailbreak is done through the mp3 file, you do not need to reboot your device for it to take effect.
dasmoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #343
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelos View Post
but I didn't get "software update - update successful" - and it didn't restart after that.. (as on your movie)
can I try usbnetworking without damaging it ? or it simply won't work (if it's not jailbroken)
If you never copied the usbnetwork update over, why would you get the update successful box? Read the readme.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:25 PM   #344
miguelos
Enthusiast

got it - I thought this box was simply after applying jailbreak (now I know it's after installing usbnetwork included in the package ) thanks
Old 12-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #345
dasmoover
Connoisseur
dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
Here is a small package to be unzipped on root and used in conjunction with the jailbreak.
Utilizing the runme.sh function, the script copies over a modified version of iptables with access to port 22 over wlan. This will allow you to ssh in without having to connect it via usb.

http://gitbrew.org/~dasmoover/kindle...ch-jb-wifi.zip
dasmoover is offline   Reply With Quote