Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
Artisan
Miles away from ordinary.
Artisan began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR
Sci Fi containing genius

So I just got done with Ender's Game, and really loved it. I jumped right into the next in the series.

Since I enjoy reading about characters with specific genius abilities (such as photographic memory, etc.), I'd like to explore this a bit more.

Does anyone know of any good books (preferably futuristic, hopefully with some additional elements such as aliens or zombies) that contain a character or characters like this?

I'm not looking for it to be the focus of the book, mind you. But for me it seems to make the story more interesting.
Artisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:22 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan View Post
So I just got done with Ender's Game, and really loved it. I jumped right into the next in the series.

Since I enjoy reading about characters with specific genius abilities (such as photographic memory, etc.), I'd like to explore this a bit more.
Miles Vorkosigan in the series by Lois McMaster Bujold. The first one's free.

Arthur Morton McAndrew in the stories by Charles Sheffield.

Artemis Fowl in the series by Eoin Colfer.

Adele Mundy in the Lt. Leary series by David Drake. (First three are free.)

Many of the Heinlein Juveniles, e.g. Podkayne of Mars or The Rolling Stones, or Have Spacesuit, Will Travel.

Lisbeth Salander of The Girl ... trilogy by Steig Larsson
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:38 AM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
and the most amazing and tragic - Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Not Sci Fi but, my favorite Genius is Nero Wolfe.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:38 AM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I agree with Paul regarding the Miles Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold. However, most of the series is available free from the 5th Imperium on the Cryoburn CD. Cryoburn is the newest book in the series. It wasn't as good as the earlier books.

Although Lisbeth Salander is a genius, I thought the Steig Larsson series featuring her (beginning with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) was very badly written. I know that it is an international bestseller, but bestseller, well-written, and worth reading are not equivalents.

Kenny's suggestion of Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes is an excellent choice.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Well, there's the pre-cursor character Doc Savage, The Man of Bronze...

While it doesn't have the same feel, there are many brilliant characters in Herbert's Dune novels (only read the first 1, 3 or 6 which Frank Herbert himself wrote, depending on your tolerance and enjoyment)

Lex Luthor in Elliot S. Maggins' _Superman: The Last Son of Krypton_ is of course brilliant, as is the novel.

Isaac Asimov's Dr. Susan Calvin of his robot stories

E. E. Doc Smith's Richard Seaton
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I would say Blindsight by Peter Watts. His characters are some very deranged geniuses.

There's also his Rifters trilogy that's similar if you enjoy Blindsight.
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Even though it starts with his death, Hari Seldon in the Foundation series.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #9
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Lets see what I can add:

Thomas Orley from David Brin's Startide rising.

Honor Harrington

Susan Calvin from I Robot (The short story collection, not the movie!).

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #10
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Quote:

Does anyone know of any good books (preferably futuristic, hopefully with some additional elements such as aliens or zombies) that contain a character or characters like this?

I'm not looking for it to be the focus of the book, mind you. But for me it seems to make the story more interesting.
any of the heinlein future history stories and novels with a character named "Andrew Jackson 'slip-stick' Libby.

Quote:
Future History
1. Life-Line (1939 in the original published version, 1951 in book collections)
2. "Let There Be Light" (soon after Life-Line)
Word Edgewise (Never written)
3. The Roads Must Roll
4. Blowups Happen
5. The Man Who Sold the Moon
6. Delilah and the Space Rigger
7. Space Jockey
8. Requiem
9. The Long Watch (1999)
10. Gentlemen, Be Seated!
11. The Black Pits of Luna
12. "It's Great to Be Back!"
13. "--We Also Walk Dogs"
14. Searchlight
15. Ordeal in Space
16. The Green Hills of Earth
Fire Down Below (Never written)
17. Logic of Empire
18. The Menace from Earth
The Sound of His Wings (Never written)
Eclipse(Never written)
The Stone Pillow (Never written)
19. "If This Goes On--"
20. Coventry
21. Misfit
Universe (prologue only) (2119)
22. Methuselah's Children (2136-2210)
23. Universe (~3500)
24. Common Sense (~3500)
25. Time Enough for Love (4272- and earlier time periods)
26. To Sail Beyond the Sunset
probably most of the ones after (and including) misfit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00003.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	77984  
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #11
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.. Mike is a great, great character.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #12
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Although Lisbeth Salander is a genius, I thought the Steig Larsson series featuring her (beginning with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) was very badly written. I know that it is an international bestseller, but bestseller, well-written, and worth reading are not equivalents.
I thought they were very well written. Did you read it in Swedish or translated?

Growing up in Sweden, I discarded several authors as mediocre or worse, only to discover when I grew up and was able to read them in English, that they had merely been unfortunate victims of a barely competent translator.

And the Salander books are not sci-fi
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:16 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
And the Salander books are not sci-fi
Whoops. Good point.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #14
anjirlly
Groupie
anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle on Android phone; PB360; Sony 950
Quote:
I enjoy reading about characters with specific genius abilities (such as photographic memory, etc.)
C.J. Cherryh's Cyteen has a murdered genius whose clone has to figure out what happened.

Nancy Kress's Sleepless series, starting with Beggars in Spain, features kids who have extra hours available to develop their talents since their genes have been tweaked to do away with the need for sleep.
anjirlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #15
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Well, there's the pre-cursor character Doc Savage, The Man of Bronze...

While it doesn't have the same feel, there are many brilliant characters in Herbert's Dune novels (only read the first 1, 3 or 6 which Frank Herbert himself wrote, depending on your tolerance and enjoyment)

Lex Luthor in Elliot S. Maggins' _Superman: The Last Son of Krypton_ is of course brilliant, as is the novel.

Isaac Asimov's Dr. Susan Calvin of his robot stories

E. E. Doc Smith's Richard Seaton
Some other comic book characters to mention:

Brainiac 5: A member of the Legion Of Super-Heroes who is from the planet Colu. He has a 12th level intelligence (normal humans have a 6th level intelligence) and he has been described as having a computer brain. Despite his name, he is not an android although he is related to the original Brainiac (Superman's enemy).

Vril Dox: The founder of L.E.G.I.O.N. (a space based security force) who is both highly intelligent and utterly ruthless.

Mister Terrific (Michael Holt): Considered the third most intelligent man in the world.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote