Notices

Old 12-25-2007, 05:15 PM   #1
Alan
Connoisseur
Alan began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Bookmark bug

Hi there,

besides a lot of other problems with the buggy 1.0 firmware I noticed recently a bookmark bug:

After the Cybook has been switched on for a longer period of time (many hours or days) bookmarks cannot be set anymore. I can call the bookmark menu and select "Add bookmark" but nothing will happen. A reboot will always solve that problem.

Usually the Cybook save the last position you read in a book even without using a bookmark. In the case of this bug it will not. Currently I set a new bookmark every few pages, just to make sure I will not end up looking desperately for the page I was reading before the last reboot.

Does anybody recogneize this problem? Any hints? I am really looking forward to the next firmware update hoping it will kill a lot of those nasty bugs.

Alan

PS: I should mention that I only use prc-files (books I bought or I created with the MobiPocket Creator).
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:24 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Hi there,

besides a lot of other problems with the buggy 1.0 firmware I noticed recently a bookmark bug:

After the Cybook has been switched on for a longer period of time (many hours or days) bookmarks cannot be set anymore. I can call the bookmark menu and select "Add bookmark" but nothing will happen. A reboot will always solve that problem.

Usually the Cybook save the last position you read in a book even without using a bookmark. In the case of this bug it will not. Currently I set a new bookmark every few pages, just to make sure I will not end up looking desperately for the page I was reading before the last reboot.

Does anybody recogneize this problem? Any hints? I am really looking forward to the next firmware update hoping it will kill a lot of those nasty bugs.

Alan

PS: I should mention that I only use prc-files (books I bought or I created with the MobiPocket Creator).

What I've always found helpful is to, when I want to turn it off - say for going to sleep for the night - is to first exit to the Library. When you do that it always bookmarks your current position. I've noticed just turing the Cybook off sometimes loses the current position.

I haven't noticed other bookmarking problems because I'm not one for 'bookmarking' a novel. Sorry.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:40 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
What I've always found helpful is to, when I want to turn it off - say for going to sleep for the night - is to first exit to the Library. When you do that it always bookmarks your current position. I've noticed just turing the Cybook off sometimes loses the current position.
And letting the batteri run out definitely loses the current position which is very irritating since the batteri indicator is not visible when reading a book.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:58 PM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
And letting the batteri run out definitely loses the current position which is very irritating since the batteri indicator is not visible when reading a book.

What's most freaky is when I distinctly remember seeing battery level at 50% and then doing a long haul of reading - and leaving the Cybook on when I go to sleep, but especially the lots of page turning and suddenly finding the Cybook won't go to the next page. Oops! And of course whenever this DOES happen, I've gone through several hundred pages since my last 'exit-to-Library' bookmarking process!!!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
Striking Claw
Enthusiast
Striking Claw doesn't litterStriking Claw doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3, ILiad, HP hx4700
Bookmark never work

I can't set any bookmarks on my cybook. I can call up the bookmark menu and select "add bookmark" but nothing will happen. I tried different eBooks but it didn't work with any off them
Striking Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:31 PM   #6
adelheid
Zealot
adelheid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Hi there,

Alan

Yup, recognize it, happened just the other night after reading for many hours. Reboot fixed it, but ofcourse it took me a long time to find the page where I was at.

No hints yet ...

Last edited by adelheid; 12-26-2007 at 02:36 PM.
adelheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:33 PM   #7
adelheid
Zealot
adelheid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striking Claw View Post
I can't set any bookmarks on my cybook. I can call up the bookmark menu and select "add bookmark" but nothing will happen. I tried different eBooks but it didn't work with any off them
Happened to me too. I solved it by transferring the book from the card to the Cybook. It turned out my sd card had become corrupted. Are your books also on the card?
adelheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:17 PM   #8
Alan
Connoisseur
Alan began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Hi again,

well it seems I am not the only one having a problem with getting back to the page in a book I was reading before.

What I did now is to turn on auto power off. So far I just let my Cybook turned on indefinitely. Power consumption is so low, it is not a problem at all. The bookmark bug usually appeared after many hours (or days) of the Cybook being turned on. So I figured a regular reboot (just like with Windows) would be a good idea.

With auto power off enabled the Cybook will save the position in a book before shutting down. So I hope to get at least a temporary solution for this bug. I will see whether my idea will work over the next days or not. I will keep you updated.

Alan
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:39 PM   #9
Striking Claw
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelheid View Post
Happened to me too. I solved it by transferring the book from the card to the Cybook. It turned out my sd card had become corrupted. Are your books also on the card?
Yes. All my books are on the SD Card which was part of the Deluxe Edition.
After your post I tried to copy one of my books into the internal storage and then I tried the bookmark function again and it worked.
When I connect my Cybook to my PC, I allways get an error message that the SD Card is possibly corrupt (I use Windows Vista). It doesn't matter if I let Windows repair the card or not, the next time I connect the Cybook I get the same error message.
One of the main advantages of an EBook Reader is that I can take my whole library with me and the internal storage is way to small to store a usefull amount of EBooks in it. So is their at least a possibility to transfer a EBook from the storage card to the internal storage without having to connect it to a PC?
Then it would at least be possible to take my library with me on the SD Card and then copy the book I want to read into the internal storage, so I could use Bookmarks.
Not only do the bookmarks not work on the SD Card, whenever I reopen the EBook (after shutdown for example), the EBook starts at the cover page.
So I either have to keep my Cybook running, or read until the end of a capter, so that I can at least use the "Go To Table of Contents" feature to repostion the EBook. Since thir are no page numbers the "Go To Page..." also doesn't help.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:41 PM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is repairing the card the same as reformatting it? I would try to reformat the card and be careful to "eject" the card before removing the USB cable. The Cybook obviously fails to write to the card.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:18 PM   #11
Striking Claw
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Is repairing the card the same as reformatting it? I would try to reformat the card and be careful to "eject" the card before removing the USB cable. The Cybook obviously fails to write to the card.
The repair function is not the same as reformatting. Windows tries to repair the card, without destroying the contents. The repaired document will then be placed in a special folder. Strangely enough after Windows has finished "repairing" the card, this folder is still emty. Seams their are no documents to repair.
I also tried to reformat the card. This doesn't change a thing.
Since I transfered my EBooks to the Cybook using the synchonise function of the Mobipocket Desktop and since I'm able to read those book after synchronisation, the Cybook can write onto the card, it just doesn't create any bookmarks.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:49 PM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striking Claw View Post
Since I transfered my EBooks to the Cybook using the synchonise function of the Mobipocket Desktop and since I'm able to read those book after synchronisation, the Cybook can write onto the card, it just doesn't create any bookmarks.
I do not think that is a valid conclusion. It is the Windows operation system that understands the file system when you write it from the Mobipocket Desktop. When you write from the Cybook it is the Linux in the cybook that has to know how to write to the filesystem. So if you have placed a file system on the card that the Linux system only can read you would get these symptoms.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:28 PM   #13
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
I'm loving my CyBook, but the bookmark option just does not work reliably. I have experienced numerous instances when trying to set a bookmark locks the CyBook up entirely.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:52 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Strange; I use the bookmark facility all the time to mark pages with errors when I'm proofreading the books that I create. I've never had a problem with it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:27 AM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

I have never had a problem with bookmarks either. I assume that a corrupted file system on the SD card could give lock up symtoms since you try to write in the SD card when you bookmark.

Or is it dependent on what file are used?