Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
tadhgadams
tadhgadams began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad mini 4
PDF conversion problem with quotes.

Looking through the forums, I see that PDF conversion is a tricky beast. So thank you for all the work to making it as painless as it is.

The issue I have is I have PDFs that use ‘ and ’ for quote marks which when converted to any other format show up as „ and ” respectively and I'm trying to figure out the best way to solve it.

I tried "Transliterate unicode characters to ASCII" as well as "Smarten Punctuation" without success.

I ran the debug process and the problem occurs in the input plugin. I didn't know if I need to find some way to edit the PDFs prior to putting them into Calibre or if there was a way for me to replace „ with ‘ and ” with ’ before Calibre converts from the html to the mobi/epub or if there's another answer.
tadhgadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I use Mobipocket Creator to convert PDFs. It imports the PDF and generates an editable HTML file during the conversion. I edit the file in Word and then rebuild the book with Mobipocket, and add it to Calibre. It's a little tedious, but it does work.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
This kind of thing just happens with some pdf documents. I think it's a side effect of pdftohtml, which is the engine that Calibre uses to convert pdfs. The new pdf engine may fix some of these cases, but it's not ready yet.

You'll need to use Sigil or a text editor to do a find and replace after conversion. There isn't any feature in Calibre at this point that lets you do search and replace on screwed up quotes.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote