Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Problems with Libre 18g upgrade

I have the Firmware folder on the root of the SD card. I reset the Libre. I press the > and power button together. All I get is the Aluratek splash page. I pressed these keys for about 5 minutes and never got the picture of the trashcan that the instructions indicate. I'm upgrading from 0.15v. Any advice? Thanks.

Last edited by Desertway; 08-26-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
I just bought a Libre yesterday. Downloaded the firmware, extracted the .bin file to a firmware folder on the SD card. Worked a treat.

Did you remember to reset the device first? That's part of the instructions, don't know how much it influences the boot.
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #3
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
I just bought a Libre yesterday. Downloaded the firmware, extracted the .bin file to a firmware folder on the SD card. Worked a treat.

Did you remember to reset the device first? That's part of the instructions, don't know how much it influences the boot.
\

Thanks. Yes, I copied the Firmware folder which contains the .bin file to the SD card. Rebooted the device. Held down the buttons. Nothing but the Aluratek screen. I have a support ticket in, but haven't heard anything.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
capidamonte
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Did you use the reset button on the back?
Old 08-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
Desertway
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
Did you use the reset button on the back?
Yes. I also took everything else off of the SD card except the firmware folder, in case something was interfering. I disk checked the SD card to make sure it was healthy.

First problem I have run into with my Libre, which I love. Then again, it's the first time I have upgraded the firmware. I'm wondering if I have to go back to a 16 version firmware first. I tried a version 17 which was the oldest I could find. The firmware versions don't seem to be archived on the Aluratek website.
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 05:51 AM   #6
capidamonte

I was on a v15. Went straight to 18g.
  • My card was FAT16, if that matters. You could also try resetting all configuration to defaults. I think there's a menu for that.
  • It shouldn't matter on a FAT card, but is the firmware folder name all lower case?
  • When you copied it, is there any chance that there are some attributes set that could interfere with the system seeing it?
  • Have you tried redownloading? It may have been corrupted.
  • Have you tried making the firmware folder by hand, then copying the BIN file into it?
  • Consider formatting the card again, if you haven't already, or try another card if you have one. I've had a few cards that were intermittently weird with one device, but not another.

Just some thoughts.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
Thanks for the Notice of the FW Update.

I had loaded FW 17d before and I have now updated to FW 18g.

My comment w/re to the FW update process is to reset the device, swap in the Card with the firmware, hold down the ">" first and then follow up with the holding in of the "Power Button", then keep pressing both even after the logo screen comes up. This should bring up the FW update screen.

If not have you tried doing the FW update from the Self Test menu. I'll look up the link and then update this note.

**Update**
Self-Test menu access is as follows
self-test menu? (Power on after "Reset" while holding the menu and zoom buttons) after the "Aluratek" page displays you can release all buttons and wait for the Self-test Menu

I did not find a "Firmware Update" option here but you might want to try the "Restore to Factory Default" and then do a complete re-boot.
Followed up with testing your access to the various menus and folders.

Then if all appears well - do a "reset" and re-try the FW update.

****** end of update to post ******

FW 18g is great. I believe Aluratek doesn't want to be left too far behind Ectaco's jetBook.

ePub now supports TOC as well as a "Find" option. There is also an "About Screen". Zooming continues to be in percentage where as the JB returned to No. of pixles in the font.

For PDF - TOC was there before but there is now a "Find" options as well and again the "About Screen". All other options have remained in place.

I don't know if ePub support for B&N has been added. I don't have any B&N e-books.

I noticed that the Patch level for both the JB and the ALP are now the same v18.

John

Last edited by jlg432; 08-27-2010 at 11:23 AM.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
cypressraven
cypressraven began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
Upgrade first to 16

I bought a Libre yesterday, which had version 15. My firmware update also failed, twice. Support just told me that sometimes you need to upgrade to the 16 before, and they are emailing the files (I asked for version 17 as well just in case).
cypressraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:17 PM   #9
Desertway
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressraven View Post
I bought a Libre yesterday, which had version 15. My firmware update also failed, twice. Support just told me that sometimes you need to upgrade to the 16 before, and they are emailing the files (I asked for version 17 as well just in case).
If I PM you with my email address, do you think you could email me the files as well? I have not yet heard back from support. I have tried every suggestion above.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #10
cypressraven

No problem

Though I will be at work later on so might be later when I email the files.

BTW I called the support number and got someone right away.

Though I still have not successfully managed to upgrade the firmware. I am using older 1GB cards and may need to just get a new one.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
Desertway
Addict

Well, I took your lead and called support. He had me take the SD card out, and do the firmware button press. He said that even without the firmware upgrade available on the device, it should get past the splash screen and attempt the update even though it would fail. It did not. He said I should send it in for repair or replacement. This means no Libre for 2 to 3 weeks - don't know if I can handle that.

Last edited by Desertway; 08-27-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:50 PM   #12
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
Desertway, I believe you will find this upgrade worth the wait.

TOC support in both PDF and ePub
Content Search(Find) in both PDF and ePub
No lost of any features in the other supported formats.

Also you may need to do other FW updates to resolve issues or get more enhancements in the future.

My unit was at FW 17 when purchased and I have managed to update twice (17k and 18g).

At 17 I had TOC in PDF with Reflow on/off - no content search.
All other formats (ePub included) had no TOC but all supported "Find" another name for "Content Search", which comes in handy when there is no TOC support.

17k - added TOC to ePub and now font size became a zoom percentage in ePub. You lost "Find" support in ePub only. PDF never had it.

18G - Added TOC suuport to ePub and "Content Search" to both ePub and PDF. Same features now available to jetBook with FW .35m. Now JB and ALP are at Patch 18.

John

Last edited by jlg432; 08-27-2010 at 09:53 PM.
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #13
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
18G also fixed the weird "opens the wrong book" issue. At least, I haven't been able to make my Libre do it anymore.
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:53 PM   #14
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I'm following the instructions for v18 but I keep getting the update fails message. I'm going to see if I still have an older version on my HD because the problem v17 has with losing the bookmarks is really annoying.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:40 PM   #15
cypressraven

Took mine back

I called support again, and they told me that some units simply wouldn't do the update. Advised me to exchange it. I took it back to Sears and simply returned it. I think I may wait until Borders gets their units in - maybe it will have the firmware in it.

I liked a number of things about it, though the screen was a bit dark for my reading comfort.