Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #61
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Got a cite?
Search the quoted phrase. Wikipedia, a talk Bill gave, and much more...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:06 AM   #62
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Search the quoted phrase. Wikipedia, a talk Bill gave, and much more...
I did. He didn't appear to say that either. That quote appears to be some writers interpretation of some OTHER thing Gates said, which actually seemed to me more like it meant "Boy, back in 1981 640k sure seemed like a lot."

And in stunning tribute to MR's SEO, the 5th Google hit I got was your using that quote right here in this thread.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #63
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://www.wired.com/politics/law/news/1997/01/1484
Old 07-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #64
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think I'm missing something. That is an article stating that Gates never said the popularly attributed quote, and it doesn't mention the other quote at all.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #65
geekmaster

Quote:
I think I'm missing something. That is an article stating that Gates never said the popularly attributed quote, and it doesn't mention the other quote at all.
Try this one:

http://blog.softlayer.com/tag/memory/
Advert
Old 07-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #66
ApK

Quote:
Yes, that was the first Google hit. Your quote is by the author of that article, interpreting what Gates meant when he said (in a 1989 speech, according to that article):
"I have to say that in 1981, making those decisions, I felt like I was providing enough freedom for 10 years. That is, a move from 64k to 640k felt like something that would last a great deal of time. Well, it didn’t – it took about only 6 years before people started to see that as a real problem.”

As I said, that reads to me far more like he's saying, as I said, "640K sure looked like a lot back then." Also, that quote doesn't say what "decisions" he is even referring to, since, as we know, the 640K limit was imposed by the hardware design, nothing to do with Gates, Microsoft or software at all.

Have we lost everyone remotely interested in the original topic yet?

Just as well. After all, 2GB in the Kindle ought to be enough for anybody.

ApK
Old 07-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #67
geekmaster

Quote:
"I have to say that in 1981, making those decisions, I felt like I was providing enough freedom for 10 years. That is, a move from 64k to 640k felt like something that would last a great deal of time. Well, it didn’t – it took about only 6 years before people started to see that as a real problem.”
There are many variations of that quote. It has been "common knowledge" that Bill said the simpler version, but there seems to be no evidence other that variations of his "10 years" quote that was part of his denial.

The interwebs are so vast you can find supporting evidence for anything, even if it is not correct.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #68
ApK

Quote:
There are many variations of that quote. It has been "common knowledge" that Bill said the simpler version, but there seems to be no evidence other that variations of his "10 years" quote that was part of his denial.

The interwebs are so vast you can find supporting evidence for anything, even if it is not correct.
Hey! Here's the actual recorded talk from 1989!
http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/media/198...Microsoft.html
It's really kind of interesting.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #69
geekmaster

Quote:
Hey! Here's the actual recorded talk from 1989!
http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/media/198...Microsoft.html
It's really kind of interesting.
Awesome! Thanks.

Tags
expanding, expansion, flash, hack, kindle 3, memory, open, ram, software