Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #1
plunderydoo
Enthusiast
plunderydoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.plunderydoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.plunderydoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.plunderydoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.plunderydoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: WinMobile, Hanvon N516 w. OpenInkPot, eLyricon EBX-500, Iphone 3GS
German descriptions from Amazon

Hi everybody,

first of all i must say thank you to Kovid Goyal for giving this great piece of software to us.
And here is my problem:
I've already organized a whole bunch of ebook with calibre, but there is one thing i dont get clear:
When downloading Metadata for most if the books there comes no description, and if, then it is in english (all my ebooks are German).

So currently i do copy the description from amazon.de and paste it in by hand into to the Book-Metadata in calibre.
Because i still got a lot of ebooks to go, the question is how to get calibre to load the german description from amazon.de ?
I think calibre uses amazon.com for getting metadata, could this be the Problem in my case ?
And if, can i change this somewhere to amazon.de?

Thanks for your help.
plunderydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre uses various plugins to get descriptions, isbndb, google books and amazon. The amazon plugin uses the amazon AWS API which returns a description based on ISBN number. books in german should have german descriptions, but if they don't I don't easily see how that can be fixed, sorry.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
plunderydoo
Enthusiast
plunderydoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.plunderydoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.plunderydoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.plunderydoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.plunderydoo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

ok.
Doesn't sound good but still thanks for the quick answer.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
kumbaja
kumbaja is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre uses various plugins to get descriptions, isbndb, google books and amazon. The amazon plugin uses the amazon AWS API which returns a description based on ISBN number. books in german should have german descriptions, but if they don't I don't easily see how that can be fixed, sorry.
Could you offer a separate plugin for Amazon.de (and possibly all the other locales offered by amazon) or add a respective dropdown in the plugin customization window?
The API is pretty much the same, you just use a different endpoint for the request.
kumbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As far as I know there is no separate API for amazon.de as far as querying AWS is concerned.
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
kumbaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
As far as I know there is no separate API for amazon.de as far as querying AWS is concerned.
Same API but different endpoint (and different product database, hence different product summaries)

See http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AW...alLocales.html

The US locale doesn't have all the german books available.
For example the Simon Beckett's "Whispers of the Dead" (titled "Leichenblässe" in German).

The US ISBN is 978-0385340069, which can be found in the US and UK locale
The UK ISBN is 978-0593055267, which can only be found in the UK locale
The DE ISBN is 978-3805208666, which can only be found in the DE locale
(all hardcovers respectively)

Additionally the Editorial Review for the US ISBN is different in the US and UK locale.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yes, but how does one actually use that in an AWS query?
Old 08-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
kumbaja

If you use the SOAP API you use a different WSDL (see http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AW...LLocation.html)

If you use the REST API you simply query a different URL. I.e. A amazon.com query might look like this:
Code:
http://webservices.amazon.com/onca/xml?AWSAccessKeyId=[Access_Key]&
IdType=ISBN&
ItemId=[Query ISBN]&
Operation=ItemLookup&
ResponseGroup=Medium&
SearchIndex=Books&
Service=AWSECommerceService&
Timestamp=[Timestamp]&
Version=2009-01-06&
Signature=[Signature]
In order to query the DE locale you simply replce the base URL
Code:
http://webservices.amazon.de/onca/xml?AWSAccessKeyId=[Access_Key]&
IdType=ISBN&
ItemId=[Query ISBN]&
Operation=ItemLookup&
ResponseGroup=Medium&
SearchIndex=Books&
Service=AWSECommerceService&
Timestamp=[Timestamp]&
Version=2009-01-06&
Signature=[Signature]
Old 08-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
kumbaja

On a similar note: Why isn't there a cover plugin for amazon? The metadata plugin is already pretty borderline in regards to amazon's recent policy changes in regards to mobile devices.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It definitely wont be separate plugins, but I could probably modify the plugin to use the current GUI language to decide which db to connect to.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No point in having an amazon cover plugin, the same covers are available elsewhere.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Open a ticket for it, so I don't forget
Old 08-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #13
kumbaja

Hmm, well there are similar issues with the cover download plugins. In many cases the cover download will use an US based cover instead of a proper German one even if the German ISBN is used.

Are the cover download plugins also open source and if so, where can I find their source as they are not in the main bazaar repository?
Edit: nevermind. They are in the source, just not where I expected them.

Last edited by kumbaja; 08-11-2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: stupid
Old 08-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #14
plunderydoo
Enthusiast

Great News.
Thanks for engagement !!
Old 08-21-2010, 05:14 AM   #15
plunderydoo
Enthusiast

Not sure now what going to happen now:
Is there to be a change in the current Calibre-Amazonplugin or a extra plugin for Amazon DE ?
And (of course) when to expect ?