Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-16-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle 2 question

I own an "original" Kindle 2 that I bought the week they came out about a year ago.

I see there is an "international" K2 for sale now.

Question: Is there a hardware or software difference?

I am in the Navy and will be deploying in the next 6 months and was wondering if I need to download all my books before leaving or will I be able to get books via Whispernet during port calls overseas.

Grandma? I know you have the answer...
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:13 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I am not DesertGrandma but I can tell you the only difference is the radio. Our Kindle 2 U.S. uses Sprint while the Kindle 2 International uses AT&T. If you purchased a K2i, you would have to pay an additional $1.99 per book downloaded via Whispernet while outside the U.S. It's cheaper to just download to a computer and transfer via USB.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
Sorry daffy... I was going to put you next to Grandma since you and her seem to have all the answers.

So the answer is download before I leave since there is a hardware difference. My access to computers (that I would trust) may be limited so I was looking at whispernet.

Thanks.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:24 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDad6 View Post
Sorry daffy... I was going to put you next to Grandma since you and her seem to have all the answers.

So the answer is download before I leave since there is a hardware difference. My access to computers (that I would trust) may be limited so I was looking at whispernet.

Thanks.
No need to be sorry, I was just funnin' ya.

If you think you'll be in areas where you are likely to get good cell signals, the K2i might be worth your while. If you take as many books as you can, you can use the K2i for the hopefully rare times that you need to download something else. It could be good security for you.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I recently got a kindle 2, after they switched from Sprint to AT&T. I wish I had Sprint back - much faster. I think iphones are using all the AT&T bandwidth.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I recently got a kindle 2, after they switched from Sprint to AT&T. I wish I had Sprint back - much faster. I think iphones are using all the AT&T bandwidth.
iPhones are actually using all the AT&T bandwidth.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote