Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-29-2009, 02:07 AM   #1
gigercounter
Banned
gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none yet
Don't fall in love with nook

BN stock is only around $16 a share, and Amazon is around $121 a share. BN Ebooks are priced too high. Now I hear you only have one hour per day for the instore feature (all you can read for free when you go to BN- or so they say). The nook is going for $269 which I dont even spend that much per year at B&N for books then I will have to spend more cash to fill it up. I bought a high end (physical) book at Amazon for $30 whereas BN wanted $45. If the Kindle fails- life will go on with Amazon - whereas if the Nook fails- it could spell the end for BN (then what do you do with the nook and its fancy nook covers?)
I am NOT a Kindle flamer- I do not own a reader yet. I am just standing on the sidelines and observing the whole kabobble.
This is my opinion---- whats yours?

Last edited by gigercounter; 10-29-2009 at 02:10 AM.
gigercounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:20 AM   #2
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Hrmmm... interesting logic.

The one area I think this argument is wonky, is the idea that the Nook is as useless without B&N as the Kindle would be without Amazon.

Shoot me if I'm wrong, but I think that without Amazon, books for the Kindle would fast become hard to come by. Sure, .mobi formatted ebooks are available elsewhere, but would new bestsellers be made available in .mobi format if Amazon weren't around? I don't think so. Whereas the Nook, to my understanding, supports more formats, and ones more likely to be available with or without B&N. So the wireless functionality might be completely useless (likewise the Kindle's if Amazon goes splat), but the basic 'displaying books' functionality is more resilient.

Now, my disclaimer: I don't own an ebook reader, I'm NOT in the USA (hence the whole wireless thing doesn't thrill me), and I'm just a little biased against Amazon
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2009, 02:50 AM   #3
bruba
bruba began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
If you do get that Nook, you might want to lookup an ebook on stocks and finance..
bruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:54 AM   #4
gigercounter
Banned
gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruba View Post
If you do get that Nook, you might want to lookup an ebook on stocks and finance..
why?. Whats your opinion cause I would sure like to hear it.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:58 AM   #5
gigercounter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
Hrmmm... interesting logic.

The one area I think this argument is wonky, is the idea that the Nook is as useless without B&N as the Kindle would be without Amazon.

Shoot me if I'm wrong, but I think that without Amazon, books for the Kindle would fast become hard to come by. Sure, .mobi formatted ebooks are available elsewhere, but would new bestsellers be made available in .mobi format if Amazon weren't around? I don't think so. Whereas the Nook, to my understanding, supports more formats, and ones more likely to be available with or without B&N. So the wireless functionality might be completely useless (likewise the Kindle's if Amazon goes splat), but the basic 'displaying books' functionality is more resilient.

Now, my disclaimer: I don't own an ebook reader, I'm NOT in the USA (hence the whole wireless thing doesn't thrill me), and I'm just a little biased against Amazon
Nomesque I was referring to the fact that IF Amazon could no longer afford to sell ebooks at a low price and it was not profitable for them- then they would have to discontinue the ebook foray... I know its a long shot but I am talking about a hypothetical situation here.
Advert
Old 10-29-2009, 03:01 AM   #6
bruba
bruba began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigercounter View Post
why?...
Quote:
BN stock is only around $16 a share, and Amazon is around $121 a share.
These two stock prices say nothing about the company.

Quote:
If the Kindle fails- life will go on with Amazon - whereas if the Nook fails- it could spell the end for BN (then what do you do with the nook and its fancy nook covers?)
Why would a failure of the Nook spell the end for B&N? Seems like a healthy company to me. They're getting in on the eReader hype pretty early. Failure of the Nook will mean nothing to them. They're one of the, if not the largest book retailer in the US.
bruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:24 AM   #7
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Nomesque I was referring to the fact that IF Amazon could no longer afford to sell ebooks at a low price and it was not profitable for them- then they would have to discontinue the ebook foray... I know its a long shot but I am talking about a hypothetical situation here.
So... contrasting no more ebooks from Amazon vs no more ebooks from B&N? It's probably the relative lateness (past 5pm on a hard work day), but I don't understand the difference between the hypothetical you mention in that quote, and the one I was talking about?
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:52 AM   #8
tautologico
tautologico is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2 International
Quote:
BN stock is only around $16 a share, and Amazon is around $121 a share. BN Ebooks are priced too high. Now I hear you only have one hour per day for the instore feature (all you can read for free when you go to BN- or so they say). The nook is going for $269 which I dont even spend that much per year at B&N for books then I will have to spend more cash to fill it up. I bought a high end (physical) book at Amazon for $30 whereas BN wanted $45. If the Kindle fails- life will go on with Amazon - whereas if the Nook fails- it could spell the end for BN (then what do you do with the nook and its fancy nook covers?)
I am NOT a Kindle flamer- I do not own a reader yet. I am just standing on the sidelines and observing the whole kabobble.
This is my opinion---- whats yours?
Your arguments don't make much sense. Stock price? B&N going bankrupt because of a failing product?

Even if the nook somehow fails, I expect B&N to try again to keep in this market. B&N wants a piece of the ebook market in this ipod-like model (which Amazon adopted first for books). This is probably not the ideal for the consumers; it would be better to have a single standard format and the ability to buy books for any device in any store. But right now we have the ipod model which seems to be very lucrative, so both B&N and Amazon should keep at it even if individual versions of their respective devices don't sell too well.

It's a nascent market and B&N is a big company, I think only a catastrophical failure would make them change plans.
tautologico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #9
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by tautologico View Post
It's a nascent market and B&N is a big company, I think only a catastrophical failure would make them change plans.
Agreed. This isn't, after all, their first shot at this market.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
B&N is committed to the eBook market. They have spent huge amounts of money buy eReader and fictionwise. They have developed their own reader, they have signed contracts with at least two other companies, iRex and Plastic Logic, to offer their products.

Stock prices are not indicators, of course, since companies can divide their stock and issue more stock anytime they wish. You have to look at whether the stock is going up or down to determine the success of the stock.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:39 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
The nook is going for $269 which I dont even spend that much per year at B&N for books then I will have to spend more cash to fill it up. I
If all you read is current best sellers, then yes, perhaps you will have to spend some cash to fill it up.

You are aware of the many thousands of free ebooks out there? Some by independent authors, but most public Domain?

Like some of the over 11,000 we have uploaded here for free? Not to mention feedbooks.com?

The ebook word is filled with books that will enrich your life, without spending a dime.

Last edited by DaleDe; 10-29-2009 at 02:11 PM.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #12
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Now I hear you only have one hour per day for the instore feature (all you can read for free when you go to BN- or so they say).
Where did you get that little piece of info?
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #13
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
is this a red herring or what?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:23 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, I don't think so. A red herring looks like this:

HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:51 AM   #15
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
I thought I smelt something.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote