Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-27-2009, 09:55 PM   #16
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I pre-ordered also. I've got a Sony 500, 505 and a Kindle 1 already. My biggest reason for pre-ordering is the hope that I can do my browsing at the brick and mortar B&N, and buy any books that I like as ebooks. I sort of do that now, in that I browse at B&N, noting any books that I'm interested in, then when I'm home, I check to see if the ebook is available, but I will feel better about being able to reward B&N for the browsing experience by buying from them. Right now, I simply don't have room for anymore paper or hardback books. What I really hope is that having 3 major ebook stores (Amazon, Sony and B&N) will spark more and more selection in ebooks.

The good thing is that it is possible to strip out the drm from both azw and epub. That means that by the end of the year, I should be able to buy books from any of the three major ebook stores and format switch to correct format for which ever ebook reader I decide to use as my main reader.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:29 PM   #17
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I pre-ordered also. I've got a Sony 500, 505 and a Kindle 1 already. My biggest reason for pre-ordering is the hope that I can do my browsing at the brick and mortar B&N, and buy any books that I like as ebooks. I sort of do that now, in that I browse at B&N, noting any books that I'm interested in, then when I'm home, I check to see if the ebook is available, but I will feel better about being able to reward B&N for the browsing experience by buying from them. Right now, I simply don't have room for anymore paper or hardback books. What I really hope is that having 3 major ebook stores (Amazon, Sony and B&N) will spark more and more selection in ebooks.
You make two really great points here. First, I do the same thing. I browse for books at physical stores, B&N as frequently as Borders, make notes and then go buy whichever are available as ebooks. I hadn't thought about it until you said it, but it will be nice to keep my business at the store where I browse. It seems a lot more fair.
Also, your second point is equally important: major retailers pushing ebooks, especially if they do it successfully, really pushes publishers to make titles available. Since the Kindle came out I've seen so many of my favorite books and authors become available as ebooks, and I'm certain this is causation, not just correlation.
Things would be even better if only B&N would do like Sony and Amazon and make a f%^&ing button or email address to send title requests to!
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2009, 12:09 AM   #18
Abulia
Enthusiast
Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: nook
I pre-ordered. The nook is my first e-reader so I (obviously) have no heavy bias or stake in this race. So I'm also surprised by the uprising of negative nook comments. Seems rather obvious to me that if the nook doesn't suit your needs then to find something that does.

It's not like I spend all my time in the Kindle forums harassing their users.

The perfect end all, be all device does not (yet) exist. Personally lack of web browser is a non-issue to me. I love the loaning option, free B&N reading, removable battery, etc, etc. Personally I don't like the physical real estate of a keyboard on a device like the Kindle. I'm using the reader to...read, not type a thesis.

I'm new around here but I'm sensing a bit of fanboy-ism much like gaming consoles.
Abulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:24 AM   #19
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
The Nook looks and sounds wonderful and I really love the cover flow. I'm very tempted indeed!
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:31 AM   #20
jes1
Zealot
jes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enoughjes1 will become famous soon enough

Device: Astak EZReader, Dell Axim x50v, iPod Touch, nook
There is a good chance I will be buying a Nook or a Que after I can get the chance to play with them. Most of the DRM'd books I have bought are in the EReader format, so either one would work. I have an Astak EZ reader and hoped the EReader drm'd format would be available by now, but it is not. I love my Astak for everything it can read, and will continue to use it. I just really want to be able to read my premium books on E-Ink, too. One way or the other, I will be able to do that soon.
jes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2009, 10:17 AM   #21
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abulia View Post
I pre-ordered. The nook is my first e-reader so I (obviously) have no heavy bias or stake in this race. So I'm also surprised by the uprising of negative nook comments. Seems rather obvious to me that if the nook doesn't suit your needs then to find something that does.

The perfect end all, be all device does not (yet) exist. Personally lack of web browser is a non-issue to me. I love the loaning option, free B&N reading, removable battery, etc, etc. Personally I don't like the physical real estate of a keyboard on a device like the Kindle. I'm using the reader to...read, not type a thesis.

I'm new around here but I'm sensing a bit of fanboy-ism much like gaming consoles.
So you noticed!

Seems this goes on in every forum - those who feel their device is the best bashing another...

I think the nook is interesting and innovative in their design. The things, as far as I am concerned, it has going for it is Ereader DRM and Adobe ADE.

Many bash Ereader DRM and its format here - I happen to like it and only buy books in that format. I use it on my netbook and it allows you to change to any font and size, supports hyperlinks, and has dictionary support.

So take the bashing with a grain of salt and sort out the spin being put out and then decide what best suits your needs.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:09 AM   #22
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abulia View Post

There does seem to be a a lot of "us vs them". I have no problems with any of the readers and whichever anyone wants to buy is good enough for me (I'm not paying for them and I get no kickbacks). I actually like the Nook but I'm still holding out for Plastic Logic.

That said, your post does come across as a little "bashy" to me because it reads as though Kindle owners (specifically) are in the Nook forum harassing its users (of which there are none yet).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:17 PM   #23
Texan08
Texan08 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I recently bought a Kindle 2 not a month ago, when I seen the Nook I thought I would try it also, so Pre Ordered it. I do like the Kindle 2 a lot. Will choose between the two and sell the one I don't want.
Texan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:45 PM   #24
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
That said, your post does come across as a little "bashy" to me because it reads as though Kindle owners (specifically) are in the Nook forum harassing its users (of which there are none yet).
Bashy???
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 02:08 AM   #25
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbone View Post
Bashy???
what? you prefer bushy?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:18 AM   #26
Lampman
Lampman
Lampman began at the beginning.

Device: KIndle DX 2nd edition
Living in the techno backwater of the UK,I envy you guys over the 'pond'.You have multi choices,whereas we are years behind(Kindle International just becoming available).
I notice on the US ebay site one seller is offering to ship the Nook at $299 plus $30 p&p.(This is offered as a pre order.)
I am tempted,but common sense tells me to await developments,I think Sony may be the next to offer wireless connection over here.Yet my heart says Nook.
Incidentally a name change may be required as Nook e(reader) means something entirely different in the UK!
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote