Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-13-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
Spoon Man
Groupie
Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 1
Bible on the kindle

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone knew of a decent application of the Bible (in any translation) for the Kindle. I've found some simply in a txt. format, but I was looking for something along the lines of a search-able application.
(i.e being able to search for Genese Ch.4 Vs 23-34)

Thanks,
Spoon Man
Spoon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I have 3 versions on my Kindle:

* The King James Bible with Book and Chapter navigation, formatted for the Kindle by Diana L. Mecum
* The English Standard Version from Crossway Bibles
* Tanakh: The Holy Scriptures, the New JPS Translation (1985)

You can navigate all by chapter and verse.

What I'd like to have one that also, when you underline, saves the note to "My Clippings" with book, chapter, and verse location. Another nice feature would be to have a heading at the top so you can know what book you are in. This would be nice, especially if you've just performed a phrase search.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-14-2009 at 08:47 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon Man View Post
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone knew of a decent application of the Bible (in any translation) for the Kindle. I've found some simply in a txt. format, but I was looking for something along the lines of a search-able application.
(i.e being able to search for Genese Ch.4 Vs 23-34)

Thanks,
Spoon Man
There are tons of Bible's for sale at Amazon for as little as $.79. They can all be searched and many/most have TOC's. The nice thing is you can download a sample to check it out or buy one and return it within 7 days if it's not what you want.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:21 AM   #4
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Try my version of KJV adapted for the Kindle (see the link below). I think it is the best available (I have purchased almost all existing ones to see if they are any good).

Please see http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TG4P8Q/

Regarding the searchability, one of my methods of navigation is what I call the Direct Verse Jump. For example, you type John.3.16 in the find window and double-click the "find" button and voila -- you are looking at John 3:16. Try it with the sample. But let the Kindle index the file first.

I also have a hyperlinked Table of Contents (books and chapters) plus if you press left or right with the joystick you can move between the books of the Bible.

Last edited by osnova; 11-02-2009 at 05:28 PM.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #5
Spoon Man
Groupie
Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 1
Hmm, I'm downloading that now, but how would it work for a Kindle one?
Spoon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2009, 11:27 PM   #6
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just to mention it in this topic. Spoon Man has experienced issues with the sample on his Kindle 1. Hopefully, it is something obvious (Calibre? bad download? not yet indexed file). Otherwise, I will have to create a version specifically for Kindle 1.

Last edited by osnova; 10-16-2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
super_kindle_fan
super_kindle_fan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
some good bible books for kindle

here are a few that i use:

http://www.amazon.com/Eastons-Dictio.../dp/B001VEJ09Q

http://www.amazon.com/Matthew-Henrys.../dp/B00267T3JE

These two are excellente. The first is a bible dictionary. works with any installed bible and provides indepth defintions as you roll over text

The second is an easy to navigate bible with a built in commentary.

Really good
super_kindle_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
Gollywalk
Gollywalk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle International
I would love to have a Afrikaans version of the Bible for my Kindle (latest International). I have read these and other advice on converting etc. But the files I find is in a .exe fomat (e-sword) and show up as a database in Calibre. Maybe someone more familiar can help!
Calibre also shows only Kindle 1 & 2 annd DX to convert to. Which one should I take.
If we can just get hold of a .prc file!
Gollywalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:48 PM   #9
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

Gollywalk,
It is very likely that the latest Afrikaans version is copyrighted and your e-sword module is protected by DRM. So, unfortunately, we here on this forum cannot help you with converting your Bible to the Kindle.

You could try and contact the copyright holder to ask for a Kindle version. I would volunteer to convert this Bible to the Kindle with the best available navigation if the copyright holder gives a permission.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #10
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

I'll post this in this thread as well.

The NET Bible (see bible.org for more info) with Direct Verse Jump and all of the notes is available for purchase on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002V1I4I6
Old 11-03-2009, 07:09 AM   #11
911jason
Zealot
911jason doesn't litter911jason doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Osnova, thanks SO MUCH for your work in bringing the NET Bible to the Kindle! I just ordered it and look forward to using it!
911jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:37 AM   #12
Gollywalk

Thanks, osnova. I will try to contact the South African Bible Society
Old 11-08-2009, 01:41 AM   #13
Gollywalk

NET Bible not available to South African users :-(
Old 11-08-2009, 03:36 AM   #14
911jason
Zealot
911jason doesn't litter911jason doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
How crazy is that? I wonder why...

Have you contacted the people at bible.org to see if they can change that?
911jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:39 PM   #15
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

Gollywalk,

That's weird. I would write Amazon support/customer service and describe the problem. Sometimes it's not intentional as I have found out on another publication. That one was not available for sale in the United States. I wrote the customer service and they fixed it - now that book is available for sale here.