Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #16
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willo142 View Post
so atleast for the time being, ill be getting a prs 500
Do not forget to get hack builder. It really does make a difference.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13185
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #17
Willo142
Enthusiast
Willo142 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Do not forget to get hack builder. It really does make a difference.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13185
ahh that seems interesting, are there any "major"/useful hacks i should know about? or do you just have to custom make your own?
Willo142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #18
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willo142 View Post
ahh that seems interesting, are there any "major"/useful hacks i should know about? or do you just have to custom make your own?
Hack builder is a small windows program that will help you to choose from quite a few nice existing hacks - all in single place, you do not have to apply individual hacks.
It will then create image file that you put on an SD card and switch the reader on with the card inserted.

Beware. If you use hack that lets you to delete a book, and the book you wish to delete is in Collection the reader can crash.

My favourite hacks are:
- page turn by joystick
- go to page number
- better icons by Diablo
- "small" fonts for titles - the titles of books will be displayed always in the same font size. In original firmware if the title of book is short it is displayed in much larger font size
- you can remap any button

There are other notable hacks available in hack builder that I do not use, such as time display on status line.

There is also a dictionary support somebody posted and also a game (mahjong?)

It is also possible to change font, I think

Browsing through those old PRS-500 threads might very interesting for you.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #19
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I've just gone back to my 500, after six months of not using it. (My 505 has screen controller problems and has been sent back to Sony for replacement or repair.)
The screen is much darker than the newer vizplex one used on the 505. It won't read EPub. And the PDF is not as good as the 505.
If I had never seen anything better, then I would probably still be happy with the 500. But the 505 is a much better reader, in my opinion. I've seriously been wondering about buying a second one, because the Sony 300 and 600 are not quite what I want.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:09 AM   #20
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I like the 505 too. I have looked at the 500 recently and it is a lot darker by contrast. I remember having lots more trouble trying to read pdf files on it.

I've become glued to the 300 since I got it. It goes right in my pocket when I venture out. But I do miss the hacks--wish there was one for a clock display on the 300! At least Sony has been including the "go to page #" and delete book functions.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert