Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #31
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floeee View Post
i guess on the iliad, you arent able to zoom with the finger tooo
That's correct. The "touch" functionality on the iLiad is also Wacom technology.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:18 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have already told you that with a Wacom touch screen you have to use the stylus. However, balanced against the high accuracy of the Wacom touch-screen, and the fact that, being "behind" the eInk screen, it doesn't affect the image quality, as the Sony's "resistive" touch screen does, this is, IMHO, a small price to pay.

Bear in mind, too, that with the DR or iLiad, you don't NEED to be able to drag the PDF around to be able to view it - you can see the whole page at once.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #33
Floeee
Groupie
Floeee began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s *returned* / Sony PRS-505 *returned* / Asus eee PC t91
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have already told you that with a Wacom touch screen you have to use the stylus. However, balanced against the high accuracy of the Wacom touch-screen, and the fact that, being "behind" the eInk screen, it doesn't affect the image quality, as the Sony's "resistive" touch screen does, this is, IMHO, a small price to pay.

Bear in mind, too, that with the DR or iLiad, you don't NEED to be able to drag the PDF around to be able to view it - you can see the whole page at once.
ok that are nice things again to hear, but also on the iliad you dont need to zoom? is it that readable on the smaller display? im really not able to find any videos or pictures with that good resolution from the iliad or the DR

what do you mean with "being behind the eInk screen" ? i thought that the irex are eInk devices
Floeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #34
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
what do you mean with "being behind the eInk screen" ? i thought that the irex are eInk devices
The Wacom "touch" functionality is placed behind the e-ink screen - in comparison to the "pressure touch" functionality of the Sony 600 and 700 models. In that case the "touch" functionality is placed in front of the screen, which may affect how bright and clear the screen appears. In the case of the Irex devices, the iLiad and the DR1000, the touch functionality is placed behind the screen.

"E-ink" is the screen that shows images and text, and "e-ink" is also a name for the special e-ink technology. "Irex" is a company that makes devices with e-ink screens. These devices are the iLiad and the DR1000. Many other companies are also making devices with e-ink screens.

To sum up, the touch functionality is not part of the e-ink screen, but a separate layer. The way Irex is doing it, using Wacom technology, they can place this layer behind the e-ink screen. Sony is using "pressure touch" and needs to place the touch layer on top of the e-ink screen.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #35
Floeee
Groupie

ok so i thought ^^

but thanks for the explanation how wacom technology is integrated
im very happy with my wacom intous3 and so it has more advantages than i thought to have this kind of touchscreen

best advantage is the precision, wacom is famous for
you dont have to press the display that hard, like on the prs600 is described

but you are only able to use the touch screen with their wacom pens, so if this pen gets lost, you cant use your finger instead
but for me its no problem, because i have enough pens ^^
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #36
Ea
Wizard

AFAIK you need an "active" pen, and, for example, an intuous pen won't work. I know it didn't work for me with the iLiad I had. Other people might have some more input on this.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #37
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
AFAIK you need an "active" pen, and, for example, an intuous pen won't work. I know it didn't work for me with the iLiad I had. Other people might have some more input on this.
True, I tried my friend's intuous pen, and it did nothing although I think my pen worked on HIS device for some reason.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:53 AM   #38
Floeee
Groupie

ok thanks for this answer

so im writing since days questions over questions, because i want to buy an irex device

but i cant find nowhere the real main differences between those two devices

whats different?? except of larger display and using tabs??

i would be also glad about some videos or good pictures for comparison

because in my mind, the iliad2 is better, except of display
usb hub, handy, wifi, cheaper

DR is a bit faster and bigger display but also about over 500g which is very heavy

but everyone is saying, that the DR is so much better...
Old 09-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #39
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Quote:

DR is a bit faster and bigger display but also about over 500g which is very heavy

but everyone is saying, that the DR is so much better...
I don't really find the DR to be heavy at all, but I'm used to dealing with much heavier laptops in the same situations.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:21 PM   #40
Floeee
Groupie

yeah me2 but i want to get away from these

i read about 20 pages on the prs505 and im used to lie in the bed and hold my books with one hand, and that was really hard after 20 pages on the sony

the DR is MORE than 2 times heavier
and the iliad is about 30-40% lighter than the DR

how do you guys read with the DR ?? i mean in which body position? can i hold it with one hand? i guess not

weight is really the only thing that holds me from buying the DR and not the iliad
Old 09-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #41
PhishStyx
The me that I am

I don't generally have problems holding the DR in one hand, but then I don't normally read in bed, either.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:58 PM   #42
Ea
Wizard

The iLiad is 435 g and the DR1000 is about 585 g. It's not such a great difference to me. Neither can be held comfortably one-handed, at least not without a bit of support, in my opinion. It'd take a much lighter and smaller device.

Last edited by Ea; 09-03-2009 at 05:07 PM. Reason: not 475 g but 435 g
Old 09-03-2009, 04:59 PM   #43
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
These are the reasons why I switched from iLiad to DR1000:

- I have a lot of A4 pdfs
- They have often long filenames (iLiad contentlister cuts after some characters (18?) - but there is a new community one)
- In meetings I often have several documents open
- Better battery managment (ok, its not that better)
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:04 PM   #44
Floeee
Groupie

battery at the iliad should be about 50% better

and also the weight is listed with 388g

everything in this matrix

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix
Old 09-03-2009, 05:05 PM   #45
Ea
Wizard

On the iLiad, the page turn "flip-bar" has a known issue; some times a short pressure which should only turn one page, might be interpreted by the device as a long pressure which turns five pages. I.e., the flip bar "sticks" some times. It's not a *huge* issue, but it can be annoying at times. I have seen a suggestion of turning off the "long press"/5 pages turn option, but haven't tried it out.