Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-14-2008, 10:15 AM   #1
danko767
danko767 began at the beginning.

Device: none
The PRS-505 and Cyrillic alphabet

I want to buy this gadget as a present. But I have one problem.
We are Bulgarian. We read English and a lot in Bulgarian, which uses Cyrillic alphabet.
On the specs it says the device can open .pdf and .doc files, but I wonder if same files in Cyrillic will be readable on it?
I wrote to Sony and Waterstones in UK 3 weeks ago, but no answer.
If nobody can positively answer, can someone please try to download something in Cyrillic (.doc/.pdf - I am not aware if any ebooks at all exist in Bulgarian) and see if it reads on you device?
Will be very grateful if you can help!
Best Regards,
danko767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Welcome to the forum! I have no experience with documents that contain the Cyrillic alphabet, but a quick search revealed a couple of threads that might provide the information you need.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=cyrillic

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=cyrillic

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2008, 12:57 PM   #3
danko767

Thank you Dreamer!
Old 10-16-2008, 09:39 AM   #4
torbich
Zealot
torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 602, LBook V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by danko767 View Post
We are Bulgarian. We read English and a lot in Bulgarian, which uses Cyrillic alphabet.
On the specs it says the device can open .pdf and .doc files, but I wonder if same files in Cyrillic will be readable on it?
The Cyrillic .doc and .txt files won't be readable on Sony PRS 505 "out of the box". pdf files with embedded fonts will be.
But you can easily reflash your unit with new fonts, supporting Cyrillic alphabet - there is a huge topic on it here: http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7155 (in Russian, but you should understand, all you need is in the first post).
torbich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:27 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by danko767 View Post
The 505 cannot open .doc files directly. The library software uses a copy of Microsoft word (if present on your machine) to convert the file to rtf which the Sony can read. I doubt that the converted file will be readable unless you have the correct fonts loaded on the machine.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
PRSCustomizer has support for Unicode fonts.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:42 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can replace the fonts on the Sony, yes, but personally I think you'd be better off with a device like the CyBook Gen3 which allows you to load your own fonts onto the machine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:19 AM   #8
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Indeed either the Cybook Gen3 or the Bebook /lBook may be a better bet as they support unicode fonts.

Also you'll get Warrenty support, unlike the Sony.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:14 PM   #9
danko767

Once again thank you all for the enlightenment!