Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 12-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #196
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Nice. And some authors I have no previous experience with. Double nice.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #197
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Great list! Thanks, Billi!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2014, 12:59 AM   #198
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
And the poll is up! Great selection Billi!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:47 AM   #199
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I'm away from home so this is my first log-in for a couple of days. Looks to be a fascinating theme and a great list Billi, so thank you from me too. Now to the poll.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #200
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
o dear, doesn't time fly! Today I got a bathroom stripped, and that is only the beginning....

Thaks Billi for the great selection! and on the previous discussion, I also quite like the idea of an open months.
Now, rush to voting!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2015, 12:53 PM   #201
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Who would like to take their turn selecting the nominations for the upcoming first rotating month of the year in February?

(if you have any questions, you can refer to the first post or just ask)
Old 01-15-2015, 01:28 PM   #202
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If no one appears, I could have a go at generating a list of nominees.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:29 PM   #203
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes please HIMS!
Old 01-17-2015, 07:15 PM   #204
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

That was quick! HomeInMyShoes, February is yours. I'll ask for your nominations at the beginning of the month.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:18 AM   #205
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I shall endeavor to have a list to you shortly. Hooray for more book reading research.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:37 AM   #206
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

I'm done compiling my list. A little extra time prior to voting for everyone to do some perusing.

Choosing Canada as a theme is absurd, but I am doing it anyway. It is a big list; it is a big country. There are many regions from which to pull stories. There are many omissions. Canada is a gigantic mess of a country where saying you are Canadian is akin to saying you have no real defining characteristics. I’m sorry, that’s how we are.

I’ve tried to be fair and pick books that are reasonably available. I also wanted this to be a relatively modern list. I checked Amazon (.ca, .co.uk, .com.au, .com) for eBook availability and I checked Book Depository for paper availability considerations. There are a few books not readily available within Australia and the United Kingdom as eBooks and maybe one title that is difficult to find at all with The Grey Islands. But its availability should be good around mid-February when a new edition is being released. I removed a few titles for availability and made some additions as well for that reason. I was a little saddened. Trying to paint a picture of such a large country in such a short list is absurd.

Barney’s Version by Mordecai Richler
The Colony of Unrequited Dreams by Wayne Johnston
February by Lisa Moore
Fugitive Pieces by Anne Michaels
A Good Man by Guy Vanderhaege
The Grey Islands by John Steffler
Indian Horse by Richard Wagamese
Kamouraska by Anne Hébert
Kicking the Sky by Anthony De Sa
The Love of a Good Woman by Alice Munro
Monkey Beach by Eden Robinson
Mercy Among the Children by David Adams Richard
No Great Mischief by Alistair MacCleod
Obasan by Joy Kogawa
Sanaaq by Mitiarjuk Nappaaluk
The Stone Angel by Margaret Laurence
Two Solitudes by Hugh MacLennan
Old 01-24-2015, 11:08 PM   #207
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Looks like a great list HIMS. Alice Munro is a wonderful writer, though I don't know the book you have listed. No Great Mischief is a knockout. One of those books that stays in the memory, though it's a few years since I read it. I don't know the others (apart from seeing the film of Barney's Version), and I'm looking forward to finding out more about them.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #208
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Wow! As a fellow Canuck I'm thrilled with this list. I've read all but one of them (many of them more than once) so Sanaaq will get my vote as the only one I haven't read.

My favourite of the bunch is Mercy Among the Children and the most "literary" is likely Fugitive Pieces. I commend you for putting together an outstanding representation of Canadian literature!
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:29 AM   #209
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I like your selection very much and plan to read as much of these books as possible, most probably during my holiday.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:45 AM   #210
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I just can't resist one more comment about this list. I love that you left a few author's off the list.

No Michael Ondaatje. I actually really like a few of his earlier books, but they're still overrated.

And no Margaret Atwood! I'm really sick of Margaret Atwood being the face of Canadian literature.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote