Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Contacts and Calendar syncing

What do you use to sync your contacts and calendars for your Apple devices?

1. Outlook
2. iCloud
3. Google
4. other (please list)

Right now I use Outlook but am thinking of changing.

Thanks,
Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
iCloud. Automatic syncing that I don't have to fuss with is one of the reasons I adopted the Apple ecosystem. You do need at least Lion and iOS 5 to make it all work though.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
iCloud. Automatic syncing that I don't have to fuss with is one of the reasons I adopted the Apple ecosystem. You do need at least Lion and iOS 5 to make it all work though.
I am running a Win 7 machine. Shouldn't have any trouble with Win 7. On my iPad and iPhone I have iOS 6.1.2
Old 03-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Google. But that's because I have an Android device in the mix. I just add the Google Calendar in Apple's Calendar on my iPad and Mac and it works fine - Reminders automatically come up in the Notification Center which is nice.

I don't use Contacts though (I refuse to keep an address book, rather know people's addresses and numbers by heart), so can't help you there.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

I use Google for both calendar and contacts. Reason: It works with Mac OS X, iOS, Windows, and Android.

I used to use Outlook for both, but it is PITA to use when you have multiple OSes. Google works without any issues. I also use an IMAP email account so all my devices/computers have my latest emails and email folders.
Advert
Old 03-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Ditto. I am a legacy mac.com user. I sync notes and reminders too. Love the notification panel that's on OS X now. I also have shared calendars with other iCloud users in my household.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
sadievan
Wizard

Thanks all.

Right now I use Outlook, but am thinking of switching to either iCloud or Google. I run Win 7 on my machines. I have the iCloud toolbar installed and use iCloud for notes, reminders, etc, but not for my contacts and calendars.

The main reason I'm thinking of dropping Outlook is I am thinking of updating MS Office to 2013 and getting the Student version (cheaper) which does not have Outlook.

I guess if anyone has any negatives about either iCloud or Google it would help me maybe make my decision. LOL.

Also, any ideas on if I decide on iCloud and later decide to go with Google, any negative/drawbacks.

Carol

Last edited by sadievan; 03-11-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Lightbulb

Google. And the best calendar app to sync with Google on iOS, is Calendars by Readdle. (Apple's default Calendar app is pitifully primitive compared to the Readdle Calendars.)
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #9
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Google. But that's because I have an Android device in the mix. I just add the Google Calendar in Apple's Calendar on my iPad and Mac and it works fine - Reminders automatically come up in the Notification Center which is nice.

I don't use Contacts though (I refuse to keep an address book, rather know people's addresses and numbers by heart), so can't help you there.
Did you set up your google account as an Exchange account? I set mine up as a gmail account and I get an option to sync my calendar but not my contacts.

Carol
Old 03-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #10
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I use Google for both calendar and contacts. Reason: It works with Mac OS X, iOS, Windows, and Android.

I used to use Outlook for both, but it is PITA to use when you have multiple OSes. Google works without any issues. I also use an IMAP email account so all my devices/computers have my latest emails and email folders.
Are you saying you set up your google account as an IMAP account on your iPad? I set mine up as a gmail account on my phone and it gives me the option to sync my calendar but not contacts.

Carol
Old 03-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #11
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Google. And the best calendar app to sync with Google on iOS, is Calendars by Readdle. (Apple's default Calendar app is pitifully primitive compared to the Readdle Calendars.)
When you set up your google acct on your iPad, iPhone, etc., did you set it up as gmail, Exchange or IMAP acct? I set mine up as a gmail acct and get an option to sync mail, calendar, notes, but not contacts.

Carol
Old 03-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #12
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Carol, just set up your Gmail account as an IMAP account, then you get the option to sync both calendars and contacts.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #13
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Carol, just set up your Gmail account as an IMAP account, then you get the option to sync both calendars and contacts.
Do you know what is the difference between setting up as an IMAP acct or Exchange acct.?

Also I've been searching and found that you can set up a CardDAV acct for contacts.

Not sure what the difference is on all of these.

Thanks,
Carol
Old 03-13-2013, 01:53 AM   #14
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Do you know what is the difference between setting up as an IMAP acct or Exchange acct.?
Technically, I don't know and don't really care what's the difference, but in practical terms, when I initially set up my Gmail account as an Exchange account, the syncing of contacts used to be very slow and unreliable for me. Whereas if I set up the Google account as a regualar IMAP email account (using the default "Gmail" icon offered by iOS), then syncing the contacts and everything else works smoothly, as expected.

Also, if you do decide to use Calendars by Readdle to sync your calendars, which I highly recommend, that app sets up its own connection to Google's calendars, so that for the Readdle Calendars, it's irrelevant whatever you set up in the iOS environment. Apple's default Calendar app is so infuriatingly lame compared to Readdle Calendars, I stopped using it completely, so that it's completely empty of data on my iOS devices. I wish there was a way to uninstall the default Calendar app from my iOS devices, keeping only its icon, which would open the Readdle Calendars instead, but of course iOS doesn't make that possible.

(Hell, iOS doesn't even make it possible to set up a different browser as the default browser, instead forcing the lame Safari onto everyone -- whereas I'd like to set up Atomic Web Browser as my default browser, and I'd like to stop using Safari altogether. Well, Microsoft and Apple are just the same when it comes to forcing their lame software products down the users' throats.)
Old 03-13-2013, 03:18 AM   #15
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Technically, I don't know and don't really care what's the difference, but in practical terms, when I initially set up my Gmail account as an Exchange account, the syncing of contacts used to be very slow and unreliable for me. Whereas if I set up the Google account as a regualar IMAP email account (using the default "Gmail" icon offered by iOS), then syncing the contacts and everything else works smoothly, as expected.
That's weird cause that's how I set up my Gmail account using the Gmail icon on my iPhone and iPad and I don't have the option to sync calendars on either.

Carol