Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #76
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The rumored display is a step into the past
  • 7.85" 1024x768 = 163 PPI
Does suggest a lower price point though.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #77
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Does suggest a lower price point though.
The figures making the rounds are $249 to $299 for the entry level, which would be a higher price point than the competition while, if the leaks are correct, offering a lower resolution screen.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #78
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The figures making the rounds are $249 to $299 for the entry level, which would be a higher price point than the competition while, if the leaks are correct, offering a lower resolution screen.
Oh I expect it to be higher than the competition; Honestly I don't think Apple cares all that much about their competitors' pricing. But I mean with retina we could be looking at a $349+ price tag.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #79
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Oh I expect it to be higher than the competition; Honestly I don't think Apple cares all that much about their competitors' pricing.
Never have, probably never will.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #80
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Typical for Apple. Give you less and charge you more.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #81
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

Quote:
As I recall that was Sony's MO a couple decades back. It's just something you can get away with when you're top dog in the market.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #82
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As I recall that was Sony's MO a couple decades back. It's just something you can get away with when you're top dog in the market.
Well, that didn't work out that well for Sony, did it?
Old 10-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #83
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
It's the value of the apple. Now just image if it had a banana on the back instead...
Old 10-16-2012, 11:05 PM   #84
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

Quote:
Well, that didn't work out that well for Sony, did it?
I mean during the eighties. When Sony was top dog in consumer electronics.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:30 AM   #85
bugjd
bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bugjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, paperwhite, iPhone 4s, iPad
Pretty interested to see this. I've avoided the iPad because I think it's too big for me to find it practical, but I've not really been that impressed with my Kindle Fire in the year I've had it. a smaller iPad may be the thing.
bugjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:41 AM   #86
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugjd View Post
Pretty interested to see this. I've avoided the iPad because I think it's too big for me to find it practical, but I've not really been that impressed with my Kindle Fire in the year I've had it. a smaller iPad may be the thing.
Steve Jobs was famously against a smaller iPad even saying at one point:

Quote:
While one could increase the resolution of the display to make up for some of the difference, it is meaningless unless your tablet also includes sandpaper so that the user can sand down their fingers to around one-quarter of their present size.
I wonder where Tim Cook decided to put the sandpaper
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #87
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
But, that'll be a magical-revolutionary 163ppi.
Well I do have an Acer A500 and live with the ppi which I am pretty sure is the same BUT the problem is its size and weight.

I cannot say I do not the Apple ecosystem because I haven't tried anything to explore it. I entertained the touch 4 to try it out but decided against it. I personally am not thrilled with the touch 5 for the price. So it is the mini or nothing to try their ecosystem.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #88
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post

Maybe they decided that long pointed fingernails were the answer.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #89
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post

To be fair the rumored 7.85" display makes the touch targets exactly the same size as they are on the iPhone. At least when developers follow Apple's interface guidelines.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #90
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
To be fair the rumored 7.85" display makes the touch targets exactly the same size as they are on the iPhone. At least when developers follow Apple's interface guidelines.
Care to elaborate? I would expect the touch targets to be larger on a larger display device.