Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #1036
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
So I finally got to read for about an hour and a half yesterday (stupid addictive forum!), with 2.1.1. Page turns are nice and fast again, BUT, I had loads and loads of dead taps. Also unresponsive swipes. After about an hour of reading, almost every page gave me no response at first try to turn it... I had to try a second time and sometimes even a third time I tried different areas of the screen and different swipe and tap techniques...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #1037
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
I've loaded 2.1.1 and it's never missed a tap.

I've found the softer and quicker I tap the better it responds.

Steve
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #1038
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post

Steve
If it has never missed a tap, how could one way respond better then another, or are you reffering to other people's comments?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #1039
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Missed taps at 2.0.0 until I learned to tap it quick and soft.......

After loading 2.1.1 it's never missed a tap.

Steve
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #1040
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If it has never missed a tap, how could one way respond better then another, [...]
Teehee smartipants

Quote:

Steve
Hmm. I've had another hour's read and it only missed one tap this time. Maybe it was just as tired as I was last night. Or, I might have mainly been tapping this time, while last night I was mainly swiping. Do you ever swipe? Maybe swipes don't work as well any more while tapping has got better?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #1041
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I can reproduce that with 2.0.2. Here's what I did as I wasn't completely sure of your steps:

- Open the shelves list
- Press the plus to add a new shelf
- Enter a name and press "Next"
- Press the plus to add books
- Press the plus next to at least two books to add them to the shelf
- Press the search icon to find books to add to the shelf
- Enter a search term
- Select the result for a book (selecting an author seems to be OK)
- The Touch restarts

That is a consistent crash for me.

You are a patient person if you are willing to build those shelves. I haven't tested that one. But, I have quickly built a shelf with 333 books on it and will try it when I some time to do the WiFi part of it. It's the time that it takes after the reset that's the problem.
In terms of the search crashing--yep, that's it. Basically, if you add books and then try to do a search, you get a crash. If you simply open up a shelf and then do a search, no crash.

As for the shelves causing my wifi freeze--I think it's more OCD than patience. But I'm almost positive it has something to do with the shelves, because both times this has happened, they are the only variable to have changed.

The first time, it was

--Load new Kobo update, have problems, factory reset
--Load all my books back on (about 800 or so)
--Do a wifi update with no problems
--Start filling up shelves, try to wifi update, update and device freeze

And this time it is

--Device freezes because of wifi update, do factory reset
--Load all my books back on
--Do a wifi update with no problems
--Start filling up shelves, try to wifi update, update and device freeze

Both times, it was after I had either

1. Filled a certain number of shelves

or

2. Filled a certain number of shelves with a certain number of books

So yeah. I'm married to a software engineer, so I'm a big believer in providing as much data as I can.
Corpsegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #1042
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:

Steve

For me, it's been better than 2.0, but not perfect.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #1043
antxc
antxc began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
...Page turns are nice and fast again, BUT, I had loads and loads of dead taps...
I have found this to be the case too. However, the dead taps are not consistent so I am unsure if it is just me or the device that is to blame. One day I was tapping two or three times for every page turn but the next day was fine. I might have just been tired but cannot be sure yet.
antxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #1044
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
So far as well as the faster page turns I am finding less dead taps with 2.1.1 and the occasional dead tap I do have is soooooo less frustrating because I don't need to wait so long for the page NOT to turn before I decide to have another tap.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #1045
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
So far as well as the faster page turns I am finding less dead taps with 2.1.1 and the occasional dead tap I do have is soooooo less frustrating because I don't need to wait so long for the page NOT to turn before I decide to have another tap.
Bingo! Yes. It's a fairly basic rule of user interfaces, that something has to happen in response to a user action. Without feedback the user get's all frustrated. With it, small flaws are much easier to handle.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #1046
wondergirl
wondergirl began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
ok, an ongoing issue re the latest calibre v. 0.8.6.6 and kobo version 2.1.1

Here is the msg that calibre is sending when attaching the kobo.

Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset of your Kobo.
wondergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #1047
wondergirl
wondergirl began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
update!!! Got it to work!

Here's how for anyone that needs to know:

In Calibre while kobo is attached and you get that msg.

Right click "Device" in Calibre, select "Configure Device" then check off "attempt to support newer firmware". That worked.

Last edited by wondergirl; 08-30-2012 at 09:19 PM.
wondergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #1048
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl View Post
update!!! Got it to work!

Here's how for anyone that needs to know:

In Calibre while kobo is attached and you get that msg.

Right click "Device" in Calibre, select "Configure Device" then check off "attempt to support newer firmware". That worked.
I'm curious, did you follow the instructions I pointed you to yesterday, or did you just read the warning message you posted above and follow the instructions in it? Or did you do a search and find one of the many other posts about the same thing?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #1049
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I can't comment on the reset behaviour as I can't get 2.1.1 installed on my Touch, but I am curious about the rest.

What do you mean by this:

Are you saying that if you have a book on the device and want to replace it with an updated version you:

- Delete the book using the Touch
- Power off the Touch and power it on again
- Connect to the computer and copy the book over

If so, what firmware version were you using? And how did you come to that sequence of step? And why?

I can see one reason. With FW 2.0.x, there is an issue if you delete using the Touch and then try and put another copy of the book on. A WiFi or desktop app sync between these steps will fix this. My quick test of power off and on didn't.

But, if you are updating a the version of an epub, you don't need to delete the book first. Replacing the book will do a lot of this, depending on the firmware version and the changes.

With FW 1.9.17, replacing the file worked fine unless there were major structure changes. In this case, you could get a reboot when reading the book. But generally, you could read, but navigating via the TOC didn't work. So, fixing spelling or the style sheet would be OK.

With FW 2.0.0, replacing the book usually caused to be deleted when the Touch started up.

With FW 2.0.2, it was mainly back to the 1.9.17 status. But, some changes, such as the title, could get it deleted.

I am running FW 2.0.2 now. When I delete a book using the Touch, I can't replace it until I do a WiFi or a desktop sync. If I try, it gets ignored when I disconnect the Touch. If I delete it from calibre, I can replace it straight away.

If you saw a behaviour different to this, I am interested in what it was. Or if I have the details wrong, correct me. Getting this right will help me with some other things I am doing.

I suspect you were being polite when you said that.
Who? Me? Polite?

I came to that sequence of steps when I found that after simply copying over an updated copy of a book, it sometimes disappeared from the library. I never noticed the file being deleted from the Kobo as others have reported with later firmware versions but being unable to see/open it was just as annoying. I think I started it around 1.9.14.

I noticed the reboot on 1.9.17 rather often since I tend to copy the book to the KT when I first obtain it and then start reading to check formatting, TOC, etc. I then use Sigil to do things like changing the stylesheet, adding modifying a TOC, modifying the chapter structure to a file per chapter if needed, adding a cover image if needed, changing the cover image formatting since I like the following as my cover page code:

<div>
<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="100%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 540 720" width="100%" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
<image height="720" transform="translate(0 0)" width="540" xlink:href="../Images/cover.jpg"></image>
</svg>
</div>

This probably does qualify as fairly major changes. When I tried deleting the book from the KT before copying the new copy over, it worked some of the time. When I added the power cycle, it -- so far -- has worked every time regardless of the firmware version in use.

I haven't been using Calibre much lately as anything other than the first pass for converting ebooks. What I was seeing with Calibre was not all of the books on my SD card showed in Calibre which makes me more than a little nervous about adding a book. When I look at the Calibre metadata file stored in the root of the SD card, it listed only 5 of the 1400 books on the card and one was a .CBR format file. Actually, haven't tried this since I updated to Calibre 0.8.66 so will connect with that and see what happens --- hmmm, 17 seconds and get list of books on device reaches 100%, 5 minutes later, the task is still running. 5 minutes, 30 seconds finally stops. Clicking on the Card A icon shows 6 books on the card. 5 1/2 minutes to lose 1400 books....

I wanted to use Calibre since it does clean up the database when it deletes a book but the behaviour above makes it a non-starter here.

As for installing 2.1.1, one friend had an issue with installation. We removed his SD card, did the factory restore back to 1.9.9, connected to his desktop and let the autoupdate to 2.0.0 run. After this was finished, we did the copy update files to the .kobo directory routine and the update completed successfully. Powered down, plugged his SD card back in, powered up and left it to rebuild the library. All seems to be okay now.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #1050
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
On the device in the directory ".kobo" is an SQLite database called "KoboReader.sqlite". Open that with a SQLite viewer and look in the table DBVersion. There is a single entry for the database version.

If your reaction to the above is "What?", don't worry, someone will come up with the info.
DB version on my KT 2.1.1 is 55.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote