Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #226
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
My overall numbers just got a bit of a challenge -- I got in 1.5 kg of a lovely new aran weight, undyed, blue-faced leicester yarn that is an absolute joy to work with. I did a bit of swatching last night with it and it is wonderful to knit -- soft, almost cashmere feel that slides on the needles and doesn't split at all.

Sadly, I've never been able to knit and read at the same time. My mother (who got me started knitting) used to be able to do it, and I've tried a few times over the years to do it, but have finally given up. What I can do is "read" an Audible book, but that is so very much slower than real reading.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #227
Polarpenguin
Groupie
Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS- T3S, Kobo aura H2O Kobo aura One Kobo libra
On track for my 52 Book goal, having just finished No:6 + a short story. Need to start on a classic, as I've so far neglected that side of the challenge. Though 1 classic a month will still suffice as I was aiming for 10.

Last edited by Polarpenguin; 02-03-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Polarpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #228
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^If you redefine classic and you could be half done that part of the challenge as well.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #229
Polarpenguin
Groupie
Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ Very true. Though as much as I love him, I doubt Jeremy Clarkson's Driven to Distraction could be classified as a classic. The Daily Mail would spontaneously combust if that even happened
Old 02-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #230
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarpenguin View Post
^ Very true. Though as much as I love him, I doubt Jeremy Clarkson's Driven to Distraction could be classified as a classic. The Daily Mail would spontaneously combust if that even happened
Well, it certainly IS a classic of arrogance and self-conceit, but I guess that probably doesn't quite qualify.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #231
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well, it certainly IS a classic of arrogance and self-conceit, but I guess that probably doesn't quite qualify.
Ha ha. I'm with you on that one .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #232
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Well, the first month is over, how goes the progress boys and girls?
14 books and 4349 pages. About the same in terms of books as 2011 (13), but fewer pages (5200 or so). I was reading the D'Artagnan romances last January, and they're huge!

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-04-2012 at 08:11 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #233
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post

Jeremy Clarkson arrogant?! Why, I never. OK, he is. But incredibly funny, too. I have to make sure I'm not eating when I read or watch him.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #234
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
I'm almost 1/3 of the way to my reading goal due to an addiction to 2 new (for me) series: Anne Perry's Charlotte and Thomas Pitt and Ed Mcbain's 87th precinct. This is starting as a mystery year. I do hope to get into my biographies and histories later on.

Dean
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #235
Polarpenguin
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
Jeremy Clarkson arrogant?! Why, I never. OK, he is. But incredibly funny, too. I have to make sure I'm not eating when I read or watch him.
This exactly.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #236
rpmazur
Connoisseur
rpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheese

Device: Calibre (for MAC), MoonReader (Android)
Dune

Has anyone read Dune by Frank Herbert? I've been reading it since mid December and while my available time for reading hasn't been what it was while I was in Afghanistan, I felt the mid section of the book was extremely slow. It's picked up again in the last 1/3rd of the book (I'm roughly 80% done with it).

Was just wondering what your thoughts were.

V/R

Rob
rpmazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #237
rpmazur
Connoisseur
rpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Well, the first month is over, how goes the progress boys and girls?

11 books and 3,300 pages. Those are shocking numbers for me.
I thought I'd be done with Dune by now.

See my posting about the book.

Rob
Old 02-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #238
rpmazur
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
With January quickly coming to a close, I wonder how you all feel about your chosen challenges.

After waffling back and forth I finally decided, the other day,that I will once again reach for that elusive 100 books mark.

That being said, I've already made one misstep: The Iliad. I've put it on the back burner. I just couldn't keep up due to my wanting to read other things (namely, The Dresden Files). I do plan on returning to it at some point (probably the summer).
How are those?? I watched the SciFi series loosely based on those books for a short period of time before I deployed. I will have to see if those are in my recently expanded library.

Rob
Old 02-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #239
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmazur View Post
How are those?? I watched the SciFi series loosely based on those books for a short period of time before I deployed. I will have to see if those are in my recently expanded library.

Rob
Loosely based is a good description.

I am really enjoying the series. I'm currently reading book 6 - Death Masks (GoodReads link). I like the Dresdenverse more and more with each book; it just keeps getting better.

I started a thread about the series here.. It includes a list of all of the novels and short stories in chronological order. Spoilers are hidden.

Alansplace is our resident Dresden guru!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:01 AM   #240
Mobile_Reader
Mobile_Reader began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I've read Dune when I was 15 or so (it's been a while) - and my way to deal with its 'slowness' was playing Dune game on PC as I was reading the book
Mobile_Reader is offline   Reply With Quote