Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Yea, thats what editors are for hehe
Vincent, you really need to learn how to use apostrophes correctly if you're going to write. You miss them out where they're needed, and add them where they're not!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #17
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I'm a bit of a minimalist, but maybe this will help.

"Poor kid. He got himself a job to make a polished public figure out of an old crusty pilot that had a bad habit of speaking his mind."
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #18
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Since I'm a nit-picker, I want it to say "make a polished public figure out of him?". Active, not passive.

In my head it flows better that way, take and make instead of take and making.
I hear lots of ppl attack the passive voice, and I realize that in some places it just not work as well... but I have never understood the blanket rule of "never use" that I have heard some speak.

Make might work better here though because if you cut up the sentence...

The poor kid was just trying to [do his job...] / [ make a polished...]

Hmmm.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #19
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I hear lots of ppl attack the passive voice, and I realize that in some places it just not work as well... but I have never understood the blanket rule of "never use" that I have heard some speak.
I'm not saying a writer should never use it. They both have their use, and they both fill a function. What I'm saying is you shouldn't switch from one to the other in the middle of a sentence.

Though I admit that I prefer active, because it suits me and how I write better. I like my characters to be proactive, not reactive to whatever I/fate tosses their way.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As a scientist by training, I have a bad habit of writing far too much in the passive, since it's the way I had to write professionally for many years.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #21
Just4kix
Zealot
Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
"I really felt bad for him. His job was to take a crusty flight jock and make him a shiny clean public figure. "

Bill was aware of the young man hovering anxiously at his elbow. Poor sod, he's only doing his job. It can't be easy trying to turn a crusty old flight jock into JFK.
Just4kix is offline   Reply With Quote